The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

How far does an official run/walk during a typical game?

I assume this topic has been covered on here before, but I could not find evidence of the topic in a brief search of the forum....

Is there a study out there that reveals how far high school officials run/walk during a typical 32-minute game?

I'm sure there will be plenty of humorous responses, but I'd appreciate a legitimate response as well.

Happy New Year!!
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 04:10pm
This IS My Social Life

Pedometer Experiment

Two years ago I clipped one of those little pedometers discreetly to the inside of my waistband. If memory serves me correctly, each game resulted in about 5 miles. That seemed like a lot, I think because the meter registered steps and strides the same. So I think the result was too high.
Looking forward to other responses.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
If memory serves me correctly, each game resulted in about 5 miles.
iirc, thats about the same as some "study" published in refmag 7 or so years ago.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 05:45pm
This IS My Social Life

Quantum Currit

All games snowed out here tonight , which gave me time to calculate:
At 20 seconds per possession a 32 minute game yields 96 possessions.
Going C to C, Trail to Lead, Lead to Trail requires a minimum of 42' on a standard sized high school court.
96 possessions x 42' = 3232'.
Which is why my previously reported five miles seemed to be awful high. Or maybe I had to cross the court far too often because partners at C and T failed to pick up on rotations.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 06:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Me? Walk 1/2 mile. Run 0.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 06:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away ...

Quote:
All games snowed out here tonight , which gave me time to calculate: At 20 seconds per possession a 32 minute game yields 96 possessions. Going C to C, Trail to Lead, Lead to Trail requires a minimum of 42' on a standard sized high school court. 96 possessions x 42' = 3232'. Which is why my previously reported five miles seemed to be awful high. Or maybe I had to cross the court far too often because partners at C and T failed to pick up on rotations.
You should have just given me the numbers and I could have figured it out in a jiffy using my new slide rule. Now if I can only figure out where to purchase a pocket protector. I'll check out Staples' nerd department tomorrow.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 02, 2010 at 06:25pm.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 07:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

BillyMac - loved your movie.

Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Going C to C, Trail to Lead, Lead to Trail requires a minimum of 42' on a standard sized high school court.
Which is why my previously reported five miles seemed to be awful high. Or maybe I had to cross the court far too often because partners at C and T failed to pick up on rotations.
It can't be more than two or three miles. The court just isn't big enough for the number to come out higher than that.

Of course, there are many factors that impact this: is it an up and down game or a half-court affair, is there a shot clock, is it 2-man or 3-man, what kind of physical shape is the official in, etc.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 09:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You should have just given me the numbers and I could have figured it out in a jiffy using my new slide rule. Now if I can only figure out where to purchase a pocket protector. I'll check out Staples' nerd department tomorrow.
No need to go out.

NEW CLEAR PLASTIC SHIRT POCKET PROTECTOR BUY4 SHIP FREE - eBay (item 140350652750 end time Jan-04-10 08:07:16 PST)
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

This year I started training to run a marathon next summer. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 that I use for running, with a foot pod so I can use it for running indoor on my treadmill. I have taken it out on the court with me a couple times, and I get between .85 and 1 mile per half, whether working 3 man mechanics or 2 man. The two man games I worked were Junior High Games. So, I'm getting about 1.75-2 miles per game.

I put the foot pod on my shoe, and just slip the watch piece that records all the data in my pocket.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
This year I started training to run a marathon next summer. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 that I use for running, with a foot pod so I can use it for running indoor on my treadmill. I have taken it out on the court with me a couple times, and I get between .85 and 1 mile per half, whether working 3 man mechanics or 2 man. The two man games I worked were Junior High Games. So, I'm getting about 1.75-2 miles per game.

I put the foot pod on my shoe, and just slip the watch piece that records all the data in my pocket.
I'm sure thats illegal equipment in some western states !
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 12:03pm
Huck Finn

If they ever produce enough, I'm going to get a Fitbit that will answer this question. It would be good to have it before the season is over, but I want it for other uses. The last time I checked, they were filling orders from November...of 2008!
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Freddy,
I have modified your numbers a little bit. Typically, teams get about 2 possessions per minute of play meaning that there will be closer to 128 possessions in total. Plus, let's assume a 94 foot court (most of the HS gyms I work in are this length). If we assume that the trail works to the 28' line and that the lead works 4 feet beyond the baseline (oops, endline -- special for you Cobra), each trip is more like 70 feet -- 56 feet going C to C (94 feet - 38 feet). Further, assume the average referee (oops, I mean official -- ditto) makes one rotation every other possession (resulting in an additional 25 feet of movement). Then you have additional distance for each foul reported (let's say 10 fouls per referee) which means an additional 30 feet for each of the 30 total fouls called. Finally, you have about 8 time outs granted during the game in addition to the extra distance covered between quarters (about 50 feet per each time).

My math shows:
70 feet * 85 possessions (2/3 going L to T or vice versa) or 5950 feet +
56 feet * 43 possessions (1/3 going C to C) or 2408 feet +
9 feet * 85 possessions (2/3 going T to C or vice versa) + 765 feet +
20 feet * 43 possession (1/3 crossing lane as the lead) + 860 feet +
30 feet * 32 fouls or 960 feet +
50 feet * 12 timeouts/intermissions or 600 feet
for a total of about 2.19 miles or 11,543 feet

Obviously, 2-man requires more running each possession. Assuming HS JV, using the same floor and a 28 minute game, the numbers would be slightly different:
73 feet * 112 possessions or 8176 feet +
15 feet (more movement required to cover entire trail area) * 112 possessions or 1680 feet +
40 feet * 28 fouls or 1120 feet +
50 feet * 12 timeouts/intermissions or 600 feet
for a total of about 1.91 miles or 10074 feet.

These numbers seem to be closer to the 1.75 miles to 2.00 miles mentioned earlier. By contrast, a College Soccer Assistant Referee typically runs 3.2 to 3.6 miles in a 90 minute game. High level club soccer games result in similar numbers for both ARs and center referees.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 05:44pm.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 04:59pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Good Luck with That!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
This year I started training to run a marathon next summer.
I quit running the real long distances many years ago... just as I started getting really friggin old!

Not enough time to train and I hurt too much.......... Hope you do well!
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

High School

I did the pedometer thing last year for a couple games and got between 4 and 5 miles. 18 minute halves. Not much difference between boys and girls games