View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Thanks for all the pointers guys. It's these little tweaks that really make the difference between a good official and an excellent one. I think I am good, but I want to be excellent.

Appreciate the feedback.

Take-away: In the future, maybe don't even signal at all until I confer, that was I don't have to reverse anything, should I decide my initial view was

A) Wrong, give the ball to white, or
B) Still not sure, go to the arrow.

I agree that 2-person mechanics, each official always has 2 boundary lines. But if you guys do it differently for backcourt, so be it.

From your OP, if you knew beyond doubt the direction you would have signaled it immediately, I'm assuming. Since you hesitated and looked to your partner for help, you have limited yourself to 2 options. 1) He signals the direction and you move on, or 2) he signals to you that he's not sure, and at that point you would signal jump ball and go AP.

Once you look to your partner for help, I think it's in your best interest to NOT make the call because of the hesitation. Going AP is not the end of the world. Just tell the one coach that's still upset that it was one of those bang-bang plays that neither of you saw, and that you're not going to guess. The conversation should end there!