The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

"Foul Ball"

I called two scrimmage games (NFHS) this weekend. The evaluators did an excellent job of pointing out my weaknesses and suggesting improvements, for which I am grateful. I pride myself in my ability to quickly modify my behavior/mechanics when suggested and I want to progress in the quality of my assignments. One evaluator suggested a mechanic that has been previously discussed on this site that I want to re-visit.

Verbalize and signal “Foul Ball” vs. the silent, just signaled “Foul Ball”. (FB)

I have been taught to verbalize and signal “FB” on EVERY foul ball, whether 1 inch off the line, or 3 feet off the line. The inflection of my voice is the barometer of the closeness of the ball to the foul line. The NHFS Rules Book shows the little picture of the proper mechanic for “FB” and a caption under that reads, “Verbally, calls ‘Time’, ‘Foul ball’ or ‘Dead ball’.” Now my evaluators want me to verbalize “FB” only on the borderline calls (around the batters box, foul balls hit directly to the backstop, down the line between the line and the coach’s box, and close to the line in the outfield). This is contradictory to my previous training and I am having a hard time mentally transitioning from the old mechanic to the new mechanic.

I am obviously going to try my best to change my mechanic, (no doubt about that) but why is this mechanic deviating from the NFHS Rules Book? Do other evaluators on this site modify NFHS mechanics? And what is the reasoning for changing a mechanic?

Just curious, but for some reason this bothers me enough to post on this site.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

This is the "trickle down" theory. The mechanic to NOT call "obvious foul balls is an NCAA mechanic; at this point, so far as I know, it is not an NFHS or ASA mechanic.

The "trickle down" is that the top umpires that also work NCAA are probably your trainers and evaluators (or were personally evaluated by NCAA umpires), and they proceed with a philosophy that a mechanic that is required at the "higher" level must also be appropriate at a "lower" level".

It is easy to get confused by some of the minute and insignificant differences. While I can understand that it may seem unnecessary that an obvious foul be verbalized, I can't see what it hurts when it is. Other than indicating an umpire isn't using NCAA mechanics in an NFHS or ASA game, I also don't see why an evaluator wouuld tell you that you need to change.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I was advised to only verbalize "Foul Ball" on the close/boarderline calls as well.

I attended a JC game a couple weeks ago and noticed the PU never called "Foul", used "Dead Ball" every time instead. That struck me as odd.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary
I was advised to only verbalize "Foul Ball" on the close/boarderline calls as well.

I attended a JC game a couple weeks ago and noticed the PU never called "Foul", used "Dead Ball" every time instead. That struck me as odd.
And then you have a runner flying down the 3B line diving into the plate wiping out the catcher who is waiting for a new ball only to look up and see the umpire 15' down the line giving a dead ball signal.

Yes, sometimes it seems ludicrous to verbalize a foul ball, but there are others relying upon it like a batter that put the ball into the air over the backstop, but she doesn't know that as she is churning for 1B. A runner off on the pitch unnecessarily sliding into 2B or 3B. How long have coaches been telling runners to run and not watch the ball?

Also, what may be "obvious" to you may not be so to others. If someone gigs you on that, I'd hate to see what happens if you are forced to exit the plate area throuth the LH batter's box.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 03:13pm.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
This is the "trickle down" theory. The mechanic to NOT call "obvious foul balls is an NCAA mechanic; at this point, so far as I know, it is not an NFHS or ASA mechanic.

The "trickle down" is that the top umpires that also work NCAA are probably your trainers and evaluators (or were personally evaluated by NCAA umpires), and they proceed with a philosophy that a mechanic that is required at the "higher" level must also be appropriate at a "lower" level".

It is easy to get confused by some of the minute and insignificant differences. While I can understand that it may seem unnecessary that an obvious foul be verbalized, I can't see what it hurts when it is. Other than indicating an umpire isn't using NCAA mechanics in an NFHS or ASA game, I also don't see why an evaluator wouuld tell you that you need to change.
Steve is correct on all points. And I was hoping to get to say all of this!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

So, to summarize, this is a sound and accepted mechanic (per AtlUmpSteve), but use your best judgment when applying it (per IRISHMAFIA).

Thanks for the help.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And then you have a runner flying down the 3B line diving into the plate wiping out the catcher who is waiting for a new ball only to look up and see the umpire 15' down the line giving a dead ball signal.

Yes, sometimes it seems ludicrous to verbalize a foul ball, but there are others relying upon it like a batter that put the ball into the air over the backstop, but she doesn't know that as she is churning for 1B. A runner off on the pitch unnecessarily sliding into 2B or 3B. How long have coaches been telling runners to run and not watch the ball?

Also, what may be "obvious" to you may not be so to others. If someone gigs you on that, I'd hate to see what happens if you are forced to exit the plate area throuth the LH batter's box.
Agreed 100%. But, Mike, you of all people shouldn't be surprised to learn that NCAA coaches do not want umpires to tell players anything, even that a batted ball is foul. Base umpires are instructed to neither echo nor signal foul balls called by the plate umpire, just allow runners to run, slide, whatever, rather than tell them. Because, don't you know, they should only be listening to their coaches!!
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Agreed 100%. But, Mike, you of all people shouldn't be surprised to learn that NCAA coaches do not want umpires to tell players anything, even that a batted ball is foul. Base umpires are instructed to neither echo nor signal foul balls called by the plate umpire, just allow runners to run, slide, whatever, rather than tell them. Because, don't you know, they should only be listening to their coaches!!
Which is just another in a long line of posts from knowledgable individuals that support my contention that the coaches run NCAA softball.

But, then again, this discussion wasn't about the NCAA rules, but HS. As you noted, it is just the inaccurate belief that since the NCAA game is perceived as the highest level of softball, that many involved believe their "mechanics" are "the" mechanics.

Sorry, but I disagree, but you knew that, didn't you?