The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, sorry if this was asked and answered recently, but I have a question on Continuous Motion.

The rule book says that CM ends when the ball is clearly in flight. (4-11-1) But I was under the impression that when a player goes up for a layup, and on the way back down to the floor creams another player, it is a player control foul BECAUSE of the rules governing continuous motion.

Did I mess up?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
Guys, sorry if this was asked and answered recently, but I have a question on Continuous Motion.

The rule book says that CM ends when the ball is clearly in flight. (4-11-1) But I was under the impression that when a player goes up for a layup, and on the way back down to the floor creams another player, it is a player control foul BECAUSE of the rules governing continuous motion.

Did I mess up?
It is still a PC foul but not because of continuous motion. It is the airborne shooter rule.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier

Did I mess up?
It is still a PC foul but not because of continuous motion. It is the airborne shooter rule.
Of course this assumes you are using NFHS rules.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Cameron. I think I got the call right, but in my mind I was applying the wrong rule.

A1 went up for a jump shot behind the 3 point arc, and after releasing the ball B1 (who was rushing over to block the shot) got under the shooter so that A1 came down on top of B1 and fell to the floor.

I called a foul on B1 and awarded A1 3 FTs. In my mind I was applying Continuous Motion, but instead I should have been applying the rules governing an airborne shooter.