The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Injury question...

This is not in regards to players getting injured by rather officials...

Have any of you ever been involved in a game where you or a partner have gotten injured during a game to the point where you cannot continue? What happens? I work primarily two man games. If it is a sub varsity game and the varsity guys are there, would you expect one to step in, even if it means cutting out on the pre-game conference? Similarly, if you are working a varsity game and someone goes down, would you expect a sub varsity guy to step in, even if he is not able to handle the game? Of course, the coaches would understand and cut the officials some slack in this circumstance

Most of the assignors I work for are of the belief that the game(s) should be played and we must do everything within our power to see it to the end.

Have any of you experienced something like this? How was it handled?
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

In our area the JV officials are the Varsity officials. All 3 (Or 2) of them work the JV and Varsity games.

In a 3-man game, we would just continue with 2 guys. With a 2-man game, I'm not really sure. If it was a junior high game, our assignor probably would let it finish with one person. Anything above that, we would call him to see what he wanted to do.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Subvarsity game: Our association doesn't have a written policy for anything like that so it would be up to the officials at the site. If it was 2-person, I would definitely step in and help rather than have the game cancelled or finished 1-person. However, we have some officials who would not help out in that situation. If it was 3-person, I would ask the 2 officials remaining if they want to finish the game with 2 or if they'd like me to be their third for the rest of the game.

Varsity game: Again, no written policy.... however, I have had about 5 varsity partners injured since I started officiating and I have never had a "JV" official say no when asked to fill in. I have always felt comfortable enough with at least one of the JV officials to ask them to fill in for the third official (another reason for JV officials to stick around and watch the Varsity game).
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 12:09am
Do not give a damn!!

There is no policy in my area about this directly. But we do encourage our sub-varsity officials to wait until the varsity officials are all present and observe the varsity game when possible.

I cannot recall if I have ever been in a game where a partner got hurt where they could not continue. But if that were to happen, I would do the best I could and get the game done. Not much you can do.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

In WI we have to start the game with 2 officials. We cannot begain a game until there are at least 2 officials. However, if one official becomes incapacitated so that they cannot continue, the game may be completed with one official.

In my experience when this has happened - they try and find a registered official to complete the game. (JV officials, or once - another officials who was watching in the stands) In my 20+ years I have only seen this happen 4 times. 3 of these were because an official did something silly - like running backwards, falling and smacking head on floor/bleacher. The other turned out to be a torn calf muscle.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 10:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

I've never had a partner leave a game due to injury, however, quite a few have wanted to leave after working a quarter with me.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 11:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Here In The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Here in our little corner of Connecticut, with almost all two-person games, varsity officials are "encouraged" to watch at least the second half of the junior varsity game that precedes the varsity game, and junior varsity officials are "encouraged" to stay for at least the first half of the varsity game that follows their game. The reason for this "encouragement" is that everybody at the site that night is expected to observe, evaluate, and rate the other three officials at the site, that is the varsity officials rate the junior varsity officials and their varsity partner, and the junior varsity officials rate the varsity officials and their junior varsity partner. In reality, most varsity officials usually show up for the entire junior varsity game, whereas some junior varsity officials are out the door immediately after their junior varsity game. But that's another story for another time.

During these overlap times there should be at least one extra official at the site to fill in for an injured official. About twenty-five years ago, I did my first varsity game when one of the officials in the varsity game that followed my junior varsity game for some reason did not show up for his varsity game. Two seasons ago, due to a scheduling error, no junior varsity officials were assigned to the game that preceded my varsity game, so I did the junior varsity game by myself, since my varsity partner didn't show up until late in the junior varsity game. That was a great payday since we get 150% fee for doing a game alone, so I got 150% of the junior varsity fee, and my entire varsity game fee, about $170. This past season, as I was watching a junior varsity game that preceded my varsity game, one of the junior varsity officials fainted in the first period. As he was being tended to, I quickly got dressed, and finished the last three periods of the junior varsity game with the non-injured junior varsity official.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 11:48am.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 11:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut One Person Guidelines ...

Here are some sugestions for doing a one person game here in Connecticut:

It is quite possible that you will eventually officiate a game by yourself. This document offers officiating guidelines and one-person officiating mechanics you should follow.

Assignment Commissioner
- Contact the Commissioner either before or after the game.
- If you are assigned a game by the Assignment Commissioner, do not accept an offer from a parent, coach, or a non-certified official. Work alone. Liability issues arise if you work with anyone other than a certified official.

Coaches and Administrators Conference
- Conduct a pre-game meeting with both coaches and the game administrator.
- Confirm that everyone is in agreement.
- Request coaches cooperation and express advance appreciation for them assisting you in keeping themselves and their teams under control.
- Stress and remind them of the importance of good sportsmanship and the example that they can and should set for their players.

Pregame Captains-Coaches Meeting
- Conduct at 2-minute mark
- Explain that you will appreciate and expect the cooperation from both teams.
- Explain that you expect the players to retrieve all loose balls once the whistle is sounded.

Floor Coverage
- Work the sideline nearest or the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches.
- As the ball goes toward the opposite sideline, you will have to move off the sideline toward the center of the floor.
- Avoid getting caught on the end line.
- You must work hard at getting open looks and move to obtain proper angles in order to be in the most advantageous position to referee all players. Have a high level of awareness on plays to the basket and shooters.

Start/Stop Clock
- You must stop/start clock at all opportunities using the proper mechanic. For example, after a missed free throw that will remain live, you must start the clock.

Out of Bounds
- Request players and coaches to assist you on out of bounds violations if necessary.
- If disagreement results, use the alternating possession arrow to make decision.
- After designating the throw-in spot, move to your position (see Floor Coverage) and either bounce or toss the ball to the player for the throw-in.

Time Outs
- Stand at the division line, ¾ away from the scorer’s table with ball on hip toward the teams’ basket which will have control of the ball. After 1st horn, move to area on the playing court where play will resume.

Three Point Shots
- Do not guess. Move to improve your angle, if you don’t know, it counts as 2-points the same as if there were two officials working the game.

Reporting Fouls
- Move towards an area visible to the scorers and keeping as many players within your field of vision.

Free Throw Coverage
- Assemble the players and administer every free throw from the Trail position.
- Ensure proper alignment of players on free throw lane lines, leaving the first spaces between the end line and neutral blocks vacant.
- Closely monitor disconcertion.

Presses
- Remain at the free throw line extended in the backcourt, and move up the court with the players.

Maintain Control
- Maintain your composure.
- You may need to blow your whistle more so players do not take advantage of the situation.
- Take charge early to help keep the crazy stuff in check.
- Do not argue with the coaches. Keep your cool and remind them that you are working hard for them.
- Do the best you can. It is not your fault that this situation occurred.
- Remember that, if approached properly, people will almost always be willing to assist.
- Remember that you are the best official on the floor, albeit the only one.

Sources: Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials (IAABO Board 106) and Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 11:43am.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Thanks for all of the replies. My board takes a similar stance as what some of you mentioned on officials hanging around to at least make sure the officials for the next game are present before leaving.

I have never been in this situation but I could definitely see it being something that happens to me!
Old Tue Aug 25, 2009, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post

Varsity game: Again, no written policy.... however, I have had about 5 varsity partners injured since I started officiating.
Wow....remind me to never work with you. You seem to be hard on your partners!
Old Tue Aug 25, 2009, 09:07am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Wow....remind me to never work with you. You seem to be hard on your partners!

That's because they have to work so hard to carry him..... well thats what my partners always say at least.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.