The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
I was just thinking that since you wouldnt have a jump ball there was no need to give the signal.
You mean like on just about every held ball?
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Thanks for all the pointers guys. It's these little tweaks that really make the difference between a good official and an excellent one. I think I am good, but I want to be excellent.

Appreciate the feedback.

Take-away: In the future, maybe don't even signal at all until I confer, that was I don't have to reverse anything, should I decide my initial view was

A) Wrong, give the ball to white, or
B) Still not sure, go to the arrow.

I agree that 2-person mechanics, each official always has 2 boundary lines. But if you guys do it differently for backcourt, so be it.

From your OP, if you knew beyond doubt the direction you would have signaled it immediately, I'm assuming. Since you hesitated and looked to your partner for help, you have limited yourself to 2 options. 1) He signals the direction and you move on, or 2) he signals to you that he's not sure, and at that point you would signal jump ball and go AP.

Once you look to your partner for help, I think it's in your best interest to NOT make the call because of the hesitation. Going AP is not the end of the world. Just tell the one coach that's still upset that it was one of those bang-bang plays that neither of you saw, and that you're not going to guess. The conversation should end there!
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 01:07pm
#thereferee99

Berkut, dont discount Bob's #2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1) I think it's your partner's call (he has that line, even in the BC, even in transitions).

2) You can try reading the players before making a call.
I know you were looking away toward partner for help, but the players reactions can speak volumes.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 07:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Doesn't Work Well In Transition ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Give the official the line based on whose primary it is. The argument is that, especially in the front court above the FT line extended, the lead is not even looking there (cause it's not their primary). Interesting, but I've pretty much dismissed that thinking -- how can a trail call a ball that slowly approaches the sideline and may or may not have touched OOB on the other side of the court?
IAABO mechanics give this as an option.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I agree that 2-person mechanics, each official always has 2 boundary lines.
Trail has 3 lines.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Trail has 3 lines.
Agreed, but I don't consider the division line a boundary line, which I specified.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Trail has 3 lines.
I had a partner once who did 3 lines before the game...does that count?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 12:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I had a partner once who did 3 lines before the game...does that count?
$3.50 buys a can of 5 Hour Energy. Cheaper than the lines.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Trail has 3 lines.
Actually, as trail you have two lines and as lead you have two lines. There shouldn't be a situation where you are actively covering three lines at once. If so, you got problems.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, as trail you have two lines and as lead you have two lines. There shouldn't be a situation where you are actively covering three lines at once. If so, you got problems.
Division line.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Division line.
Yes, I realize this.

As lead, you have the endline and the sideline closest to you.

As trail, you have the division line and the sideline closest to you. (Technically speaking, you have the endline at the other end of the court, but by the time you get down there, for all intents and purposes, you are new lead.)
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 06:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Optional Option ???

Quote:
As lead, you have the endline and the sideline closest to you. As trail, you have the division line and the sideline closest to you. (Technically speaking, you have the endline at the other end of the court, but by the time you get down there, for all intents and purposes, you are new lead.)
You guys that are using NFHS mechanics are lucky. Two-person IAABO mechanics give officials a few options which must be pregamed. For example, the lead may have the sideline only up to the free throw line extended, so the trail has his own sideline and the opposite sideline from the free throw line extended all the way back to the backcourt endline, basically your primary coverage area. My personal opinion is that an out of bounds call should almost be instinctive, and should be called decisively, almost all the time. It's tough to go from a game with partner A on Tuesday night using boundary responsibilities similar to those used by the NFHS, and then use the new IAABO boundary responsibilities on Friday night with partner B. I wish IAABO would go with one, or the other, and forget the options.

The manual is also poorly written. It describes the new IAABO option, but doesn't bother to explain what to do if you choose not to use the option. Also, the new option doesn't work in transition, or during a press/press break situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes, I realize this.

As lead, you have the endline and the sideline closest to you.

As trail, you have the division line and the sideline closest to you. (Technically speaking, you have the endline at the other end of the court, but by the time you get down there, for all intents and purposes, you are new lead.)
Really? So if B1 deflects a pass into the backcourt and A1 retrieves it near the endline, the trail now becomes the new lead?

Or A1 gets trapped in the backcourt in corner by the division line and sideline and then throws a pass all the back to the endline to A2.

Appears to me that in both of those situations that the Trail needs to be paying attention to 3 lines.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 15, 2010 at 09:30am.