The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

NFHS boy's game tonight:

A1 driving to basket for uncontested layup. Just as he begins his try but clearly before the ball is released, trail official whistles a contact foul on B1 against A2 near mid-court. A1 completes his successful shot. It's really a bang bang play.

Confusion ensues. Coach A is pleading for the basket to count. Officials confer and wave off the basket, verbally indicating that "the ball had not left his (A1's) when the foul occurred."

I think the question to be answered is actually this: Had A1 begun the motion which customarily signals the start of a try (or words to that effect) when the whistle blew?

I'm not faulting the officials cuz Lord knows I kick my share of calls and, as mentioned, the shot and the foul were very close in sequence.

As described, should team A get the basket and the ball at the spot of the foul?

Sven
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
NFHS boy's game tonight:

A1 driving to basket for uncontested layup. Just as he begins his try but clearly before the ball is released, trail official whistles a contact foul on B1 against A2 near mid-court. A1 completes his successful shot. It's really a bang bang play.

Confusion ensues. Coach A is pleading for the basket to count. Officials confer and wave off the basket, verbally indicating that "the ball had not left his (A1's) when the foul occurred."

I think the question to be answered is actually this: Had A1 begun the motion which customarily signals the start of a try (or words to that effect) when the whistle blew?

I'm not faulting the officials cuz Lord knows I kick my share of calls and, as mentioned, the shot and the foul were very close in sequence.

As described, should team A get the basket and the ball at the spot of the foul?

Sven
4-11-1 & 2
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

We have had this discusion a couple of times in the past months. But in the terms you describe it if you only have shooting motion/continuous motion after the ball has been released youd never have a shooting foul.

Continuous motion ends when the ball clearly is in flight. Once ball is clearly released (in flight) you wont have continuous motion
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
NFHS boy's game tonight:

Sven, if the shooter has begun his shooting motion before the foul, the shot counts if it goes. The ball does not have to be in flight if the foul is on the defense. It's the same as if the shooter was fouled. It makes no difference when the whistle blows, it's when the foul occurs.

Now, if a teammate of the shooter fouls, then the ball does have to be in flight for the shot to count.

The offiicals in the Duke-Indiana game this past Wednesday made the same mistake as the officals in the game you saw.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith