Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
High School

I did the pedometer thing last year for a couple games and got between 4 and 5 miles. 18 minute halves. Not much difference between boys and girls games

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Freddy,
I have modified your numbers a little bit. Typically, teams get about 2 possessions per minute of play meaning that there will be closer to 128 possessions in total. Plus, let's assume a 94 foot court (most of the HS gyms I work in are this length). If we assume that the trail works to the 28' line and that the lead works 4 feet beyond the baseline (oops, endline -- special for you Cobra), each trip is more like 70 feet -- 56 feet going C to C (94 feet - 38 feet). Further, assume the average referee (oops, I mean official -- ditto) makes one rotation every other possession (resulting in an additional 25 feet of movement). Then you have additional distance for each foul reported (let's say 10 fouls per referee) which means an additional 30 feet for each of the 30 total fouls called. Finally, you have about 8 time outs granted during the game in addition to the extra distance covered between quarters (about 50 feet per each time).

My math shows:
70 feet * 85 possessions (2/3 going L to T or vice versa) or 5950 feet +
56 feet * 43 possessions (1/3 going C to C) or 2408 feet +
9 feet * 85 possessions (2/3 going T to C or vice versa) + 765 feet +
20 feet * 43 possession (1/3 crossing lane as the lead) + 860 feet +
30 feet * 32 fouls or 960 feet +
50 feet * 12 timeouts/intermissions or 600 feet
for a total of about 2.19 miles or 11,543 feet

Obviously, 2-man requires more running each possession. Assuming HS JV, using the same floor and a 28 minute game, the numbers would be slightly different:
73 feet * 112 possessions or 8176 feet +
15 feet (more movement required to cover entire trail area) * 112 possessions or 1680 feet +
40 feet * 28 fouls or 1120 feet +
for a total of about 1.91 miles or 10074 feet.

These numbers seem to be closer to the 1.75 miles to 2.00 miles mentioned earlier. By contrast, a College Soccer Assistant Referee typically runs 3.2 to 3.6 miles in a 90 minute game. High level club soccer games result in similar numbers for both ARs and center referees.
Nice calculation work. Those numbers seem quite reasonable to me, maybe even a little low for soccer. I typically average 5-7 miles for a HS varsity soccer game in my area, and on the 2OT State Final it was over 10.

There is no doubt that soccer refs run far more than basketball. People claiming that basketball officials do five miles a game is laughable to me.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Nice calculation work. Those numbers seem quite reasonable to me, maybe even a little low for soccer. I typically average 5-7 miles for a HS varsity soccer game in my area, and on the 2OT State Final it was over 10.

There is no doubt that soccer refs run far more than basketball. People claiming that basketball officials do five miles a game is laughable to me.
Nevada,
To put things into perspective, if a one of us basketball officials were running CONSTANTLY during the 32 minutes, covering five miles would require a slightly more than 6 minute mile pace.....

I don't know many basketball officials capable of ONE 6 minute mile, much less five in a row. Of course, there is some ground that gets covered while the clock is not moving -- reporting fouls, getting teams out of time outs, getting ready for inbounds plays, etc. But five miles is probably a bit of a stretch.

For soccer, the center referee is in almost constant motion for 80 (NFHS) or 90 (USYSA U-17/U-18). ARs can be sprinting up and down the line all match long -- especially if a team is running an offside trap.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

I agree.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 06:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Absolutely!

Quote:
I don't know many basketball officials capable of ONE 6 minute mile, much less five in a row.
Not on my BEST day (even when I was 20)!
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevada,
To put things into perspective, if a one of us basketball officials were running CONSTANTLY during the 32 minutes, covering five miles would require a slightly more than 6 minute mile pace.....

I don't know many basketball officials capable of ONE 6 minute mile, much less five in a row. Of course, there is some ground that gets covered while the clock is not moving -- reporting fouls, getting teams out of time outs, getting ready for inbounds plays, etc. But five miles is probably a bit of a stretch.
I'm not sure I could drive 5 mile at a 6 minute/mile pace, let alone run it
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevada,
How long does an average basketball game take? We also have to take into consideration the movement while clock is not running. I don't think basketball officials go 5 miles in a game but would not have a problem with 3.5 to 4 miles a game. Several guys in our association did the pedometer thing and 3 did the math angle. The final average came to 3.767 miles per game. We had a great time with this at over fermented malt beverages following the meeting.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest discussion came wondering how both volleyball officials got paid the same when one guy has to "run" back and forth all night (from one side of net to the other) and the other guy has to climb up 3 rungs of a ladder and down 3 rungs when finished. Just didn't seem fair!!
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
This year I started training to run a marathon next summer. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 that I use for running, with a foot pod so I can use it for running indoor on my treadmill. I have taken it out on the court with me a couple times, and I get between .85 and 1 mile per half, whether working 3 man mechanics or 2 man. The two man games I worked were Junior High Games. So, I'm getting about 1.75-2 miles per game.

I put the foot pod on my shoe, and just slip the watch piece that records all the data in my pocket.
W&S-

I love my forerunner for marathon training. The problem with the forerunner is that it's calculated to straight-line running and does not properly register turns. Otherwise, it's a great product but maybe lacking precision for this application.

Any particular marathon you are training for? I'll be in Nashville in April, it's my favorite destination. This will be my third year in Nashville

-Josh
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
How long does an average basketball game take? We also have to take into consideration the movement while clock is not running. I don't think basketball officials go 5 miles in a game but would not have a problem with 3.5 to 4 miles a game. Several guys in our association did the pedometer thing and 3 did the math angle. The final average came to 3.767 miles per game. We had a great time with this at over fermented malt beverages following the meeting.
Chartruse,
Actually, my original numbers are listed below. I was merely doing a sanity check on a 5 mile number in a 32 minute game. Yes, you may do some running from time to time to reposition while the clock is stopped, but I still don't think 5 miles is close to being reasonable.

Typically, teams get about 2 possessions per minute of play meaning that there will be closer to 128 possessions in total. Plus, let's assume a 94 foot court (most of the HS gyms I work in are this length). If we assume that the trail works to the 28' line and that the lead works 4 feet beyond the baseline (oops, endline -- special for you Cobra), each trip is more like 70 feet -- 56 feet going C to C (94 feet - 38 feet). Further, assume the average referee (oops, I mean official -- ditto) makes one rotation every other possession (resulting in an additional 25 feet of movement). Then you have additional distance for each foul reported (let's say 10 fouls per referee) which means an additional 30 feet for each of the 30 total fouls called. Finally, you have about 8 time outs granted during the game in addition to the extra distance covered between quarters (about 50 feet per each time).

My math shows:
70 feet * 85 possessions (2/3 going L to T or vice versa) or 5950 feet +
56 feet * 43 possessions (1/3 going C to C) or 2408 feet +
9 feet * 85 possessions (2/3 going T to C or vice versa) + 765 feet +
20 feet * 43 possession (1/3 crossing lane as the lead) + 860 feet +
30 feet * 32 fouls or 960 feet +
for a total of about 2.19 miles or 11,543 feet

Obviously, 2-man requires more running each possession. Assuming HS JV, using the same floor and a 28 minute game, the numbers would be slightly different:
73 feet * 112 possessions or 8176 feet +
15 feet (more movement required to cover entire trail area) * 112 possessions or 1680 feet +
40 feet * 28 fouls or 1120 feet +
for a total of about 1.91 miles or 10074 feet.

These numbers seem to be closer to the 1.75 miles to 2.00 miles mentioned earlier. By contrast, a College Soccer Assistant Referee typically runs 3.2 to 3.6 miles in a 90 minute game. High level club soccer games result in similar numbers for both ARs and center referees.

Even if you add 40 feet per possession for "angle improvement" by each official (a REALLY big stretch for most officials), you are still only adding about 4500 feet or about .85 miles. It would be a truly rare game, indeed, in which a referee were covering more than 3 to 3.5 miles in a regulation 32 minute HS basketball game, in my opinion.

In a game with 10 second possessions -- a real up-and-down affair, you would have close to 200 possessions. Of course, you would not be rotating as much since the ball would be going up pretty fast. Even if all other metrics remained the same, you would end up near the 3.3 mile mark -- about 4 miles with the extra "angle improvement".

I know many trails who do not get close to the 28 foot mark -- likely closer to the 40 foot mark. This alone, would knock off about 1450 feet or over .25 miles. If the number of possessions remained the same and the court was only an 84 foot court, the distance would be cut by another 1100 plus feet. With a crew that likes to "settle in" each possesion on a 84 foot floor with teams slowing the game down a bit -- to 96 possessions as Freddy originally proposed, and the number is much closer to a 1.0 to 1.25 miles or so.

Bottom line: I would say that 2 miles is about average. Some games may be down in the 1.00 to 1.25 mile range with some pushing 3.50 to 4.00.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I have frequently wore a pedometer when working both Soccer and Basketball. I have had BB games with as little as 6/10 of a mile, the most has been 1.8.

I wish Basketball provided more exercise but it does not.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just for information, my associate calls a lot of upper-level HS soccer (center) and habitually wears one of the GPS enabled runners watches. He routinely records right around 5 miles per game regardless of the competitiveness of the game.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Lazy ref's! I have never had a Varsity game be less than 4.5 miles (for center ref). "high level club soccer games" are at least as much running, but often more than high school varsity! Many of my friends who work college hit a minimum of 6 miles as a center! A tough college game is around 8-9 miles! All of this factored with Garmin GPS units. (yes, we nerd out and compare)

1.5-2 miles for a basketball game seems to be about right.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
W&S-

I love my forerunner for marathon training. The problem with the forerunner is that it's calculated to straight-line running and does not properly register turns. Otherwise, it's a great product but maybe lacking precision for this application.

Any particular marathon you are training for? I'll be in Nashville in April, it's my favorite destination. This will be my third year in Nashville

-Josh
I will be running the Mayors Marathon in Anchorage Alaska on June 19th. This is my first marathon.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpref View Post
Lazy ref's! I have never had a Varsity game be less than 4.5 miles (for center ref). "high level club soccer games" are at least as much running, but often more than high school varsity! Many of my friends who work college hit a minimum of 6 miles as a center! A tough college game is around 8-9 miles! All of this factored with Garmin GPS units. (yes, we nerd out and compare)

1.5-2 miles for a basketball game seems to be about right.
Bottom line is that basketball officials do not have to run nearly as far as their soccer brethren. 1.7 to 2.0 miles is probably reasonable for a basketball official to run. It also helps to be able to sprint fairly quickly.

In soccer some assignors make assignments based on formulas that INCLUDE a fitness test of some kind -- sprints and distance running. I am not aware of any basketball association/assignor that uses any type of test. I know that they do factor in fitness, but from my perspective it seems that "big fellas" are negatively impacted more than skinny guys that happen to not run well. What do other associations do in the area of fitness when determining game assignments, if anything?
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

A guy I reffed with while we were both in college did a research project along these lines. I think 2-3 miles, depending on the game, was about the consensus. We worked exclusively 2 man back then, so I think 3 man would back to that to about 1.5-2 given the C's smaller length of travel (in general).

I think my friend tried as best he could to include trips to the table, time out positioning. Everything but the haul *** off the court after the buzzer (where I've seen even the slowest officials make their case for world class speed!)