The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

"Dead Ball" Technical Foul

Hey guys,

One more situation that occurred from the game BEFORE mine tonight (another freshman game).

With about two minutes left in the fourth quarter, there is a scramble for the ball and a jump ball is called. The white team has the arrow and the ball is awarded to them at the sideline. The white team coach decides to call a timeout which the officials grant.

For some unknown reason, the white player who was in the scramble for the ball decides to exhibit his frustration and spikes the ball on the floor. It's an easy technical for the officials to call.

After the timeout is over, the officials administer the technical foul with the brown team shooting both free throws.

However, the weirdness begins after the free throws. The official grant the ball back to white at half court in front of the score table.

My partner and I were doing our pregame in the stands and discussed this. I thought the ball should have been given to the brown team at half court opposite the score table.

I talked to the two officials after the game and it seemed they went with the "point of interruption" when giving the ball back. I pointed out that they put the ball in at the wrong location in that case.

Can someone clarify for me what exactly should have been done in this situation? I looked at the rule book to see about "dead ball" technical fouls. I'm thinking this should have been handled like any other technical (two free throws, ball at half court to the other team).
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules: all (single) technical fouls are 2FTs and possession of the ball at the division line opposite the table.

NCAA: unsporting technicals are 2FTs and the game resumes at the POI.

It sounds like the crew you were watching mistakenly applied the NCAA rule to the situation.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Coach...just curious, we know they messed up both the teem that should be getting the ball AND the throw-in spot. Do you recall what (if anything) they did with the A/P arrow?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Brown ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
The brown team shooting both free throws.
coach41: I hope that you don't mind. This is a detour, not a hijack. An off topic detour, but just a detour.

I've been doing this for twenty-nine years, scholastic games, travel games, recreation games, AAU games, etc., from third graders, up to junior college, thousands of games, with players wearing jerseys all the "one syllable" colors of the rainbow, and I've never, ever, had a brown team. I just realized that when the word brown in your post sounded odd to me.

Sorry. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

@KJUmp - Good point. I remember looking at the arrow after the technical was given (obviously pointing to the white team). However, in the ensuing "madness", I didn't look at it after the ball was inbounded.

@BillyMac - No worries. I was originally going to go with the standard "black" and "white" team descriptions since one team was wearing white. However, the other team was indeed wearing BROWN uniforms and I decided to stick with that.

On a side note, the only reason I noted this play was because I was doing some evaluations of one of the refs. I am missing one of my association's meeting next week and was told I should do some evaluations to make up for missing the meeting (in lieu of taking the fine). I certainly picked an interesting game to go watch and see this situation.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 11:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So they kicked this when being evaluated? did you inform them of the proper rule?
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

I did talk to both of the guys a little bit during a timeout but didn't have time to get a full explanation of why they went with the NCAA rule. After their game ended, I didn't much opportunity as well as my partner and I had to get ready for our game.

Because I wasn't sure if having the technical being given during the timeout changed anything, I can't say I "pointed out their error". I came home to double check the rule book and then posted here.

However, I did submit an evaluation of the situation after i got clarification so the two officials should know about the situation now.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NFHS rules: all (single) technical fouls are 2FTs and possession of the ball at the division line opposite the table.

NCAA: unsporting technicals are 2FTs and the game resumes at the POI.

It sounds like the crew you were watching mistakenly applied the NCAA rule to the situation.
....or simply got confused since the technical foul was called after the awarding of possession via the arrow.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Cowboy State ...

Quote:
However, the other team was indeed wearing BROWN uniforms and I decided to stick with that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 12:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
However, the other team was indeed wearing BROWN uniforms and I decided to stick with that.
Was it these guys? And...where's their numbers?

Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Happy New Year!

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.sfhs.com/data/files/News/...umb/grant1.jpg

This wasn't the actual uniforms since it was the freshman team. The varsity jerseys look way better than the freshman got!