The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hydrogen ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
What's the lightest naturally occurring radioactive element? Its name does not have a Latin root.
Hydrogen, or more specifically, Tritium,

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I guessed the information above, but wasn't sure if Tritium occurred naturally, so I had to look up this part: Tritium occurs naturally due to cosmic rays interacting with atmospheric gases. In the most important reaction for natural tritium production, a fast neutron (which must have energy greater than 4 MeV) interacts with atmospheric nitrogen: 147N + n → 126C + 31T

And I wasn't sure about it's non-Latin root, so I also looked up this part: French hydrogène : Greek hudro-, hydro- + French -gène, -gen.

Did I win? Do I get to pick a prize from the top shelf?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hydrogen, or more specifically, Tritium,

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I guessed the information above, but wasn't sure if Tritium occurred naturally, so I had to look up this part: Tritium occurs naturally due to cosmic rays interacting with atmospheric gases. In the most important reaction for natural tritium production, a fast neutron (which must have energy greater than 4 MeV) interacts with atmospheric nitrogen: 147N + n → 126C + 31T

And I wasn't sure about it's non-Latin root, so I also looked up this part: French hydrogène : Greek hudro-, hydro- + French -gène, -gen.

Did I win? Do I get to pick a prize from the top shelf?
No prize yet. My question refers to the element whose dominant isotope is radioactive.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 07:18pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Quote:
No prize yet. My question refers to the element whose dominant isotope is radioactive.
I'll take a stab..

Astatine. (At)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Not touching that one.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Technetium
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Radioactive Elements For $200, Alex ...

Quote:
Next question: what's the lightest naturally occurring radioactive element?
Quote:
Hydrogen, or more specifically, Tritium.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post
Astatine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Technetium
When did the Official Forum turn into "Jeopardy!"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
When did the Official Forum turn into "Jeopardy!"?
Most of those responses are not in the form of a question.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
This is a bit of a long story but is Germaine to this discussion. My daughter plays varsity basketball. I tend to do mostly JV games so I can hustle over to watch her games when I'm done. Last year I walked into the gym during a time out. The administering official is someone I've worked with quite a few times. He calls me over to ask my opinion. The Hc for the other team is pregnant and not feeling well, so she asked if her AC could be the HC instead. He told her sure as long as he didn't hear from her all night. apparently my daughter's HC is upset. Apparently during the state tourney last year she asked for the same courtesy and the R told her no.

As soon as the game was over, both the AC and HC made a beeline for me to see what I thought. I agreed with how my buddy handled it but told them I would check with authorities. I spoke to 3 different assignors and 1 state rules interpretor and got 2 different answers.
One said there should be no courtesy, and all the others agreed with my buddy.
I would have done as the referee at the State Tournament did. There is more to this than what officials care about. There are contracts and liability concerns. I'm sure that the school signs a contract with the person to be the head coach of the varsity team. I'm sure that the school has the students who make the team sign medical waivers in case a decision needs to be made regarding their health at a game site without their parents or guardians around. Changing who is the head coach and who attends the pregame meeting may have consequences in these areas. I'm not going to be the person who gets in the middle of that situation. Tell the school AD to sort it out. As far as I'm concerned, if the person with the contract is able to be on the bench, then that person is the Head Coach.

Perhaps this is why that official was working the State Tournament.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would have done as the referee at the State Tournament did. There is more to this than what officials care about. There are contracts and liability concerns. I'm sure that the school signs a contract with the person to be the head coach of the varsity team. I'm sure that the school has the students who make the team sign medical waivers in case a decision needs to be made regarding their health at a game site without their parents or guardians around. Changing who is the head coach and who attends the pregame meeting may have consequences in these areas. I'm not going to be the person who gets in the middle of that situation. Tell the school AD to sort it out. As far as I'm concerned, if the person with the contract is able to be on the bench, then that person is the Head Coach.

Perhaps this is why that official was working the State Tournament.
Reviewing contracts isn't in my job description. As long as I have 1 head coach for the game, and the let me know who it is, I'm ok with that.

If somebody else wants to make a stink about a "replacement" head coach, then they can, but there is nothing in the rules requiring a head coach be paid, or that they are the head coach for every game. Therefore, I don't have any business caring why the previous head coach isn't going to be the head coach for this game.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Reviewing contracts isn't in my job description. As long as I have 1 head coach for the game, and the let me know who it is, I'm ok with that.

If somebody else wants to make a stink about a "replacement" head coach, then they can, but there is nothing in the rules requiring a head coach be paid, or that they are the head coach for every game. Therefore, I don't have any business caring why the previous head coach isn't going to be the head coach for this game.
What part of "There is more to this than what officials care about," did you not understand?

Obviously, officials don't care who the team puts forward as the head coach, but the state association, the league directorship, the school AD, etc. may all care very much about such a designation.

I would think that the referee for the State Tournament game went and found someone from the state office and asked for a decision. That would be the proper course of action to take.

Again this is why some officials get to work games at those levels and others do not. Quite simply they care and are concerned about more than themselves.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 03:12am.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What part of "There is more to this than what officials care about," did you not understand?

Obviously, officials don't care who the team puts for as the head coach, but the state association, the league directorship, the school AD, etc. may all care very much about such a designation.

I would think that the referee for the State Tournament game went and found someone from the state office and asked for a decision. That would be the proper course of action to take.

Again this is why some officials get to work games at those levels and others do not. Quite simply they care and are concerned about more than themselves.
First of all, you deserve a semantic clarification. By state tournament, I didn't mean "State Finals". I was using the generic term which in Ohio means the entire tournment that starts at the sectional level and every school participates in. Second, I know who the official was that disallowed it, and he is universally regarded as an overly officious, arrogant imbecile who thinks his poop doesn't stink but has been around so long and is such a political hack, he scores high in the politics department which nets him assignments in the tournament. The way Ohio picks and assigns officials is a corrupted and idiotic process. SO your assumption on why he did what he did was way off base. He didn't consult anyone. Because, if he did, he would've been told by the state rules interpretor to allow the switch.

Your contract and laiblility issues are red herrings. If HC goes into labor an can't coach the rest of the year, should they cancel the rest of the season because the HC can't be there? Ridiculous.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me

Last edited by Ignats75; Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 12:19am.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all, you deserve a semantic clarification. By state tournament, I didn't mean "State Finals". I was using the generic term which in Ohio means the entire tournment that starts at the sectional level and every school participates in. Second, I know who the official was that disallowed it, and he is universally regarded as an overly officious, arrogant imbecile who thinks his poop doesn't stink but has been around so long and is such a political hack, he scores high in the politics department which nets him assignments in the tournament. The way Ohio picks and assigns officials is a corrupted and idiotic process. SO your assumption on why he did what he did was way off base. He didn't consult anyone. Because, if he did, he would've been told by the state rules interpretor to allow the switch.
Sorry that the process for selecting postseason officials in your area is so corrupt and unfair. Obviously, that is your opinion. Since I have no such information about how Ohio does this, other than what MTD posts, I have to assume that the people who get those games deserve them and handle the situations aptly.
Why would your state rule interpreter say to allow the switch? How can you be so sure that he would say to do that? Upon what basis would he make that ruling?

Quote:
Your contract and laiblility issues are red herrings.
A red herring is an item which diverts attention from actual significance. Contracts and liability are not items without significance.

Quote:
If HC goes into labor an can't coach the rest of the year, should they cancel the rest of the season because the HC can't be there? Ridiculous.
No one has said that would be the case. One would have to believe that the school would replace her as the head coach.

BTW say hello to Germaine for the rest of us when you see him.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll agree, this is probably a wise decision to make and you couldn't go wrong by making it.

Quote:
I would have done as the referee at the State Tournament did.
Tell the school AD to sort it out.
I'm just wondering what your ruling would be if the AD isn't there (it's an away game) and you can't get a hold of your assignor or the state.

Also, suppose this is your first time working for this school. There is a pregnant woman on the bench who seems to be taking charge of pregame discussions, but doesn't ever leave her seat or talk to you. Another person come to the coaches/captains conference. I would just assume she's an AC with a lot of basketball knowledge, wouldn't you?
What are you going to do if you find out at halftime that she is the real head coach?

In my opinion, and this is backed by the rules (not contracts, which we aren't privy to or able to enforce), the team can appoint one person as a head coach. By forcing them to name a person as head coach who isn't able to fulfill all the duties of head coach, you are putting that team at a disadvantage.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post
I'll take a stab..

Astatine. (At)
Good guess. Not the lightest.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Technetium