The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Air Horn! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55675-air-horn.html)

Clark Kent Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:51pm

Air Horn!

BV game and early in the first period we are shooting the second free throw and just before the visiting team releases the ft an air horn goes off. He misses the shot, and next dead ball we stop play and my partner goes over with someone from game management and demand it. He threatened their team with a T is they didn't get it out of the crowd....a few of the football players on the front row turned around and magically made it appear!

My only question is would any of you have upon the rebound of the FT by the home team have stopped play? or was waiting for the dead ball the appropriate thing to do?

BillyMac Sat Dec 05, 2009 01:02pm

Probably Not A Popular Call On The Forum ...

This is not by the rule book, I have no citations, and a lot of Forum members are going to give me a hard time regarding my answer, but here it is. If I deem that the air horn caused the shooter to miss, I'm calling it disconcertion, and I'm giving the visitors another free throw. Yes, I know that the rule states that no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower, and I know that fans are not opponents, but this was an unsporting act, and I'm going to use common sense and use 2-3.

OK guys. I'm ready. Give me your best shot.

just another ref Sat Dec 05, 2009 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 639892)
This is not by the rule book, I have no citations, and a lot of Forum members are going to give me a hard time regarding my answer, but here it is. If I deem that the air horn caused the shooter to miss, I'm calling it disconcertion, and I'm giving the visitors another free throw. Yes, I know that the rule states that no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower, and I know that fans are not opponents, but this was an unsporting act, and I'm going to use common sense and use 2-3.

I don't think you can go there. What's the difference between the horn and a loud, shrill, piercing scream, or whistle, or whatever?

tjones1 Sat Dec 05, 2009 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 639899)
I don't think you can go there. What's the difference between the horn and a loud, shrill piercing scream, <s>or whistle</s>, or whatever isn't artificial?

There, fixed it for ya! ;)

just another ref Sat Dec 05, 2009 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 639900)
There, fixed it for ya! ;)

Some people can whistle really loud without using anything artificial.

tjones1 Sat Dec 05, 2009 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 639904)

LOL DUH!!!!!!!!!!! Narrow minded....for some reason I was only thinking of a good old Fox 40 or old metal pea whistle in the crowd.

Good point... my fault. :)

BktBallRef Sat Dec 05, 2009 03:26pm

Quote:

I have no problem with killing the play and giving the shooter another FT. But it has nothing to do with disconcertion. As you stated, fans can't be called for disconcertion. Use 2-3, have the illegal item remove and give the kid his FT.

He'll miss it anyway. :)

AKOFL Sat Dec 05, 2009 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 639904)

My point would be the original noise was a artificial noise maker. None of yours were artificial. that would be a difference for me to lean twords(?) giving the guy another shot

tjones1 Sat Dec 05, 2009 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 639919)
My point would be the original noise was a artificial noise maker. None of yours were artificial. that would be a difference for me to lean towards(?) giving the guy another shot

Got it.

AKOFL Sat Dec 05, 2009 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 639923)
Got it.

THanks. I never won any spelling bees:p

Nevadaref Sat Dec 05, 2009 04:01pm

Quote:

As you have written, disconcertion is not the proper call. A team technical foul per 2-8-1 is supported by the book.

RULE 2, SECTION 8 OFFICIALS’ ADDITIONAL DUTIES
The officials shall:
ART. 1 . . . Penalize unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team
attendant or follower.
NOTE: The home management or game committee is responsible for spectator behavior,
insofar as it can reasonably be expected to control the spectators. The officials may call
fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper
conduct of the game.
Discretion must be used in calling such fouls, however, lest a team
be unjustly penalized. When team supporters become unruly or interfere with the orderly
progress of the game, the officials shall stop the game until the host management
resolves the situation and the game can proceed in an orderly manner. In the absence of
a designated school representative, the home coach shall serve as the host management.

just another ref Sat Dec 05, 2009 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 639919)
My point would be the original noise was a artificial noise maker. None of yours were artificial. that would be a difference for me to lean twords(?) giving the guy another shot

My point is that the artificial noisemaker is no more likely to disrupt the shot than a naturally produced noise at the proper time. I see the call as a T or nothing. I see no way to award another free throw.

AKOFL Sat Dec 05, 2009 04:22pm

If you can make the same sounds, save yourself the money and don't buy the ILLEGAL item and bring it to a game. There is no rule against makin noise, just artificialy. I think we are saying the same thing.:) We cannot give another shot per rule.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 05, 2009 06:52pm

Once, I had a coach jokingly ask me to call disconcertion when an opposing player along the free throw line loudly passed gas just when his player was taking his shot. The shot missed. I jokingly told the coach I could call it only if the player used an artificial noisemaker, but that they couldn't pay me enough to check. :D

chseagle Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58pm

What's the ruling concerning yelling things when in the process of shooting free throws?

Last night during the Girls' Varsity game, whenever the home team was shooting free throws, the visitors' JV Girls watching as spectators were yelling various things while the home player was in the process of shooting free throws. Could this be considered disconcertion?

I'm asking this as a two-sided question, what would a floor official do in that situation? What should game management/crowd control do in that situation?