The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

2nd Official Game

Had my second official game last night. 9th grade boys A & B. The second game went into tripple OT. Different partner. He is experienced and very laid back. I had two things to work on from my previous game. 1) Communication with partner- It was great all night. I knew what he called & viceversa. Our mechanics worked well with each other. The games flowed very well. 2) Calling/Reporing- My calling mechanic and reporting was much better and we looked so much more professioanl, thus the fans werent too tough. Only two downers in my mind. 1) I had not called a 3-second vioaltion all game as the players always got out in time or a shot was attempted/rebounded; but in the final OT, visitor player would not come out of paint and had worked into a position under the basket waiting on a pass... I gave him six seconds and called a violation. Didnt go over well since it had not been called all game. 2) visitor throwin in final 2.5 seconds of game. Clock attendent started the clock on the throwin rather than my chop, thus the clock went off just after the player caught the ball. We met, reset, and let the visitor have one last chance. They needed to hit a three to tie. Game Over. Much better games.
Any thoughts on the 3-second issue? should I have let it go? It was a one point game at that point, although i didnt know it at the time.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

If a player is camped in the lane and gaining an advantage by it, you have to call it, regardless of the score/time remaining.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:58am
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
1) I had not called a 3-second vioaltion all game as the players always got out in time or a shot was attempted/rebounded;
I think that answers your question right there. If there wasn't a violation, you wouldn't call it. I don't see a problem with it later on, especially if you gave him that much leeway. In a close game like that, there may be an obvious advantage gained by this player by camping out in the paint.

It seems the three-second call is one that a lot of officials try not to make. I myself prefer to quietly remind them to keep moving. But if they don't listen to me, they'll certainly hear the whistle.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

There's a difference between "letting it go all night and then calling it in the last minute" and "not having a violation until the last minute and calling it".
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Although I would be nice to be able to say that if I haven't called it in the first quarter, I won't call it in the last...it's more accurate to say that if I wouldn't call it in the first quarter, I won't call it in the last. A player obviously camped, ignoring my instructions to get out, gaining an obvious advantage gets my whistle no matter what time is on the clock. But all things considered, I'd rather get one early so that it A) hopefully cleans it up for the rest of the game, and B) doesn't come as any surprise if I call one late in the game.

Sounds to me like you made the right call. Reaction to the call is a poor barometer of whether it was a good call.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Nov 28, 2007 at 09:08am.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had my second official game last night. 9th grade boys A & B. The second game went into tripple OT. Different partner. He is experienced and very laid back. I had two things to work on from my previous game. 1) Communication with partner- It was great all night. I knew what he called & viceversa. Our mechanics worked well with each other. The games flowed very well. 2) Calling/Reporing- My calling mechanic and reporting was much better and we looked so much more professioanl, thus the fans werent too tough. Only two downers in my mind. 1) I had not called a 3-second vioaltion all game as the players always got out in time or a shot was attempted/rebounded; but in the final OT, visitor player would not come out of paint and had worked into a position under the basket waiting on a pass... I gave him six seconds and called a violation. Didnt go over well since it had not been called all game. 2) visitor throwin in final 2.5 seconds of game. Clock attendent started the clock on the throwin rather than my chop, thus the clock went off just after the player caught the ball. We met, reset, and let the visitor have one last chance. They needed to hit a three to tie. Game Over. Much better games.
Any thoughts on the 3-second issue? should I have let it go? It was a one point game at that point, although i didnt know it at the time.

Good awareness that you caught the clock error, most new officials would have let that go. regarding three seconds, don't make that you're favorite call as you obviously didn't but you went and got it when it was glaringly apparent.

Sounds like you did a great job. I wish I had been as smooth my second game.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
3 second issue: you can take this "if we didn't call it in the first 2 minutes don't call it in the final 2 minutes" stuff a bit too far. If a call has to be made then make it. You stepped up to make a great call is how I read the sitch.

Clock issue: For completeness you might have moved the spot to be nearest where the ball was when you hit the whistle. Otherwise you did it right since you had definite knowledge.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

good comments all. Thanks. Interesting point on placement of the ball for "redo". I had not considered that. We simply did a redo from original throwin spot. Home team stayed out of visitor FC and let them throwin and shoot.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Along the 3 second call, if it is there, you have to go get it. From a game management side, however, do you talk to the post players. I will often give them a "get out of the lane white" once or twice before I make the call. Most of the camps and such I've been to consider 3 seconds a game interrupter. Just a suggestion. From the play you described, you made the call you had to.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Clock issue: For completeness you might have moved the spot to be nearest where the ball was when you hit the whistle.
Rules citation allowing you to do that?

And if you do that, how much time are you planning on putting back on the clock?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

You should keep the original spot on throw-in!!
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Interesting point on placement of the ball for "redo". I had not considered that. We simply did a redo from original throwin spot.
It will be interesting if anyone can come with a definitive rules citation that will allow the original throw-in spot to be moved to where the ball was caught and also putting the full 2.5 seconds back on the clock at the same time too.

We've argued this one to death.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Rules citation allowing you to do that?

And if you do that, how much time are you planning on putting back on the clock?
Thank you.

(I knew *someone* would reply this way, glad it was you! )
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 11:49am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
There's a difference between "letting it go all night and then calling it in the last minute" and "not having a violation until the last minute and calling it".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
3 second issue: you can take this "if we didn't call it in the first 2 minutes don't call it in the final 2 minutes" stuff a bit too far. If a call has to be made then make it. You stepped up to make a great call is how I read the sitch.
I agree completely with both of these comments.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 12:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
The second game went into tripple OT. Different partner. He is experienced and very laid back.
If he let the game go into even a single overtime, apparently he's not experienced enough.