The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Talking

Just finished watching UMass/GW. Great game. The table personnel were fantastic!! I tried to watch for you Mark, but they didn't give any close-ups. Sorry my Umies got the better of you guys. (No, I'm not really sorry ).

It was a great game tho, and the table did seem to do a terrific job. What was your take on the reset/no reset question near the end? They showed the replay and if I had to guess, I'd say it hit the rim, but I couldn't guarantee it.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

I actually wasn't working the book for today's game seeing I flew back on an 11:30 flight (the game started at noon, and the only other option was 6:30am - not happening with my family!). The folks on the clock & shot clock are the ones with whom I usually work, though, so I'll take a little bit of the credit. :-p (We usually get pretty high marks from the game officials who say anything to us.)

I was up in the corner of the gym when I did get there (didn't think it would be filled - today is the first day for students to come back and classes don't start until Tuesday), and I was definately blocked out on whether the shot touched the rim. Luckily, we got the reset (then, unluckily, fouled the shooter on UMass's next posession).

I was actually wondering about two things. First, the change from a 3 to a 2 (by GW) - my eyesight is getting pretty bad from far away, and I was far away, but even I could tell it was clearly a 2. Were the TV replays just inconclusive (I swear it was at least 2 minutes to review).

Also, what did you think about the no-call on the UMass backcourt violation on their last posession?
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
the change from a 3 to a 2 (by GW) - my eyesight is getting pretty bad from far away, and I was far away, but even I could tell it was clearly a 2. Were the TV replays just inconclusive (I swear it was at least 2 minutes to review).

I was getting dressed and packed for my own game yesterday, so I just happened to miss that. I saw Lappas asking for the review, but I had to leave the room and didn't see what the outcome was.

A fellow official (D1) talked to me about it after my game yesterday. His concern was that the review came after the correctable error statute of limitations had expired. Since this was a case of erroneously counting or cancelling a score, shouldn't it fall under the 2-10 constraints; even tho it's a case of going to the monitor?

Thoughts on that?

Quote:
Also, what did you think about the no-call on the UMass backcourt violation on their last posession?
You mean the very last possession of OT? I don't remember even thinking that there might be a backcourt violation on that play. And I just saw it again this morning on ESPN (Top Play #9 ) and again didn't think anything looked bad. So I guess I would say the no-call seemed good to me.

BTW, my game yesterday was fantastic. Christ the King (NYC, #11 in the country) vs. Central Catholic (Lawrence, MA). 3 point game at the half. Christ the King opened it up to 13 in the second half, then had to hold on to win by 1. Whole lot of fun. 2-whistle! I was looking for the oxygen after the game!
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

A fellow official (D1) talked to me about it after my game yesterday. His concern was that the review came after the correctable error statute of limitations had expired. Since this was a case of erroneously counting or cancelling a score, shouldn't it fall under the 2-10 constraints; even tho it's a case of going to the monitor?

Thoughts on that?

I dunno - maybe my memory is going, but I thought that GW hit the shot in question, UMass inbounded (first live ball), the shot went in, and then the officials whistled the play dead to look at the monitor (i.e. - no second live ball). A friend of mine, however, who was also at the game, says that it was a few posessions later and that 1:12 had elapsed off of the game clock between the basket and when it was reviewed (basically at least two full shot-clock periods).

That said, even if it were after the second live ball (and clearly so - i.e., an inbounds pass by GW), I don't know if 2-10.1e applies here, as it relates to erroneously counting or cancelling a score. Erroneous seems to be a bit ambiguous here, as one of the approved rulings (A.R. 6) seems to indicate that changing a 2 to a 3 (or vice-versa) falls under the "erroneous counting" of a score.

Quote:
Before an official goes to a courtside monitor to confirm the status of the play, the coach from Team A requests a correctable error on the grounds that the goal was counted erroneously and three points should have been awarded.
Quote:

Quote:
You mean the very last possession of OT? I don't remember even thinking that there might be a backcourt violation on that play. And I just saw it again this morning on ESPN (Top Play #9 ) and again didn't think anything looked bad. So I guess I would say the no-call seemed good to me.

We were far away from the court, and I was blocked from perfect view, but I thought that it looked pretty close. My boss, standing next to and taller than me, said that it was definately a backcourt violation. (And we were from the backcourt side, so anything close should look more like it wasn't a violation.)

Quote:

BTW, my game yesterday was fantastic. Christ the King (NYC, #11 in the country) vs. Central Catholic (Lawrence, MA). 3 point game at the half. Christ the King opened it up to 13 in the second half, then had to hold on to win by 1. Whole lot of fun. 2-whistle! I was looking for the oxygen after the game!
I'm familliar with Christ the King, but not the men's side - over the past few years, GW Women's team has had about 8 recruits come from Christ the King - it's almost turning into a GW feeder.