The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Sick head coach

Head coach tells me in pregame that he is sick and may have to leave during the game, in which case his assistant will take over the head coaching responsibilities. I said uh.....alright. Can a head coach do this?
Secondly, if he relinquishes his head coaching duties to his assistant, but later in the game feels better and comes back can he then resume being the head coach again.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

I do not see any problem with the head coach leaving because of health issues, then returning at a later time.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Yes, and yes.

The rules require one adult as head coach. Don't be a plumber about the rest.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

If he has a note from a doctor and can provide you proof of immunizations and his full medical history he can come back. Make sure he's not wearing any jewelry.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 08:40am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This isn’t succession of the Presidency……

As long as they have one, and you know who it is, let it go.......poor, sick coach......
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Silly coach ought to know better than to plan a date for a game night. What was he thinking?
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

This is a bit of a long story but is Germaine to this discussion. My daughter plays varsity basketball. I tend to do mostly JV games so I can hustle over to watch her games when I'm done. Last year I walked into the gym during a time out. The administering official is someone I've worked with quite a few times. He calls me over to ask my opinion. The Hc for the other team is pregnant and not feeling well, so she asked if her AC could be the HC instead. He told her sure as long as he didn't hear from her all night. apparently my daughter's HC is upset. Apparently during the state tourney last year she asked for the same courtesy and the R told her no.

As soon as the game was over, both the AC and HC made a beeline for me to see what I thought. I agreed with how my buddy handled it but told them I would check with authorities. I spoke to 3 different assignors and 1 state rules interpretor and got 2 different answers.
One said there should be no courtesy, and all the others agreed with my buddy.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:22am
This IS My Social Life

Hey!!! I'm Offended!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Don't be a plumber about the rest.
As a licensed plumber by day/registered official by night, I take extreme umbrage at your snide comment degrading a trade which supports my family plus a half a dozen others.
You fail to sense the convenient similarities of being both an official and a plumber.
I often put up with a lot of ?%$* on the job during the day, I sometimes take a lot of ?%$* on the court at night. Easy transition from my day job to my night job.
And that ?%$* I'm talking about is my bread and butter.
Before you besmirch my beloved trade again, just remember -- every time you flush you put food on my family's table.
Next time you're sitting on the can reading your latest issue of Referee, maybe you'll be just a little more grateful for guys like me.
Don't degrade my trade. Better to say "Don't be a chemist from Connecticut about the rest."
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Talking Good Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
As a licensed plumber by day/registered official by night, I take extreme umbrage at your snide comment degrading a trade which supports my family plus a half a dozen others.
You fail to sense the convenient similarities of being both an official and a plumber.
I often put up with a lot of ?%$* on the job during the day, I sometimes take a lot of ?%$* on the court at night. Easy transition from my day job to my night job.
And that ?%$* I'm talking about is my bread and butter.
Before you besmirch my beloved trade again, just remember -- every time you flush you put food on my family's table.
Next time you're sitting on the can reading your latest issue of Referee, maybe you'll be just a little more grateful for guys like me.
Don't degrade my trade. Better to say "Don't be a chemist from Connecticut about the rest."
Man, you really know how to stink up a forum!
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

You fail to see the difference. On your day job, you (sometimes) go looking for ****. As an official, we shouldn't do that.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You fail to see the difference. On your day job, you (sometimes) go looking for ****. As an official, we shouldn't do that.
Beat me to it..........
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Beat me to it..........
There he goes, padding his posting totals again.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Though in all fairness, this one was just three minutes after the one he was referring to.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

So no potshots about padding posting totals this time, OK?
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Keep it up, Amesman, you'll get to 300 eventually.