The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Call? or no call?

Both teams are in double bonus. Team A has just scored to take a 1 point lead with 7 seconds left on the clock. B1 grabs ball out of the net and steps out of bounds to throw in, and is immediately being guarded at the end line by A1. B2 runs up to the baseline and sets a legal screen along the endline. B1 runs the baseline toward B2's screen, and A1 runs straight into B2's screen knocking B2 over, and it's clearly not a "flop." A1 had 3 steps before impact. Is this an defensive foul?

Just to be clear, this is hypothetical, I've not seen it done, but we have practiced it a couple times in case we ever have an opportunity to try it.

>>edited to change my question to is this a defensive foul?<<

Last edited by bbcoach7; Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 06:26pm.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
Both teams are in double bonus. Team A has just scored to take a 1 point lead with 7 seconds left on the clock. outB1 grabs ball of the net and steps out of bounds to throw in, and is immediately being guarded at the end line by A1. B2 runs up to the baseline and sets a legal screen along the endline. B1 runs the baseline toward B2's screen, and A1 runs straight into B2's screen knocking B2 over, and it's clearly not a "flop." A1 had 3 steps before impact. Is this an offensive foul?

Just to be clear, this is hypothetical, I've not seen it done, but we have practiced it a couple times in case we ever have an opportunity to try it.

Why would it be an offensive foul? Runs up to baseline and sets screen on along endline???? How does B1 grab ball out of net? A is on offense............
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Both teams are in double bonus. Team A has just scored to take a 1 point lead with 7 seconds left on the clock. B1 grabs ball out of the net and steps out of bounds to throw in, and is immediately being guarded at the end line by A1. B2 runs up to the baseline and sets a legal screen along the endline. B1 runs the baseline toward B2's screen, and A1 runs straight into B2's screen knocking B2 over, and it's clearly not a "flop." A1 had 3 steps before impact. Is this an offensive foul?

There is no team control during throw-ins, so it cannot be an offensive foul.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

You're asking whether this would be a team control foul. Why would it be? Does A have team control?
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is an offensive foul?

Is this coming from the same person that said we have to give an explanation for a Technical Foul?

Peace
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

I meant to ask is this a defensive foul? Is there a call that can be made on the defensive player who ran over the screener?
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I meant to ask is this a defensive foul? Is there a call that can be made on the defensive player who ran over the screener?
It's a foul on A-1.....no team control on throw-in, and besides, A doesn't have team control anyway...they lost it on the try which ended in a made basket...B shoots the FTs.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is this coming from the same person that said we have to give an explanation for a Technical Foul? peace
I didn't say that. I said that if I don't know why a T was called -like for example on one of my players- then it would be in everyone's best interest to inform me why the T was called so I can take corrective action to make sure it doesn't happen again. I realize the official has no obligation to inform me. He or she can choose to be an @ss if they want, the rules support that.

Clearly, if it was me who was whacked, I am going to know why I was whacked and there's nothing left for me to do but sit down and shut up. Perhaps I thoroughly clear before, I thought that it really didn't need to be said as it's obvious. This is probably a very left brained web site, so I will try to be more specific and spell everything out clearly to avoid future confusion.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

thanks, sorry bout the confusing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
It's a foul on A-1.....no team control on throw-in, and besides, A doesn't have team control anyway...they lost it on the try which ended in a made basket...B shoots the FTs.
I just wanted to clarify. We practice this, but I didn't know if it would work, or if it's legal. In this example, my team would be Team B. So yes, if executed properly and the correct call was made, my team would be shooting free throws according to your response.

Incidentally, while I've never seen it ran, the coach who taught this tactic to me has tried it once. The referee blew his whistle on the contact. He then declared an inadverdant whistle, reset the clock, and set it up again.

Now in this instance... the inbounds passer cannot run the end line now, correct?
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach, if the screen is outside the visual vield of the defender, than your player needs to be prepared to take some serious contact. If the defender attempts to stop upon contact, there's no foul, even if the contact is severe.

Your play is perfectly legal, but I'm giving a lot of leeway to the defender on this play to let him try to stop. If I'm not sure, then he tried to stop.

Also, I'll need to double check the rule, but my memory tells me if the ensuing throwin (assuming no bonus) is on the same endline, it will be an endline throwin.

Confirmed: Rule 7-5-7b

Last edited by Adam; Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 07:00pm.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I just wanted to clarify. We practice this, but I didn't know if it would work, or if it's legal. In this example, my team would be Team B. So yes, if executed properly and the correct call was made, my team would be shooting free throws according to your response.

Incidentally, while I've never seen it ran, the coach who taught this tactic to me has tried it once. The referee blew his whistle on the contact. He then declared an inadverdant whistle, reset the clock, and set it up again.

Now in this instance... the inbounds passer cannot run the end line now, correct?
No, not correct. The throw-in did not end. The right to run the end line is still there.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't say that. I said that if I don't know why a T was called -like for example on one of my players- then it would be in everyone's best interest to inform me why the T was called so I can take corrective action to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Let's keep that discussion on that thread, please.

Quote:

Yes, it could work. Yes, it's legal. Yes, it would be a foul on the team that just scored (or else a no call). It's not that uncommon (at least once the situation -- team inbounding, running the end-line, with a few seconds left and behind by a point or two)

If there was an inadvertant whistle, the team would still be able to run the end-line.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Let's keep that discussion on that thread, please.
No problem, I'm going to go sit down now, but just for the record I did get the last word in on the off topic

Quote:
If there was an inadvertant whistle, the team would still be able to run the end-line.
Ok, thanks

Last edited by bbcoach7; Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 07:19pm.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No, not correct. The throw-in did not end. The right to run the end line is still there.
How about if a time out was called before the throw in was attempted or any contact? Can the inbounds passer still run the end line after the time out and plpay is resumed?

This isn't a fishing trip, as you guys know, us coaches often don't have good knowledge of the rules. I am just trying to learn
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about if a time out was called before the throw in was attempted or any contact? Can the inbounds passer still run the end line after the time out and plpay is resumed?

This isn't a fishing trip, as you guys know, us coaches often don't have good knowledge of the rules. I am just trying to learn
Yes, he/she can still run the baseline.