The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't GAF what the coach thinks here. A quick "the shot was in the air" will be enough.

Now, chances are, you're not going to hit the whistle on this until it's through, given the timing of it all. But if you call this T, he's either going to challenge you by saying he was trying to block the shot or he's going to be pissed at his player. He's not going to question the basket counting.
The last time I called this (which was so long ago I can hardly remember the year) and the coach questioned me when I counted the basket too as it actually went into the basket. Again, coaches do not know rules and to expect you will make them happy is futile at best.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The last time I called this (which was so long ago I can hardly remember the year) and the coach questioned me when I counted the basket too as it actually went into the basket. Again, coaches do not know rules and to expect you will make them happy is futile at best.

Peace
Okay, I stand corrected on one point.

I still don't care.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Okay, I stand corrected on one point.

I still don't care.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Did I Hear Somebody Say, "Most Misunderstood Rule" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is one of the most misunderstood rules in the game of basketball.
This is a job for the Mythbusters:

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Very good discussion.

That's such a tough call because of the speed of the game and the judgment involved, but I am with you guys, I tend to let the kids try to block the shot and if they make contact on the board while attempting, so be it.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballTip View Post
Very good discussion.

That's such a tough call because of the speed of the game and the judgment involved, but I am with you guys, I tend to let the kids try to block the shot and if they make contact on the board while attempting, so be it.
That's good, because that's what the rule says.

As Rut pointed out previously, if there's any question, it's a no-call.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Just to add...

Interp from 2000-2001:

SITUATION 5: A1 steals the ball from B2 and is on a breakaway. B3 is attempting to catch A1 but is trailing the play. As A1 attempts a lay up, B3 tries to block the shot and fails. During B3’s attempt to block the shot, his/her hand slaps the backboard. RULING: Even though the contact with the backboard was very obvious, it was not an intentional act and would not be ruled illegal. COMMENT: No doubt the coach and spectators of Team A will protest that a technical foul should have been called on B3. The covering official must base his/her decision on the intent of the play. (10-3-6)
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Play-On is soccer, not basketball :-)
It works quite well in basketball too. It's especially useful when the table blows the horn during play.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

And for the 50th time...

Why is this topic--slapping the backboard and penalty--so difficult for several officials? Every other day, somebody new posts this subject to the discussion board. It's very simple--slapping the backboard is either a technical foul or nothing (if you judge the slapper was making a legitimate block attempt.)
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox34 View Post
Why is this topic--slapping the backboard and penalty--so difficult for several officials? Every other day, somebody new posts this subject to the discussion board. It's very simple--slapping the backboard is either a technical foul or nothing (if you judge the slapper was making a legitimate block attempt.)
My only question is...is it the same folks that want to go to the AP on every IW?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
My only question is...is it the same folks that want to go to the AP on every IW?
Yep, and they also call "first to touch" violations when players come in from legally being out of bounds and legally catch a pass.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 08:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't they know it's the end of the world ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox34 View Post
Why is this topic, slapping the backboard and penalty, so difficult for several officials?
Why does the sun go on shining?
Why does the sea rush to shore?
Why do the birds go on singing?
Why do the stars glow above?
Why does my heart go on beating?
Why do these eyes of mine cry?

It ended when you said goodbye.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
...or go AP automatically when there's no team control.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:55pm
M.A.S.H.

One additional note... this was part of the 2008-2009 POEs.

4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD.
The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that "intentionally slapping or striking the backboard" is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit as intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legititmate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
...or go AP automatically when there's no team control.
BITS signature says it perfectly. I've been trying to say that for years but it never came out as well as BITS says it.