The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
A1, in the process of shooting a 3-pt. shot is fouled by B2. The shot attempt is successful. Accoding to the case play listed in "Officiating Basketball", A1 is then going to shoot 2 Free throws.

How often does something like this happen?

I know the ruling is in process of shooting a 3-pt. shot that's missed, that 3 free throws are awarded, but hadn't until now heard of 2 free throws being allowed after a 3-pt. attempt was successful after being fouled.
But was his shirt tucked in?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 06:31am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Had one last night.....

FB game last night. V up by two. 2.7 secs left in the half. V inbounding the ball on the endline after made basket. I am new L. Only two V and H players in the backcourt (to include inbounder). I move downcourt to cover my area/players.

Ball inbounded to V2 who takes a few dribbles and heaves a shot from the backcourt around the foul line extended. TWEEEET! Buzzer. Me.

Partner called a foul on a three-point shot for V. H coach goes nuts - at his player for being stupid. Partner said H player ran right into shooter.

Amazingly, the V player made all three shots. V eventually won by six.......

Never had a three-point foul called that far away before.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1, in the process of shooting a 3-pt. shot is fouled by B2. The shot attempt is successful. Accoding to the case play listed in "Officiating Basketball", A1 is then going to shoot 2 Free throws.

How often does something like this happen?

I know the ruling is in process of shooting a 3-pt. shot that's missed, that 3 free throws are awarded, but hadn't until now heard of 2 free throws being allowed after a 3-pt. attempt was successful after being fouled.
2 if intentional, 1 if not.

I've heard more about this "Officiating Basketball" book in the past 10 minutes of perusing this forum then I ever have before.

It was published in 05. We are 15 days away from 2010- I think we should start referring to the 09/10 rule and case books.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
FB game last night. V up by two. 2.7 secs left in the half. V inbounding the ball on the endline after made basket. I am new L. Only two V and H players in the backcourt (to include inbounder). I move downcourt to cover my area/players.

Ball inbounded to V2 who takes a few dribbles and heaves a shot from the backcourt around the foul line extended. TWEEEET! Buzzer. Me.

Partner called a foul on a three-point shot for V. H coach goes nuts - at his player for being stupid. Partner said H player ran right into shooter.

Amazingly, the V player made all three shots. V eventually won by six.......

Never had a three-point foul called that far away before.
I've called one before. 2/3's of the length of the court, defender thought he could get a free whack at the shooter because of the situation.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
But was his shirt tucked in?
I would have no idea if shirt was tucked in or not, the case play didn't say LMAO.

Anywho, isn't that up to the floor officials to let the player know about the jersey being untucked?

Anymore I only mention it if the person's subbing in, which is rare since they're tucking it in while waiting.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

In the 2009-2010 NFHS CASE BOOK, this exact situation is given as an example.

on page 28 of the Case Book, under 4.19.3:
B1 is charged with an intentionalfoul on A1 who is in the act of shooting: (a) a successful two-point or three-point try; (b) an unsuccessful two-point try; or (c) an unsuccessful three-point try.

Ruling: in (a) and (b), A1 is awarded two free throws. in (c), A1 is awarded three free throws. In all situations ollowing the free throws, Team A is awarded a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.

pretty simple and straight forward.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
time to get rid of a new poster...

Now, now.......we all started somewhere
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would have no idea if shirt was tucked in or not, the case play didn't say LMAO.

Anywho, isn't that up to the floor officials to let the player know about the jersey being untucked?

Anymore I only mention it if the person's subbing in, which is rare since they're tucking it in while waiting.
Quote:
I had a similar situation last year for a Girls' C-Squad game, only it was metal bobbie pins & butterfly clips in the hair. She went through warmups and nothing was said. It wasn't till she came to the table to sub-in, that I noticed it, buzzed the floor officials about it & they gave the coach a warning about not following uniform rules/regulations.
Quote:
Actually, Most, if not all, the floor officials I've worked with have appreciated the fact that I've kept myself up to date on uniform regulations & catching things that wouldn't of been caught otherwise.

I've done the same thing during dead ball situations where a player is on the floor with the jersey untucked.
So which is it?

Last edited by biggravy; Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 11:23pm.