The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Situation: Clock is running, RFP has been blown and then you realize there's an injured player on defense. You stop the clock and the player is replaced. Will the clock restart on the RFP and the offense get a full 25 second clock?

The reason I ask, in a game last year, the defense was down by a couple with around two minutes to play and no timeouts. The offense is about to snap the ball when I see a linebacker hunched over. The coach starts yelling at me to stop the clock for an injury. The linebacker stands up straight and yells back he's fine. The coach continues to yell "stop the clock" and the player keeps saying that he's OK. It was obvious that the coach was crying wolf.

Looking back on it now, I probably should have taken the coach's "injured" player out of the game. However, this would have allowed the offense to run another 25 seconds off the clock, correct? Now the coach would have been really upset. Any thoughts?

[Edited by Patton on Aug 27th, 2005 at 12:04 AM]
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 3-4-2a. Clock starts on the RFP. Coach screwed himself. Of course, it's up to you if you call the injury timeout, based on the disagreement between the coach and the player. But if you do, clock starts and A gets a full new 25 to run off the clock.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 07:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
Situation: Clock is running, RFP has been blown and then you realize there's an injured player on defense. You stop the clock and the player is replaced. Will the clock restart on the RFP and the offense get a full 25 second clock?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally posted by Patton The reason I ask, in a game last year, the defense was down by a couple with around two minutes to play and no timeouts. The offense is about to snap the ball when I see a linebacker hunched over. The coach starts yelling at me to stop the clock for an injury. The linebacker stands up straight and yells back he's fine. The coach continues to yell "stop the clock" and the player keeps saying that he's OK. It was obvious that the coach was crying wolf.

Looking back on it now, I probably should have taken the coach's "injured" player out of the game. My thinking is this would have allowed the offense to run another 25 seconds off the clock, and the coach would have been really upset now. Is that correct? Any thoughts?
I do things a bit differently when I am the Referee.

I might stop the clock and personally ask the player if he is ok. If he says he is, then I will whistle the play clock in, and then wait the number of seconds that ticked off the previous play clock before starting the game clock.

It may be unorthodox, but I'd rather deal with that than wonder a kid in trouble. The way I managed the clock, neither team gains a clock advantage.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Patton

The reason I ask, in a game last year, the defense was down by a couple with around two minutes to play and no timeouts. The offense is about to snap the ball when I see a linebacker hunched over. The coach starts yelling at me to stop the clock for an injury. The linebacker stands up straight and yells back he's fine. The coach continues to yell "stop the clock" and the player keeps saying that he's OK. It was obvious that the coach was crying wolf.

Looking back on it now, I probably should have taken the coach's "injured" player out of the game. However, this would have allowed the offense to run another 25 seconds off the clock, correct? Now the coach would have been really upset. Any thoughts?

[Edited by Patton on Aug 27th, 2005 at 12:04 AM]
It is up to the official, not the coach. No time out, keeing the clock going here. To any extent, yes clock starts on the RFP.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.