The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 10:31pm
In Time Out

injury Ft question

"Nowitzki shot two free throws left-handed immediately after the play. By taking the free throws -- Nowitzki made 1 of 2 -- he remained eligible to return to the game."
Houston Rockets forward Carl Landry breaks five teeth in collision - ESPN

Is there such a rule in HS or college? Me personally, if a player can't take the FTs because he is injured but can return later that would be fine. Maybe some 4th quarter restrictions.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 11:20pm
M.A.S.H.

A player that has to be subbed due to injury, by rule, may return after the clock has properly started (just like any other sub).
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:09am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
A player that has to be subbed due to injury, by rule, may return after the clock has properly started (just like any other sub).
Except for being unconscious...
PLEASE NOTE NEWBS:
You will see this injured FT shooter situation handled different from above rules citation outside of FED rules set...
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:35am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Except for being unconscious...
PLEASE NOTE NEWBS:
You will see this injured FT shooter situation handled different from above rules citation outside of FED rules set...
They can come back too... but they gotta have the Doc's ok.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Aren't They Required By Some State High School Associations ???

Don't these guys where mouth guards? Basketball is a contact sport. I wear mine during pickup games. They protect not just the teeth, but the lips, cheeks, and tongue. They also help protect against concussions and jaw fractures.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dr. No Doesn't Count ...

Quote:
They can come back too... but they gotta have the Doc's ok.
I believe, in writing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Don't these guys where mouth guards? Basketball is a contact sport. I wear mine during pickup games. They protect not just the teeth, but the lips, cheeks, and tongue. They also help protect against concussions and jaw fractures.
In MA the MIAA has gone from mandating mouth guards for basketball to only recommending their use. My daughter played in high school when they first mandated mouth guards and while there was a level of protection, I also witnessed kids who put a mouth guard directly into their mouths after dropping it on the court, kids taking it out during time outs or stoppages or before free throws then handling the ball or touching the hands of a teammate, and of less importance medically, kids trying to talk on defense and having it sound like a unique language.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
"Nowitzki shot two free throws left-handed immediately after the play. By taking the free throws -- Nowitzki made 1 of 2 -- he remained eligible to return to the game."
Houston Rockets forward Carl Landry breaks five teeth in collision - ESPN

Is there such a rule in HS or college? Me personally, if a player can't take the FTs because he is injured but can return later that would be fine. Maybe some 4th quarter restrictions.
Under NBA rules a player is not allowed back in the game if they must shoot free throws and can not unless the foul was unsportsmanlike. Under NFHS and NCAA no restrictions are in place.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fool Me Once, Twice, Three Times, I'm Not Very Bright ...

According to the ESPN link, Carl Landry has lost five teeth, on three occasions, playing NBA basketball. You would think that he would learn to use a mouth guard after losing the first tooth. That's what did it for me.

Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe, in writing.
and it cannot be the trainer's ok. Has to be an MD.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 01:49pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
I believe, in writing.
You are correct. Must be written authorization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
and it cannot be the trainer's ok. Has to be an MD.
Correct. MD/DO

3-3-8
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are correct. Must be written authorization.

Correct. MD/DO

3-3-8
One last thing, one of the two or three the referees on the court must "witness" the unconsciousness of a player. If none of them sees it, then the player got away with it. Happened to my sister, she was knocked unconscious after hitting her head hard on the floor when she fell during one game, but was out for only a few seconds. Neither referee at that game saw it before running to where she was laying. She got lucky with that one and was back in the game a few minutes later.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One last thing, one of the two or three the referees on the court must "witness" the unconsciousness of a player. If none of them sees it, then the player got away with it. Happened to my sister, she was knocked unconscious after hitting her head hard on the floor when she fell during one game, but was out for only a few seconds. Neither referee at that game saw it before running to where she was laying. She got lucky with that one and was back in the game a few minutes later.
Perhaps you are misunderstanding that the purpose of the rule is for player safety. Your sister probably should have seen a doctor that day. Having sustained a concussion and continued playing in a soccer game, it was not good for me or my team for me to stay in the game that day, and I wish I was evaluated by a better trainer or doctor during that game.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 04:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Incorrect. The officials do not have to "witness" the action that caused the player to become apparently unconscious. Although, I would hope they would...

All 3-3-8 says is the following:

A player who has been determined apparently unconscious shall not return to play in the game without written authorization from a physician (MD/DO).

It says nothing about seeing the action that caused the player to be unconscious. Regardless of what happens, if the officials deem a player to have been apparently unconscious they are done for the day unless they get written authorization from a physician.

Last edited by tjones1; Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 04:12pm.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Incorrect. The officials do not have to "witness" the action that caused the player to become apparently unconscious. Although, I would hope they would...

All 3-3-8 says is the following:

A player who has been determined apparently unconscious shall not return to play in the game without written authorization from a physician (MD/DO).

It says nothing about seeing the action that caused the player to be unconscious. Regardless of what happens, if the officials deem a player to have been apparently unconscious they are done for the day unless they get written authorization from a physician.
THIS is what I meant. Determined apparently unconscious. Who shall be the determiner? the referees. I didn't say anything about witnessing the player to be unconscious or the play that caused the player to be rendered unconscious. I only said that the officials have to be there to see the player be unconscious in order to rule that he/she may not play without written authorization by a doctor.