The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 08:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Many years ago I was part of a 4-man crew at a game in Fremont, OH. We'd send 4 guys out and I was one of the 2 JV guys. That was how we broke in new guys. We were watching the varsity game when the visiting coach went to the table and grabbed the scorer by his tie and pulled him across the table and chewed him out. It was one of the wildest things I've ever seen at a game. Apparently the scorer was bad-mouthing the visiting players as they reported to check in. The varsity guys T'd up the coach and the game went on. Obviously, things were a little tense after that incident.

When I was coaching, I had an incident where the home scorer (we were the visitors) did some talking to our players when they checked in. When I became aware of it, I told the scorer to knock it off. That ended it.

I think those who work at the table need to be reminded that they are officials and need to remain neutral.
I was keeping the book at an AAU tournament and the visitors scorer was all about cheering and booing. A foul was reported and I duly noted it, she thought the kid fouled out and the official came over to sort it out. I think my neutral stance went a long way toward the official going with my book. [I did not say anything to her although I sure wanted to. If you are going to keep the book, shut up about how Johnny is doing or who might be fouling him.]
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Sounds like an assault to me. I agree it would be wrong for table personnel to make comments to the players, but even if they did it doesn't justify a physical assault. The coach is lucky he didn't leave the gym in handcuffs.

Here it would be considered gross unsportsmanlike conduct - flagrant T/immediate ejection of the visiting coach, report to the state and very likely the end of his HS coaching career.
This was over 30 years ago and I think things were a little bit more lax back then. Today, the coach would be gone, for possibly a career and the scorer would press charges.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... like real bullets instead of blanks?
In the NBA they use REAL pistols...in the lockerroom. Reason # 343 to not watch the NBA.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I thought chseagle worked in Connell, Washington; not Fremont, Ohio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
And I think he's worked games at the Sam Houston Institute of Technology.
I've only done anything table crew & crowd control wise in Washington State for High School Basketball.

That school must get dumped on alot with jokes.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Reason # 343 to not watch the NBA.
I think I stopped counting at 2.