The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Strange Sitch.

Had a game the other day . Post Play. Offence and defence with back to the basket. Offence keeps stepping on defenders feet as he is trying to get position. Defender keeps yelling at me that offence is stepping on his foot.

Best response I could come up with.

"Move your foot!!"

Would anyone call a "Hold". Would it have to be often/ intentional etc.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally posted by RefSouthAlb
Strange Sitch.

Had a game the other day . Post Play. Offence and defence with back to the basket. Offence keeps stepping on defenders feet as he is trying to get position. Defender keeps yelling at me that offence is stepping on his foot.

"Move your foot!!"

Inless you know for SURE he was doing it on purpose, I wouldent call an intentional. Maybe nail him for a hold and he wont do it anymore.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Strange Sitch.

"Move your foot!!"

I think the intentional is warranted. If he's doing it multiple times, then his intent is to get the defensive player to move. The defensive player is entitled to his position on the floor and these dirty tactics should be punished.

I wouldn't call it a hold, I'd call it a push.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Strange Sitch.

"Move your foot!!"

First, this is a play that has to be seen before any of us can really make a call.

Second, I would have to say that if A1 is trying to step on B1's feet and try to catch a ball or do anything else, I would think it would be very difficult.

Third, I think the best think to do is to ask A1's girlfriend if he has two left feet when he dances.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Third, I think the best think to do is to ask A1's girlfriend if she has two left feet when she dances.

MTD, Sr.
Would love to hear the answer in a girl's game.

But if you think it's being done on purpose, I've got a hold or an INT, but after you verbalize a warning.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:59pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Third, I think the best think to do is to ask A1's girlfriend if she has two left feet when she dances.

MTD, Sr.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

MTD, Sr.

But if you think it's being done on purpose, I've got a hold or an INT, but after you verbalize a warning.
It is probably asked in Wisconsin. First state I've been in where the girls danced with girls (Sparta, Tomah, Ft. McCoy, etc.)
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Because the offender is pushing with his foot on the defender's foot? Seriously, I don't see why a push would be a better call than a hold, which seems to be the right one to me, though it doesn't make such a difference. Could you explain?
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 11:40am
MABO Member

Seems to me this more of an interference call. Sry wrong sport. Maybe we need something like that called in Hoops.

I have seen and used this tactic many times playing the post, it is intentional, and works great to gain position. I will verbally warn the offender then call a personal foul to get them to stop. Usually the warning is enough to get tehm to stop because now they know I am watching.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

depending on severity and if you deemed the intentions to injure, could be unsportsmanlike. any thoughts here??
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 12:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Seems to me this more of an interference call. Sry wrong sport. Maybe we need something like that called in Hoops.
How about yellow and red cards?

There's a few guys in men's leagues I'd love to stand in front of and hold up a red card.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Not only we actually have interference, we got 2 types! (i.e.: holding and blocking) At least, these are the only ones I think of.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QuebecRef87
Quote:
Because the offender is pushing with his foot on the defender's foot? Seriously, I don't see why a push would be a better call than a hold, which seems to be the right one to me, though it doesn't make such a difference. Could you explain?
The proper call is "Illegal use of feet." Signal is performed much like illegal use of hands, only using both legs raised. The existence of this little known and infrequently used signal is the reason that female officials are not allowed to wear skirts.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QuebecRef87
Quote:
I just don't think it qualifies as holding. Holding to me means grasping or encircling an opponent. No one is grasping or encircling. So I don't have a hold.

Now somehting I've picked up from the guys who do university ball up here is when contact, usually this happens on a block, is made with the leg, they'll raise their leg a bit and slap their thigh. I think this would be the most appropriate mechanic to use here, although technically it isn't an official mechanic.