View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Just finished my first boys JV game of the year. All went well, but I have a question.

On most of the three point shots put up by one team, the defending team would turn around, reach back with one hand to find the shooter, and then aggressively block out the shooter. Sometimes it was so quick that they would step under the airborne shooter, but most of the time they would catch the shooter just after landing.

It was generally too mild for a whistle, and it had clearly been coached. It made me wonder if it is an intimidation technique- make the shooter think about the landing instead of the shot.

Anybody else seen this?
Anytime you have players regularly undercutting an opposing player -- even if "mild" -- you regularly have a foul, in my opinion. Did the shooters regularly end up back further from the basket than when they landed? If so, this could likely be a displacement foul by the defense.

As a coach, we worked extremely hard on boxing out -- not, boxing out hard, but rather working hard to box out on every shot. In all my years of coaching (well over 25), I rarely ever had a player penalized for "boxing out." However, opposing players (and our players) could regularly get away with contact from the back on rebounds (frequently called "over the back" by parents and coaches). Therefore, a good solid box out was critical to our success.

Based on your description, you seem to have noticed behavior that, while taught, quite possibly was not within the spirit of the rules. While there may be a fine line in this case. My guess is that a team was permitted to get away with getting very physical on rebounds without penalty. But, in fairness, I was not there.