The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Not only do they undercut the shooter, but sometimes they will extend their arms around each side of the shooter basically boxing them in. If the shooter even attempts to move around them, I got a hold.
Why not simply use your voice and inform the player to "knock it off" and that "we won't have that tonight"?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slightly Off Topic, But I'm Dying to Ask ???

Here in The Constitution State, the act of positioning one's self such that they are between the basket, and another player, so as to increase the probability that they will gain possession of a rebound, is called boxing out.

Yet, as in the title of this thread, I hear people from other parts of the country use the term blocking out to mean the same thing. Is this a local thing, or a regional thing?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in The Constitution State, the act of positioning one's self such that they are between the basket, and another player, so as to increase the probability that they will gain possession of a rebound, is called boxing out.

Yet, as in the title of this thread, I hear people from other parts of the country use the term blocking out to mean the same thing. Is this a local thing, or a regional thing?
To me "boxing out" means putting a body on someone, not just obtaining a superior position on the floor.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:57pm
We don't rent pigs

I know one thing about the term "blocking out". (along with posting up) More than one coach thinks it gives his player a license to bulldoze.

Body goes flying. Whistle. Coach: WHAT?? He was just blocking out!!

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

I used the term "box out" for a long time. About 15 - 20 years ago, a varsity coach that I assisted used the term "block out" for the same act as "boxing out."

While some of the posters here have implied something sinister or illegal, it is simply the act of getting/staying between the basket (and eventually, the ball) and the opponent. Generally defensive players "box out", but offensive players can "box out" if they are able to get inside position -- frequently when the defense is playing a zone defense.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I used the term "box out" for a long time. About 15 - 20 years ago, a varsity coach that I assisted used the term "block out" for the same act as "boxing out."

While some of the posters here have implied something sinister or illegal, it is simply the act of getting/staying between the basket (and eventually, the ball) and the opponent. Generally defensive players "box out", but offensive players can "box out" if they are able to get inside position -- frequently when the defense is playing a zone defense.
Coach, our comments regarding blocking out were meant to be rather tongue in cheek. Whatever it's called in your locale, the concept as you present it (and as it is executed 99% of the time) is obviously legal. But we've all seen situations where an overly aggressive box out displaces the opponent by several feet, or knocks him to the ground, or puts him into the third row. And sometimes the coach will respond to the foul call with a heartfelt claim that, "He was just boxing out."

I don't think anyone meant to imply any aspect of this is sinister. I believe they meant to imply that the coach's response is completely idiotic.

When this happens in my games, usually in lower level games, the coach has blown all credibility with me. And if the coach's delivery is aggressive, his leash for the rest of the night can be measured in microns.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2009, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Coach, our comments regarding blocking out were meant to be rather tongue in cheek. Whatever it's called in your locale, the concept as you present it (and as it is executed 99% of the time) is obviously legal. But we've all seen situations where an overly aggressive box out displaces the opponent by several feet, or knocks him to the ground, or puts him into the third row. And sometimes the coach will respond to the foul call with a heartfelt claim that, "He was just boxing out."

I don't think anyone meant to imply any aspect of this is sinister. I believe they meant to imply that the coach's response is completely idiotic.

When this happens in my games, usually in lower level games, the coach has blown all credibility with me. And if the coach's delivery is aggressive, his leash for the rest of the night can be measured in microns.
What you describe here is simple displacement, of course. This is not a "box out", but rather a push to gain more space to secure a rebound. Since MANY referees do not call this very frequently, coaches have taught their players to displace as a habit.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

What I quite clearly described was "an overly aggressive box out displaces the opponent by several feet, or knocks him to the ground, or puts him into the third row." If you wish to label that "simple displacement," then by all means do so. But if we're picturing the same activity, your sense of scale is calibrated very differently from mine.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had three of these in a row on the same girl once; we called them all and she walked off the court crying after injuring a shooter. It was almost surreal. We'd called her on it once, then did it again on the next shot putting them into the bonus. Offense rebounded the free throw and she did it to that shooter. It was not "simple" displacement, and this particular play is one that you just don't see missed by an official.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Never Mind" (Emily Litella)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
She walked off the court crying.
I thought that Tom Hanks' character in "League of Their Own" said there was "no crying in basketball"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 28, 2009, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I have had the same situations on where is the shooter is located. ,Most of the time it is after the shooter comes down, and there is lot of displacement when the defender is trying to BOX out. I just call the foul right away, while going table side I now will go talk to the coach and tell him what is happening out on the floor,only if there is any questions. By the way people it is now 4 years side my loader escapdes, and I'm still using it, not sweating as much!!!