The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Sorry that the process for selecting postseason officials in your area is so corrupt and unfair. Obviously, that is your opinion. Since I have no such information about how Ohio does this, other than what MTD posts, I have to assume that the people who get those games deserve them and handle the situations aptly.
I haven't been around long enough to even qualify for the tourney, so your assumption there was just as wrong. Your implication that my opinion is sour grapes because I suck at this is a mighty big assumption since you have no clue about who I am. I don't know MTD either, but while he may not use the same extreme words I did to make a point, he probably doesn't like it either. For the record, assignments are based primarily on votes from our associations (political); Athletic directors (since I friends with a couple, I know how uninformed they are about the officials and their performance)(also political) and the coaches who see us work. (very political). I know quite a few officials who let coaches get away with murder because they don't want it to affect their assignments. That wouldn't make you uncomfortable? In my mind, the only people who should be involved are assignors. But I've only been around for 6 years and don't do enough Varsity games yet to qualify.

Quote:
Why would your state rule interpreter say to allow the switch? How can you be so sure that he would say to do that? Upon what basis would he make that ruling?
BECAUSE I CALLED HIM WHEN THE SECOND SITUATION OCCURRED AND ASKED HIM ABOUT IT SPECIFICALLY.(He was, at the time, also one of my assignors) (Thanks for playing)

The funny part was when he said that any official that would do that was being "overly officious".

Quote:
A red herring is an item which diverts attention from actual significance. Contracts and liability are not items without significance.
Exactly. There is no signifigance to my liability based on who is coaching. If I am liable for something that happens, its more likely I will win the multi state lottery than who the HC is affecting the situation.

Quote:
No one has said that would be the case. One would have to believe that the school would replace her as the head coach.

BTW say hello to Germaine for the rest of us when you see him.
That was your implication. When it happened later that year with the coach in question, there was no new contract. They just said to the Assisstant Coach, you finish the season as HC. He didn't sign a new contract. He didn't get a raise. So therefore, by YOUR logic, if something happened (for the life of me, I could'nt even begin to imagine what it would be---hence the red fish) by your reasoning, I would be liable. Your logic is flawed. OR as seems to be the case, based on many of your posts, you're one of those overly officious referees who can't react to anything that isn't literally in the book. You probably yell at cheerleaders when they come on the floor during 30 second timeouts.

Your arrogant put down of a spelling error I made in a previous thread says a lot more about what an *** you are than how stupid I am.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me

Last edited by Ignats75; Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 09:00am.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

May I Speak To The Captain Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
You probably yell at cheerleaders when they come on the floor during 30 second timeouts.
I don't yell at them, but I do ask who the captain is, and then ask the captain not to come out on the floor for thirty second timeouts for the remainder of the game. I will also show her the signals for thirty, and sixty, second timeouts so that she will know when to come out onto the floor, and when not to. Why would I handle this any other way?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I treat this like the coaching box. If I'm not distracted by it and they are off the floor before the warning horn, I ignore them. Otherwise, I'll just go tell them the rule. Most of the time, they aren't aware of it.

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can We Play Some More, Alex ??? Please ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Technetium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Winner.
He didn't answer in the form of a question.

Buzz. What is Technetium?

Did I win? What's my prize?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I haven't been around long enough to even qualify for the tourney, so your assumption there was just as wrong. Your implication that my opinion is sour grapes because I suck at this is a mighty big assumption since you have no clue about who I am.
My goodness. Where did I write anything of the sort? I merely commented on what you expressed as an opinion. I wrote nothing at all about your assignments, your potential selection for post-season, or your officiating ability. YOU inferred all of those sentiments. News flash: it's not all about you.
Quote:
I don't know MTD either, but while he may not use the same extreme words I did to make a point, he probably doesn't like it either. For the record, assignments are based primarily on votes from our associations (political); Athletic directors (since I friends with a couple, I know how uninformed they are about the officials and their performance)(also political) and the coaches who see us work. (very political). I know quite a few officials who let coaches get away with murder because they don't want it to affect their assignments. That wouldn't make you uncomfortable? In my mind, the only people who should be involved are assignors. But I've only been around for 6 years and don't do enough Varsity games yet to qualify.
I have posted on this very forum several times that having the ADs and coaches involved in the post-season selection process compromises the integrity of the game. I still stand by that position. So if the system is the way that you describe it in your state, then it likely is problematic. Still I believe that the officials who are deserving will find their way there. Afterall, the coaches have great interest in making sure that they get a fair shake at that time of the season and Homer Joe isn't going to be their #1 choice when they know that they must travel.

Quote:
BECAUSE I CALLED HIM WHEN THE SECOND SITUATION OCCURRED AND ASKED HIM ABOUT IT SPECIFICALLY.(He was, at the time, also one of my assignors) (Thanks for playing)

The funny part was when he said that any official that would do that was being "overly officious".
So you do have a friend in the system. Good for you. Glad that he agrees with your opinion. I do not. I will note that you didn't bother to respond to the part where I inquired upon what rule basis he would make such a decision. Probably because you are well aware that he doesn't have any.

Quote:
Exactly. There is no signifigance to my liability based on who is coaching. If I am liable for something that happens, its more likely I will win the multi state lottery than who the HC is affecting the situation.
Again, it is NOT all about you. Why do you assume that I was talking about YOUR liability? Do you ever consider the school district's point of view, or the AD's? How about the actual Head Coach him/herself?

I was thinking about a polite question to coach/AD along the lines of "Do you know how that would impact your school's insurance policy?" or "Have you okay'd that with the (insert name of state association)?"

Quote:
That was your implication.
Nope, you are mistaken about the thought which I was expressing. In the future, please don't try to tell me what I was saying.
Quote:
When it happened later that year with the coach in question, there was no new contract. They just said to the Assisstant Coach, you finish the season as HC. He didn't sign a new contract. He didn't get a raise. So therefore, by YOUR logic, if something happened (for the life of me, I could'nt even begin to imagine what it would be---hence the red fish) by your reasoning, I would be liable.
No, but he might find himself in a difficult situation or the school might. Yet, again, this is not all about you. I know that in my area all Head Coaches are required to obtain certification from the state office, and that entails taking a course in which they must learn and demonstrate proficiency in CPR and response to basic emergency medical situations. The state office and the school wants a person with such skills accompanying the team on the bus or at an away site just in case there is a problem. If the person who takes over doesn't have that certification, then the whole purpose of this program has been ruined.
Quote:
Your logic is flawed.
I would contend that your reading comprehension is the area of difficulty.
Quote:
OR as seems to be the case, based on many of your posts, you're one of those overly officious referees who can't react to anything that isn't literally in the book. You probably yell at cheerleaders when they come on the floor during 30 second timeouts.
Yep, I know and enforce the rules as written. I guess that you don't care for that. For the record, I do not allow the cheerleaders on the floor during 30-second time-outs. Nice to see that you elect to set that rule aside--makes me wonder what else you don't bother to enforce.
Quote:
Your arrogant put down of a spelling error I made in a previous thread says a lot more about what an *** you are than how stupid I am.
To set the facts straight your error was made in an earlier post in this thread, not previous one, and mbyron was actually the first to poke fun at you about it. I guess that makes him an *** as well.
Perhaps you should lighten up and learn to take a joke. If you can't even stand our making fun of a spelling mistake of yours, then one would have to wonder how you handle grief from the spectators. Perhaps you put your fingers in your ears as you run up and down the court.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My goodness. Where did I write anything of the sort? I merely commented on what you expressed as an opinion. I wrote nothing at all about your assignments, your potential selection for post-season, or your officiating ability. YOU inferred all of those sentiments. News flash: it's not all about you.
Go back and reread what you wrote that I reponded to. Your post was patronizing and based on an assumption (your word) that was wrong. You know what happens when you assume.

Quote:
I have posted on this very forum several times that having the ADs and coaches involved in the post-season selection process compromises the integrity of the game. I still stand by that position. So if the system is the way that you describe it in your state, then it likely is problematic. Still I believe that the officials who are deserving will find their way there. Afterall, the coaches have great interest in making sure that they get a fair shake at that time of the season and Homer Joe isn't going to be their #1 choice when they know that they must travel.
Most officials that work it ARE deserving. But as a long time watcher of the later rounds and the televised final fours, its real easy to pick out officials whose time has passed them by and are there purely for political reasons. SO again, your belief is based on an assumption that is wrong. [ /b]

Quote:
So you do have a friend in the system. Good for you. Glad that he agrees with your opinion. I do not. I will note that you didn't bother to respond to the part where I inquired upon what rule basis he would make such a decision. Probably because you are well aware that he doesn't have any.
LOL. He's hardly a friend. In fact, despite being my assignor, I doubt he could put my name to my face. He is, however, regarded across the state as the top rules interpretor. The reason there is no rule basis is because there isn't one that requires officials to be contract law or privy to individual athletic department policies and procedures. We are only required to meet with the HC, whomever it is, prior to the beginnning of the game. That was his interpretation which is what the OHSAA pays him for. I repeat, there is nothing in the rulebook covering how the HC is chosen.

Quote:
Why do you assume that I was talking about YOUR liability? Do you ever consider the school district's point of view, or the AD's? How about the actual Head Coach him/herself? I was thinking about a polite question to coach/AD along the lines of "Do you know how that would impact your school's insurance policy?" or "Have you okay'd that with the (insert name of state association)?"
Why would I assume that it was anything OTHER than about me? Now you are the one venturing way beyond the rulebook. You want ME to worry about the school's liability? Why would I care or since I'm not an attorney even be qualified to look at that?

Quote:
I know that in my area all Head Coaches are required to obtain certification from the state office, and that entails taking a course in which they must learn and demonstrate proficiency in CPR and response to basic emergency medical situations. The state office and the school wants a person with such skills accompanying the team on the bus or at an away site just in case there is a problem. If the person who takes over doesn't have that certification, then the whole purpose of this program has been ruined.
And again, why is that the official's responsibility? It certainly isn't spelled out anywhere in the rulebook or official's manual.

Quote:
I would contend that your reading comprehension is the area of difficulty.Yep, I know and enforce the rules as written. I guess that you don't care for that. For the record, I do not allow the cheerleaders on the floor during 30-second time-outs. Nice to see that you elect to set that rule aside--makes me wonder what else you don't bother to enforce.
So, does Nevada have the coaching box? Do you spend half the time looking over your shoulder making sure those darn coaches stay in their box? Or as another example, do you ref the whole floor instead of your primary to make sure your partner calls every travel and carry? I never said I set aside the rule. In fact, in a response to someone less impressed with themselves, I even agreed that I handle that situation similar to them. But in the advantage/dosadvantage area, if they're at the other end of the floor and are off the floor before the horn, I'm not runnig down there to scold them.

Quote:
To set the facts straight your error was made in an earlier post in this thread, not previous one, and mbyron was actually the first to poke fun at you about it. I guess that makes him an *** as well.
Perhaps you should lighten up and learn to take a joke. If you can't even stand our making fun of a spelling mistake of yours, then one would have to wonder how you handle grief from the spectators. Perhaps you put your fingers in your ears as you run up and down the court.
I have no problem with my Buckeye Brethern, because he nailed me (and rightly so), within the context of that discussion. However, to take that shot outside the context of the error is just rude.

For the record, I generally ignore spectators, although ironically, I had one removed last night. In my entire career, that was my 5th fan to be removed. And the 4th from the same school.

Look, the bottom line in all this is that you cannot establish any justification within the rules to disallow the designation of an interim HC to stand in place of the HC who has a physical problem, and I quoted the state rules interprtors judgement of the official who agrees with you. Everything he said fits. As long as this is done prior to the coach's meeting (in our area at 2:00 mark), there is no reason not to allow it. I trust the interpretor allot more than your judgement which I believe has repeatedly been shown to be flawed and too rigid.

--- Me