The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I think you need to read 4.19.8 Situation C.
Not really my situation explained though, since the shooter never got airborne. This was not a shooting situation, but an on-the-floor situation.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Not really my situation explained though, since the shooter never got airborne. This was not a shooting situation, but an on-the-floor situation.
That's not the point of the case play. Opposing prelims on a block charge play equal a double foul. Nevada's tagline is tongue in cheek.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:11pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
This was a block/charge play, couldn't have been double foul.
I couldn't agree more. See how logical this sounds?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What does contact with the floor or being airborne have to do with the act of shooting?

That case play definitely covers your situation. If there is no try for goal on the play, then you apply the POI rule and resume accordingly as detailed in the following interp.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 8: A1 has control of the ball in Team A's frontcourt. Post players A5 and B5 are pushing each other in an attempt to gain a more advantageous position on the block while (a) A1 is dribbling the ball; (b) the ball is in the air on a pass from A1 to A2; or (c) the ball is in the air on an unsuccessful try for goal by A1. An official calls a double personal foul on A5 and B5. RULING: In (a) and (b), Team A had control of the ball when the double foul occurred, and thus play will be resumed at the point of interruption. Team A will have a designated spot throw-in nearest the location where the ball was located when the double foul occurred. In (c), no team has control while a try for goal is in flight, and since the try was unsuccessful, there is no obvious point of interruption. Play will be resumed with an alternating possession throw-in nearest the location where the ball was located when the double foul occurred. Had the try been successful, the point of interruption would have been a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. (4-36; 6-4-3g; 7-5-9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I couldn't agree more. See how logical this sounds?
Sounds inexperienced with a great deal to learn to me.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

I had almost the exact same thing happen tonight. A had the ball, B head coach called timeout. I blew the whistle and when I realized the wrong team called the timeout, I gave the ball back to A at the nearest point, did not grant the timeout. I don't understand the logic of AP your buddy was talking about.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarron View Post
I had almost the exact same thing happen tonight. A had the ball, B head coach called timeout. I blew the whistle and when I realized the wrong team called the timeout, I gave the ball back to A at the nearest point, did not grant the timeout. I don't understand the logic of AP your buddy was talking about.
I don't understand why you didn't give the timeout.

As for the AP, some people have it in their heads that everytime there's an IW, the answer is the arrow.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 07:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't understand why you didn't give the timeout.
I don't either. Once the whistle is sounded, for whatever reason, correct, or incorrect, the ball is dead. Once the ball is dead, either team can request, and be granted, a timeout, with rare exceptions for injured, or disqualified players, successive with 0:00, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Wink On-the-floor

Quote:
A matter of semantics, but just because the foul happened "on the floor" does not mean it isn't a shooting foul. A player can be held so that they may not leave the floor but still start the shooting motion. In that case, we'd still award the player with 2/3 shoots.