The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

point of emphasis traveling

I don't know if my antenna is up because of recent POE, but it seems like I'm noticing more traveling than I ever have. My area of concentration this season is to be focusing more on a player receiving and in possession of the ball taking two steps. Watched a GV game last night and in one possession as the ball was being rotated several times, clearly saw four travel violations. They receive the pass, establish pivot, move non pivot foot, then pivot, all with in a second or so time frame.

That said, watching recent ACC/BIG TEN Challenge, I saw the same violation plus other numerous traveling situations. Mostly however when player in possession was not being closely guarded.

My question is do our D1 brethern pass on these calls when there is no or little pressure, especially at the point, as there is no real advantage/disadvantage? If so, would you only call it if egregious?

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Dec 04, 2009 at 10:26am.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I don't know if my attenna is up because of POE, but it seems like I'm noticing more traveling than I ever have. I seem to be focusing more on a player receiving and in possesion of the ball taking two steps. Watched a GV game last night and in one possesion as the ball was being rotated several times, clearly saw four travel violations. They receive the pass, establish pivot, move non pivot foot, then pivot, all with in a second or so time frame.

That said, watching recent ACC/BIG TEN Challenge, I saw the same violation plus other numerous traveling situations. Mostly however when player in possession was not being closely guarded.

My question is do our D1 brethern pass on these calls as there is no real advantage/disadvantage? If so, would you only call it if egregious?
I cant speak for D1 officials, but I know that traveling is kind of a weak spot for me. I have set a goal this year to do a better job at making sure the player has control of the ball and then has established a pivot. We often times do it the other way around and call travels when the player hasnt gained control of the ball yet. It is a POI in the NCAA. Just my 2 cents.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They receive the pass, establish pivot, move non pivot foot, then pivot, all with in a second or so time frame.

My question is do our D1 brethern pass on these calls when there is no or little pressure, especially at the point, as there is no real advantage/disadvantage? If so, would you only call it if egregious?
Traveling is definitely an area on which I need to improve. I'm having a hard time picking it up as I'm trying not to be a ball watcher.

Do any of our vets have tips on how to be better on this?
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 12:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Traveling is definitely an area on which I need to improve. I'm having a hard time picking it up as I'm trying not to be a ball watcher.

Traveling and ball watching are two totally different things.

This POE was drilled into our heads during summer and fall ball.

BOTTOM LINE: When the ball comes to the player in your immediately identify their pivot foot......and what they can and can not do.

Took me a while and I'm probably not "there" yet either - but, I'm better. An area I need to continuously work.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Gosh, if it's in your primary, I hope your watching
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:22pm
We don't rent pigs

This may be part of the problem. Traveling, particularly by a post player, is often easier to see from farther away. It is not unusual for a travel to be seen by everybody except the official with the ball in his primary.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gosh, if it's in your primary, I hope your watching
Perhaps I misspoke. I am trying to officiate all of the action in my primary and not simply ball watch. I do pick up the player with the ball and try to officiate the defense. The traveling I have been told I'm missing is when a player catches the ball, establishes the pivot foot and moves that foot before releasing the dribble.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 01:49pm
In Time Out

and don't call a travel when a player makes a fast move or a good/unusual post move unless it is. I've seen too many of those called. for me too many refs call a travel because IT looks like a travel.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Correctly calling traveling is just damn hard. My pet peeve is the inconsistency in calling obvious travels such as a hop (not a jump stop) before a jump shot, taking 2 steps back to position for a three and stepping after a jump stop. Getting these calls right is more a matter of officiating will rather than officiating skill.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This may be part of the problem. Traveling, particularly by a post player, is often easier to see from farther away. It is not unusual for a travel to be seen by everybody except the official with the ball in his primary.
How true that one is.....I'm Lead. Team whipping passes around the 3 point arc, Comes into my primary ,as I start to turn to get on the ball, 2 post players start going at it. So understandably my attention is diverted and apparently we had a big old travel. Partner saw it but thought I had a reason for passing on it, so he passed. I told him I passed cause I didn't see it.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
True of course, my reference in OP was primarily point or perimiter situations. Especially with no pressure.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps I misspoke. I am trying to officiate all of the action in my primary and not simply ball watch. I do pick up the player with the ball and try to officiate the defense. The traveling I have been told I'm missing is when a player catches the ball, establishes the pivot foot and moves that foot before releasing the dribble.
Yep, that be the one...........
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
and don't call a travel when a player makes a fast move or a good/unusual post move unless it is. I've seen too many of those called. for me too many refs call a travel because IT looks like a travel.
If it looks like a duck, walks like duck, quacks like duck..............
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
How true that one is.....I'm Lead. Team whipping passes around the 3 point arc, Comes into my primary ,as I start to turn to get on the ball, 2 post players start going at it. So understandably my attention is diverted and apparently we had a big old travel. Partner saw it but thought I had a reason for passing on it, so he passed. I told him I passed cause I didn't see it.
I'm lead, and there is post play, I'm looking upstairs. I expect my partners to grab the travels.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 07:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Oh I don't know. If it looks like a travel to me, it's a travel.