The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

I believe the T would go to the home team. They visiting team would be the one that was accommodating to not have confusion.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I believe the T would go to the home team. They visiting team would be the one that was accommodating to not have confusion.

Peace
That ain't part of the rule.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
That ain't part of the rule.
Well it is also not apart of the rule to allow teams to wear contrasting uniforms after this situation, but that is what we would do and many would allow. The rule puts the onus on the home team in my opinion. If the home team does not wear white, they are going to be held responsible in my eyes. If the visiting team wore white or uniform to specifically contrast with the home team wearing a non-white uniform, I am not giving the home team only a T. And there is no case play that addresses the situation specifically and if anything this falls on Rule 2-3. You do not have to like it, because it is my opinion and that is what I am going to do. You can do what you like when you are in that situation.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

double T, sit both coaches and toss up the ball. Thats a win, win, all the way around
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 06:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
double T, sit both coaches and toss up the ball. Thats a win, win, all the way around
I just need to verify that this goes to the coach.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

consider it verified. I found it in the T chart in the back of the rule book
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 09:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

10 Shots Excessive, 2 Shots Fair ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Wasn't one of the reasons for us issuing the T because schools have had five years to take care of this?
And, last year, didn't we change it from five technical fouls, for the five starters, to one technical foul to cover the entire team for the whole game, so we didn't have to shoot ten technical free throws to start the game. Ten shots may be an excessive way to start the game, two shots isn't excessive, so unless the team has some written documentation from the state association, we're starting with a a technical foul penalty, and I'm calling my commissioner as soon as I can get to my cell phone.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I just need to verify that this goes to the coach.
NFHS 3-4-1c "The torso color shall be white for the home team and a contrasting dark color for the visiting team."

NFHS 10-5-4 "The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform (see 3-4)."
PENALTY: (Section 5) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. The foul is charged directly to the head coach. (Art. 4) Penalized when discovered. Only one technical foul is charged regardless of the number of offenders.

That work for you?
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And, last year, didn't we change it from five technical fouls, for the five starters, to one technical foul to cover the entire team for the whole game, so we didn't have to shoot ten technical free throws to start the game. Ten shots may be an excessive way to start the game, two shots isn't excessive, so unless the team has some written documentation from the state association, we're starting with a a technical foul penalty, and I'm calling my commissioner as soon as I can get to my cell phone.
Acutally, you'll not be shooting any as both teams are in violation of the uniform rule at the same time and you don't shoot double T's.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

So some of you and going to T up the team for not wearing something that they do not have? The schools have it worked out.... its early in the season - probably the first game... it was a mistake from the supplier.... I know what they letter of the rules states, but I also know that we interpret those rules on every call we make every tome we blow the whistle. We've all let a lot of possible T's go uncalled for a lot of reasons. I'm not going to T this up.
What if this was a tourney and we had this situation because of only available clean uniforms? A T reaks too much of the fashion police on this one for me. Start the game without the T. Play it. Notify it. If the state association is unhappy, they'll tell me.

Last edited by refnrev; Tue Nov 17, 2009 at 01:12am.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 07:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Hope That They Don't Show Up In Same Color ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Acutally, you'll not be shooting any as both teams are in violation of the uniform rule at the same time and you don't shoot double T's.
Thanks. Good catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
What if this was a tourney and we had this situation because of only available clean uniforms?
A tournament could be a different story. Like a mixup on who's the home and visiting team that night on a neutral court.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 10:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
So some of you and going to T up the team for not wearing something that they do not have? The schools have it worked out.... its early in the season - probably the first game... it was a mistake from the supplier.... I know what they letter of the rules states, but I also know that we interpret those rules on every call we make every tome we blow the whistle. We've all let a lot of possible T's go uncalled for a lot of reasons. I'm not going to T this up.
What if this was a tourney and we had this situation because of only available clean uniforms? A T reaks too much of the fashion police on this one for me. Start the game without the T. Play it. Notify it. If the state association is unhappy, they'll tell me.
Here in VA the rule doesn't apply for tournaments. Also here in VA the schools are directed by the VHSL to notify the VHSL if they have such a uniform problem as stated by the OP. This has been clearly stated to officials and school representatives at each of the mandatory state rules clinics for at least the last 2 years. How about the AD properly doing their jobs and we wouldn't have to deal with it as officials?
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Just play the game

The AD took care of the problem, both teams were OK with it. Just throw up the ball and PLAY THE GAME!!!! You rulebook fanatics have no common sense. You are officiating a basketball game not performing heart surgery. This is a non issue just move on.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:27am
Eschew obfuscation.

Don't us officials have the power to make decisions on any point not specifically covered in the rules? Just wondering if that would be one of those cases?
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
Don't us officials have the power to make decisions on any point not specifically covered in the rules? Just wondering if that would be one of those cases?
The problem is, it is specifically covered in the rules -- as cited above. The issue becomes, do you enforce the rule?