The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules.
JV high school tri matches.
The coach is standing up between every point ( during dead ball ) and talking to her players - sometimes on the floor and sometimes on the bench. I advised her that she needed to remain seated and that she was only allowed up during time-outs and substitutions. She said " the new rule allows us to stand between points ". I said that was not the case and she repeated that she knew this was the new rule for this year.
I thought the new POE was to be sure that coaches remained in their seats officially by rule now.
Did I miss something or is she wrong?
I checked my book after the match and found NOTHING to support her statements.
Please provide an NFHS reference if she is correct.

Or should I have given her the Yellow Card?

Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Tony,

Not knowing what state you're in, a few states are experimenting with allowing coaches to stand. Not sure if yours would be one of them, though.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

what state?

Sorry.
We are in Ohio.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
I believe Ohio is one of the states experimenting with coaches standing. You may want to contact your local rules interpreter for further guidance.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thank You.
I will do that immediately.
Again - I want to do the right thing.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 11:01pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
tony, Ohio IS one of the states experimenting with the bench decorum rule. See the discussion thread on the NFHS discussion board - it has a lot of information concerning what the officials have been told by the State relative to the experimental rule.

Definitely talk with your local rules interpreter because the coach was correct. She is allowed 1 step toward the court to coach her players in a non-disruptive manner during any (and every) dead ball.

Since I started officiating when I lived in Ohio, I am wondering if you attended a state rules interpretation meeting per your officiating requirements to be a licensed official with the OHSAA. You should have heard either Steve Trout (Northwest), Diane Plas (Northeast), Keith Fisher (Southwest and Southeast) or Dr. Moore (Central) - the four rules interpreters for the State of Ohio - talk about the new rules and the bench decorum experiment that Ohio is using this year.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,
Does your state give you the NFHS Preseason guides at your rules meetings? There's an article in that. If they don't you can buy them through Referee magazine for about 3 bucks.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I did attend the State meeting in July in Columbus, Ohio.
The Seat belt rule was never discussed.
I did connect with my local interpreter ( Diane Plas ) and they apparently covered it at our local State meeting ( which I missed because I was out of town with work and wasn't worried because I figured they would cover the same things at this one as they did in Columbus - they did not! ).
However, I have since found all the information I needed and will aplly it from now on.
The coach I was involved with, however, was wrong. She was wandering up and down the bench and was approaching the court - well outside the one step in any direction decorum. I will enforce that from now on.
Thanks to all for the help.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

It's a fact of life. All rules interpretation meetings are not equal!
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 11:36am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
tony, that'll do it every time! Did Dr. Moore lead the meeting you attended in Columbus? You want to attend a state meeting as late in the schedule as possible because by then, all the questions and glitches have come up and most of them have been fixed.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Dr. Moore ? nope

Diane Plas led the discussion in Columbus as part of an Officials conference held for all sports.
There were only 10 people in the room and we were very informal.
We talked about uniforms and new signals, but nothing about seat belt rule.
I did however, get all I needed on it from several people. It was in a manual provided to all officials in Ohio which I skimmed through and found out later I missed it.
MY FAULT!
I will not skim again.
Anyway, I now have all I need.
Thanks for all the help.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 03:57pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

No problem! I know Diane and she does an excellent job as an official, an interpreter and an assigner.

I got that same packet since I still register with OHSAA as a "retired" official (even though I live in California and have never stopped officiating volleyball in the twelve years since I moved from Ohio). I register as a "retired" official so that I can get the Rules Book & Case Book and Manual (I get it sooner from Ohio than I do from my local associations out here on the left coast!).

Valuable lesson learned - read the material you receive, don't just skim it! Sometimes they do stick some valuable information in there...you just have to find it! LOL!!!
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Diane is good

I didn't mean to imply that Diane was anything but the best - if you inferred that from my post.
I don't think she was lacking in presentation at the Columbus meetings.
I think we let it get informal, and I am not sure she even had the seat belt rule interpretation yet. As far as my history with Diane, in the past three years she has always been right on with everything. She is the one who directed me to the proper paperwork and information. She also helped with the interpretation that Dr. Moore came out with.
She has my deepest respect.
Thanks again to all.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 01:50am
Resident VB Rules Guru

tony, nope! I knew what you were saying and I couldn't agree more with you.

I think what happened is that the Columbus meeting was taking place at the same time that the State Interpreters were meeting in Indianapolis and that is when NFHS asked Ohio to experiment with the seat belt/decorum rule. So there was no way that you would have had the information that Ohio was going to be doing the experiment.

Great questions, great attitutde - I wish that I had the opportunity to ref with you someday, but I don't think that Ohio has reciprocity with California!!! LOL
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

YC'd a varsity coach for this last night....

During a substitution in game 5 of the match, she stepped into the substitution zone with her players and began giving verbal instructions to the players remaining on the court. I'd previously cautioned her twice about standing and approaching the court, and in this instance her actions directly interfered with the efficient administration of the substitution, so I requested the R to issue the YC.

Other than that it was a great match. I was the U, and in the course of the match caught illegal alignment of the receiving team 4 times, the serving team once, and one incorrect server.