The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Air Horn!

BV game and early in the first period we are shooting the second free throw and just before the visiting team releases the ft an air horn goes off. He misses the shot, and next dead ball we stop play and my partner goes over with someone from game management and demand it. He threatened their team with a T is they didn't get it out of the crowd....a few of the football players on the front row turned around and magically made it appear!

My only question is would any of you have upon the rebound of the FT by the home team have stopped play? or was waiting for the dead ball the appropriate thing to do?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 01:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Probably Not A Popular Call On The Forum ...

This is not by the rule book, I have no citations, and a lot of Forum members are going to give me a hard time regarding my answer, but here it is. If I deem that the air horn caused the shooter to miss, I'm calling it disconcertion, and I'm giving the visitors another free throw. Yes, I know that the rule states that no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower, and I know that fans are not opponents, but this was an unsporting act, and I'm going to use common sense and use 2-3.

OK guys. I'm ready. Give me your best shot.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 02:11pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is not by the rule book, I have no citations, and a lot of Forum members are going to give me a hard time regarding my answer, but here it is. If I deem that the air horn caused the shooter to miss, I'm calling it disconcertion, and I'm giving the visitors another free throw. Yes, I know that the rule states that no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower, and I know that fans are not opponents, but this was an unsporting act, and I'm going to use common sense and use 2-3.

I don't think you can go there. What's the difference between the horn and a loud, shrill, piercing scream, or whistle, or whatever?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sat Dec 05, 2009 at 04:05pm.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 02:14pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I don't think you can go there. What's the difference between the horn and a loud, shrill piercing scream, or whistle, or whatever isn't artificial?
There, fixed it for ya!
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 02:19pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
There, fixed it for ya!
Some people can whistle really loud without using anything artificial.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 02:24pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
LOL DUH!!!!!!!!!!! Narrow minded....for some reason I was only thinking of a good old Fox 40 or old metal pea whistle in the crowd.

Good point... my fault.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have no problem with killing the play and giving the shooter another FT. But it has nothing to do with disconcertion. As you stated, fans can't be called for disconcertion. Use 2-3, have the illegal item remove and give the kid his FT.

He'll miss it anyway.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point would be the original noise was a artificial noise maker. None of yours were artificial. that would be a difference for me to lean twords(?) giving the guy another shot
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:49pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
My point would be the original noise was a artificial noise maker. None of yours were artificial. that would be a difference for me to lean towards(?) giving the guy another shot
Got it.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Got it.
THanks. I never won any spelling bees
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As you have written, disconcertion is not the proper call. A team technical foul per 2-8-1 is supported by the book.

RULE 2, SECTION 8 OFFICIALS’ ADDITIONAL DUTIES
The officials shall:
ART. 1 . . . Penalize unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team
attendant or follower.
NOTE: The home management or game committee is responsible for spectator behavior,
insofar as it can reasonably be expected to control the spectators. The officials may call
fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper
conduct of the game.
Discretion must be used in calling such fouls, however, lest a team
be unjustly penalized. When team supporters become unruly or interfere with the orderly
progress of the game, the officials shall stop the game until the host management
resolves the situation and the game can proceed in an orderly manner. In the absence of
a designated school representative, the home coach shall serve as the host management.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
My point would be the original noise was a artificial noise maker. None of yours were artificial. that would be a difference for me to lean twords(?) giving the guy another shot
My point is that the artificial noisemaker is no more likely to disrupt the shot than a naturally produced noise at the proper time. I see the call as a T or nothing. I see no way to award another free throw.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

If you can make the same sounds, save yourself the money and don't buy the ILLEGAL item and bring it to a game. There is no rule against makin noise, just artificialy. I think we are saying the same thing. We cannot give another shot per rule.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 06:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Once, I had a coach jokingly ask me to call disconcertion when an opposing player along the free throw line loudly passed gas just when his player was taking his shot. The shot missed. I jokingly told the coach I could call it only if the player used an artificial noisemaker, but that they couldn't pay me enough to check.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

What's the ruling concerning yelling things when in the process of shooting free throws?

Last night during the Girls' Varsity game, whenever the home team was shooting free throws, the visitors' JV Girls watching as spectators were yelling various things while the home player was in the process of shooting free throws. Could this be considered disconcertion?

I'm asking this as a two-sided question, what would a floor official do in that situation? What should game management/crowd control do in that situation?