The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Violation or not?

Two situations, but somewhat similar. Are one or both a violation?

1. Can a player in his backcourt who has picked up his dribble, throw the ball off of his opponent's backboard, then catch and dribble again?

2. 1. Can a player in his frontcourt who has picked up his dribble, throw the ball off of his backboard, then catch and dribble again?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 08:45am
This IS My Social Life

Off the Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCoach View Post
Two situations, but somewhat similar. Are one or both a violation?

1. Can a player in his backcourt who has picked up his dribble, throw the ball off of his opponent's backboard, then catch and dribble again?

2. 1. Can a player in his frontcourt who has picked up his dribble, throw the ball off of his backboard, then catch and dribble again?
Casebook 4.15.4C.
1. No
2. Perhaps, assuming it is considered a "try"
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

+ 1 with Freddy. I just read this in the case book last night.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Off the glass

I agree with you, I thought the only way he could dribble again if he actually tries a shot, which hits backboard or rim and then he can rebound the ball and dribble again. BUT, check out Case Book, page 73, "Dribble Rule" 9.5 situation and see if that allows player to throw the ball off his own backboard. This is what has caused my question.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BUT, check out Case Book, page 73, "Dribble Rule" 9.5 situation and see if that allows player to throw the ball off his own backboard. This is what has caused my question.
I see why you're asking. The rationale given in that case ("a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s 'equipment' and may be used") is unrelated to the issue of whether A1 has made a try.

Nothing in the definition of 'dribble' (4-15) or 'illegal dribble' (9-5) supports this rationale. So where is it?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I see why you're asking. The rationale given in that case ("a team’s own backboard is considered part of that team’s 'equipment' and may be used") is unrelated to the issue of whether A1 has made a try.

Nothing in the definition of 'dribble' (4-15) or 'illegal dribble' (9-5) supports this rationale. So where is it?
It just is.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I agree with you, I thought the only way he could dribble again if he actually tries a shot, which hits backboard or rim.......
To be considered a "try", the ball does not have to hit the backboard or rim. The only qualification is that, in the opinion of the official, it was a legitimate try for goal.

Definitely, one of the most misunderstood rules. Right BillyBob, er, I mean BillyMac?
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
To be considered a "try", the ball does not have to hit the backboard or rim. The only qualification is that, in the opinion of the official, it was a legitimate try for goal.

Definitely, one of the most misunderstood rules. Right BillyBob, er, I mean BillyMac?
Yep, and the flip side of this is 99% of the time when it hits the backboard or rim, it's considered a try regardless of the player's intent.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yep, and the flip side of this is 99% of the time when it hits the backboard or rim, it's considered a try regardless of the player's intent.
I'm fine with that. But that's not the rationale given in 9.5, which says that the pass off one's own backboard is allowed because it's team "equipment."
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I really don't get that either, to be honest.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Off the glass

I must agree with Snaqwells, the word "equipment" in the case book, makes no sense to me. I have always thought that a "try for goal" allows the player to rebound and dribble again, regardless of did it hit the backboard or not. Case book says to throw the ball against the backboard will allow and offensive player to dribble again. I need clarification on is this the "rule" or not!!
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I must agree with Snaqwells, the word "equipment" in the case book, makes no sense to me. I have always thought that a "try for goal" allows the player to rebound and dribble again, regardless of did it hit the backboard or not. Case book says to throw the ball against the backboard will allow and offensive player to dribble again. I need clarification on is this the "rule" or not!!
Yes, it's the rule.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:11pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs up

Props to the player if he can do that without one of the other nine players getting to the ball first.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

This is a multi rule quote and has led to many mis understandings:

Rules in reference here:

9-5
4-31
4-41
4-15

The own equipment is referenced by the words "own goal" in 4-41. It can not be a shot ot opponents goal and this is part of the floor as defined by 4-15 and 4-13
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Off the glass

dbking, thanks for your reply and the information. Rule 9, section 5 states, "A player shall not dribble a second time after his first dribble has ended, unless it is after he has lost control because of;
1. A try for goal (my point on this whole situation)
2. A touch by opponent
3. A pass or fumble that was then touch by an opponent.

Why wouldn't there be a number 4? A pass off of his own backboard which he then catches would allow him to dribble again.

I am back to the beginning, I still think if he does not try a shot, this is a violation.