The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Continuous Motion?

A1 drives along the endline and secures the ball in her left hand as she jumps for a layup. She is fouled by B1 in the air and the ball pops out of her left hand...while in the air she grabs the ball with both hands in front of her chest and then throws up the ball with the right hand. Ball enters basket. What do you got?

Last edited by Reffing Rev.; Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 10:41am. Reason: Grammar
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

No basket, the try ended when she recovered the ball. 2 shots.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ouch, I hate this call.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ouch, I hate this call.

Why?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not in principal, I would just hate to take this basket away on a very athletic play. It makes sense, and it's the right call; I'd just have a sinking feeling in my chest if I made it.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 11:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Is there or has there ever been a case play or rules interp for this play?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

I don't recall one for that play specifically, but a try ends when it is certain it will be unsuccessful, and a try that is grabbed out of the air certainly meets that standard.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob has referenced 4-41-4, which defines when a try ends. Note that merely touching the ball does not end a try (4.41.4 A).
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't recall one for that play specifically, but a try ends when it is certain it will be unsuccessful, and a try that is grabbed out of the air certainly meets that standard.
Excellent applicaton
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
A1 drives along the endline and secures the ball in her left hand as she jumps for a layup. She is fouled by B1 in the air and the ball pops out of her left hand...while in the air she grabs the ball with both hands in front of her chest and then throws up the ball with the right hand. Ball enters basket. What do you got?
Quote:
Not saying who's right or wrong, just trying to further the debate. I don't know that I would deem the action from Rev's scenario as the try starting and ending.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not saying who's right or wrong, just trying to further the debate. I don't know that I would deem the action from Rev's scenario as the try starting and ending.
"Jump for the layup" is pretty much the try starting (well, it probably started earlier, but this makes it clear that there is a try in progess).

"Grabs the ball with both hands" is pretty much the end of the try.

If you want to say "the ball pops out of her left hand" is also the end of the try (since she might not have "released the ball"), I could agree in theory with that -- as a practical matter, I'm still calling that part of the try.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
"Jump for the layup" is pretty much the try starting (well, it probably started earlier, but this makes it clear that there is a try in progess).

"Grabs the ball with both hands" is pretty much the end of the try.

If you want to say "the ball pops out of her left hand" is also the end of the try (since she might not have "released the ball"), I could agree in theory with that -- as a practical matter, I'm still calling that part of the try.
Philosophically speaking I personally don't see "...while in the air she grabs the ball with both hands in front of her chest" as ending the try as I don't see ""in the air and the ball pops out of her left hand" as the beginning of the throw or as releasing the ball on a try.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, think of it this way: if it were a more ordinary case, she was fouled on the way up, and she released the ball, wouldn't you be calling a shooting foul? Even if the release was "awkward" or "ugly"? So that's probably the start of a try.

The rule specifically states that the try ends "when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful," as Bob has stated. When she catches it, the ball is headed AWAY from the basket. At that point, I'm pretty certain that the throw is unsuccessful.

The ball making two distinct trips toward the basket/backboard -- interrupted by a trip away -- must count as two distinct tries, IMO.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Try?

Quote:
I just have a question: It seems from this sit that the ball was knocked from her hand rather than her actually shooting it. Does this still qualify as a 'try'? I may not be reading this right, but it seems the sequence was up for a shot, ball is knocked from her hand, she recovers ball and shoots with right hand before landing again. Is this correct?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The ball making two distinct trips toward the basket/backboard -- interrupted by a trip away -- must count as two distinct tries, IMO.
Is the ball popping out of her hand a distinct trip or simply a fumble?
I’m not saying one way or another because I'm not quite sure. Because if this scenario happens except she never leaves the floor, I would certainly wave the basket. However, if she leaves the floor and fumbles the ball due to contact, recovers and gets the ball off before landing, I think I would count it.

Last edited by Vinski; Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 02:31pm.