The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Coaches standing in box

C-Squad game tonight, visiting team through the 2nd half of the game had 2 coaches standing up throughout.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:11am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
C-Squad game tonight, visiting team through the 2nd half of the game had 2 coaches standing up throughout.
Whatcha' want us to do about it? lol

Or was there a question?
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Whatcha' want us to do about it? lol

Or was there a question?
Well the question is as I was wanting someone to ask 1st, is only one coach is allowed to stand except during timeouts correct?

I did notify U1 about it when he came over to report a foul, but the coaches seemed to always be sitting when the officials were looking their way. Considering it was interfering were table operations.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did notify U1 about it when he came over to report a foul, but the coaches seemed to always be sitting when the officials were looking their way. Considering it was interfering were table operations.
I had to quote this post just to preserve it.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:22am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I did notify U1 about it ................

Haven't you already been warned about this?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:24am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Well the question is as I was wanting someone to ask 1st, is only one coach is allowed to stand except during timeouts correct?

10-4
The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not:

10-4-4
Stand in the team bench area while the clock is running or is stopped, and must remain seated, except:
a. The head coach as in 10-5-1
b. When a team member is reporting to the scorer's table
c. During a charged time-out, as in 5-12-5, or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
d. To spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player(s), but must immediately return to his/her seat.

Also, I would avoid telling the R, U1, or U2 what to do or what they aren't doing unless you want to find a different seat.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
10-4
The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not:

10-4-4
Stand in the team bench area while the clock is running or is stopped, and must remain seated, except:
a. The head coach as in 10-5-1
b. When a team member is reporting to the scorer's table
c. During a charged time-out, as in 5-12-5, or the intermission between quarters and extra periods.
d. To spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to acknowledge a replaced player(s), but must immediately return to his/her seat.

Also, I would avoid telling the R, U1, or U2 what to do or what they aren't doing unless you want to find a different seat.
I did not report it right away, I mentioned to U1 that I had noticed both coaches standing at the same time, when he was close enough to summon over, after he reported a foul. I didn't request a T or anything.

Both coaches were standing while the ball was live, & they were standing in such a way that it did interfere with table operations.

Neither coach got T'd cause of my actions, but they were more closely watched.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Haven't you already been warned about this?
I did give the benefit of the doubt, & did let it slide for a little bit. However when both coaches were standing side-by-side on a continual basis & obstructing the table's view of the court, after this happening for half of a quarter, is when I mentioned. All I stated was that both coaches were standing at the same time while the ball was live, nothing more.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:47am
We don't rent pigs

Interfered with table operations...............how?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Interfered with table operations...............how?
He believes that he can't see because more than one person is standing and blocking his view.

Not sure what he needs to see. The Trail now chops on end line throw-ins for this very reason. Everything else that the table crew does is on sound.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
He believes that he can't see because more than one person is standing and blocking his view.

Not sure what he needs to see. The Trail now chops on end line throw-ins for this very reason. Everything else that the table crew does is on sound.
They were also blocking the view of the shot clock operator, in case of reset due to change of team control, in that part of the court.

As we have the 35-sec. shot clock for boys' games now.

The coaches tried doing the same thing during Boys' V, but the officials gave them a warning (I didn't say anything) & they ceased doing it.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They were also blocking the view of the shot clock operator, in case of reset due to change of team control, in that part of the court.

As we have the 35-sec. shot clock for boys' games now.
It is a legitimate point that the shot clock operator needs to see the action in order to properly reset and start the device.

However, I'm having a hard time visualizing the table set up and the angle of view which would cause anyone standing in the team bench area to block the view of the table crew from more than a few feet of the playing court.

Consider what happens in the final few moments of close games when the entire bench jumps up to cheer about a play. I don't see this as anything more challenging to the shot clock operator, but I do note the difference in that the situation with an assistant coach isn't a legal action. So the point is that interference which shouldn't be occurring because the person isn't allowed to be in the way should be stopped.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is a legitimate point that the shot clock operator needs to see the action in order to properly reset and start the device.

However, I'm having a hard time visualizing the table set up and the angle of view which would cause anyone standing in the team bench area to block the view of the table crew from more than a few feet of the playing court.

Consider what happens in the final few moments of close games when the entire bench jumps up to cheer about a play. I don't see this as anything more challenging to the shot clock operator, but I do note the difference in that the situation with an assistant coach isn't a legal action. So the point is that interference which shouldn't be occurring because the person isn't allowed to be in the way should be stopped.
The set-up in the secondary gym has the scorers' table right in the middle of the bleachers, with the personnel sitting 3 rows up, instead of separately from the bleachers. Both benches are right next to the scorers' table on the court. The coaches' box is located right next to the scorers' table as well. The shot clock controls are next to the visitors' bench (however that might get changed around if the AD agrees to it).

The 2 coaches were both approx. 6 ft. tall. The sideline in the secondary gym is only 3 ft. from the bleaches to the court boundary.
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, I was trained to do both shot clock operations & scoreboard/timer operations by sight & not sound.

Considering even during C-Squad & JV games, the atmosphere can be like a heated rivalry V game (lots of crowd noise, hard to hear the whistle).
Old Sun Jan 10, 2010, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did give the benefit of the doubt, & did let it slide for a little bit. However when both coaches were standing side-by-side on a continual basis & obstructing the table's view of the court, after this happening for half of a quarter, is when I mentioned. All I stated was that both coaches were standing at the same time while the ball was live, nothing more.
That was big of you.