The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Around the Horn

I am a pitching instructor and this year is my first coaching a U16 travel team (PONY). Last week we started teaching the girls to throw the ball around the horn on strike outs or put outs in the infield (no one on base) and it was brough into guestion by someone that is was no legal in according to PONY and ASA. We are using 2 to 3 to 6 to 4 to 5 back to 3 then to the pitcher? Is this allowed?
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I cannot answer for PONY; have no knowledge whatsoever. I can address NFHS and ASA.

There is no specific rules basis to allow or disallow a team from throwing the ball around, nor is there any specific rules basis to allow or disallow the infield to come to the circle to congratulate the pitcher or team. What there is, is a continuing and growing emphasis to stop the unnecessary and often ridiculous delays in playing the game, where 1-0 7 inning games that should play in 1:15 to 1:20 are taking 1:45 to 2:00; or where time limits of 1:20 or 1:30 are only playing 4 or 5 innings.

In the NCAA, the coaches are determined to make every game 2:00 or longer, and we have no control over stoppages; we are forced to wait, in almost every case. The NFHS has "no huddle" rules, but they don't apply to throwing the ball around the horn after an out, and if players meet and touch/slap/dance/kick/wiggle, one by one, that isn't a huddle, by definition. NFHS also emphasizes the "20 second" rule, where the pitcher must begin a pitch within 20 seconds of receiving the ball; this has limited teeth, in that a defens ethrowing the ball around hasn't gotten it to the pitcher to start the count, and if they want to congregate and congratulate, they only need to not give the ball to the pitcher, yet. ASA doesn't address huddles in the rules; it is a matter of game management by the umpires who are empowered to keep the game moving.

So, what is legal? Almost anything that doesn't violate a "no huddle" rule (more than two players and/or coaches meeting anywhere on the field, in NFHS only) or the 20 second rule (in everything). What is acceptable? Depends on the umpire that day; some don't seem to care if you only play 4 innings, particularly if the teams don't seem to care, some are OOO, who yell at the girls from start to end. Here's my personal approach, and what I teach (and preach):

The game needs to be played with some reasonable tempo; no part of the game should be delayed or rushed by another part. There should be a reasonable balance between offense getting ready, defense getting ready, and umpires getting ready. One minute between innings is a good start; in 90% of the cases, all three parts could and should be ready to start the next inning 60 seconds after the third out is made; there are times you may have to wait a bit longer. But, you shouldn't have a 40 second wait for the catcher, then all 5 warmup pitchs with 10 second delays after each, then a throw-down to second, then throw it around, then a time conference/huddle/slap/dance/kick, then a batter stepping out of the box before the first pitch. As a plate umpire, I will attempt to shorten each half inning successively by refusing whatever I have to, to get them ready to start the next half inning somewhere around the 60 second mark.

So, if the pitcher and catcher hustle out, take 3, throw it down without me saying anything, and they throw it ariund and slap quickly enough that they are already breaking up as I stand up from sweeping the plate, and the first batter is still approaching the plate, I have no problem with throwing it around, or that quick get-together. If I turn around after sweeping, and batter and I are both waiting, then I will shorten or disallow it next time.

The batter waiting for signals, the pitcher waiting for signs from the catcher who is waiting for the coach who is waiting for the batter, or whomever wants to play that game; not me. I am not stopping batters from getting signals, I am not stopping coaches from calling pitches that the catcher only relays. But, no matter who, no matter if batter or offensive coach, or pitcher, catcher, or defensive coach, I expect and require everyone to be ready to start the next pitch in a reasonable cadence; like within a maximum of 10 seconds after the ball is sent directly back to the pitcher from the last pitch. Neither team has the right to "freeze" the other, or whatever excuse the coach wants to use to make the other team (and the umpires) wait on them, and I will not allow it. If I have to call it an illegal pitch (it is, by rule, if the pitcher delays more than 20 seconds), I will; if I have to call an automatic strike on a batter, I will. Whatever it takes to send the message that we are playing softball, not "control" games.

The same principle in your original question, throwing it around after an out. If the team handles it quickly, the next batter is just getting to the plate, and no one is waiting, I have no issue. If it is prolonged, or if they throw it away (yes, it happens sometimes; I usually allow one such flub, if it happens a second time, no more throwing it around) continuously, or after that still want to congregate, or generally delay the game, I will stop it from happening. Not because it is illegal; just game management.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

From an ASA perspective, the only rule relating to this specific activity is 6-7-B. The rule reads, in part, "The catcher shall return the ball directly to the pitcher after each pitch, except after a strikeout, a put out or an attempted put out made by the catcher."

So, going "around the horn" is not only legal in the circumstances you asked about, the written rule goes as far as spelling out those particular circumstances. I think that "rules myths" such as this get started when someone not familiar with the rules reads the first part of the rule, but fails to grasp the nuances of the "exceptions" that follow.

Aside from the game management issues and possible game delays that Steve already covered, if I'm working a game under straight ASA rules I am allowing this.

A possible exception would be for local league play, or non-qualifying tournaments where the directors are free to modify the rules as they wish. In those cases, it is not uncommon for thowing the ball around to be banned as a perceived time saving measure. If that is the case, then the modification should be communicated to the coaches prior to the games.

PONY? Can't say. They used to make their rules accessible on-line for free, but now require a charge to download them in a PDF format. Since I don't work any PONY games, I'm not interested in doing that.