The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fifth And Goal
Had a new situation on Friday night. Boys varsity contest b/w two small private Christian schools. Very "chippy" from the get-go, double bonus both ways halfway through the first quarter. Visiting team is blowing out home team in 3rd quarter (by 30 points) and still running a full court press. And I T-d up the visitor's center for taunting in the 2nd quarter.

I am Trail (in 2-whistle crew), and the ball is tipped. Two players go after it, some contact, but no advantage gained by either player. Home team point guard gets feet tangled with opponent and goes down hard. Visiting team scores quick layup, and as soon as the play is over, we stop play so the home team point guard can be assisted. However, the gym is going beserk. One of the home team players comes off the bench and gets in my partner's face, so he whacks him. Then the home team coach decides to pull his team off the floor and heads to the locker room. We say, no problem, game over, and we hit the road.

Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 11:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

And the best part is - you still get paid!
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

What a surprise that the team that was behind is the one who walked off the floor. Not. Pretty easy to quit when you are getting your butt kicked. L-O-S-E-R.

Z
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Since I am a newbie, can you walk me through this.

Lets say score is 70-40 when the home team walks off the floor (home team is down, per the example).

The game is forfeit by the R's decision when the home team refuses to take the court and resume play, right?

And the final score is listed as 70-40 since it was the loser that caused the forfeit. Had it been the winner that forfeited it would have been recorded 2-0 in favor of the then losing team (now the winning team by forfeit).

Is that right?

And is there any impact on either the head coach or the players as a result of this action?

Clark
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Clark,
You are correct on the rules and the final score. Since I am also in Nevada, I can tell you that the NIAA decided last season that a coach who pulls his team off the floor will be suspended for one game.

BTW, the kid who left the bench should be charged with a flagrant technical foul and he would sit the next game too, under our state rules.

Finally, I should add that in NV any team which has three or more participants leave the bench automatically forfeits the game. If both teams do this it is a double forfeit.
Don't even bother to shoot any FTs, just end the game and get out of there.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fifth And Goal
More on forfeit

The score was 69-37 in favor of the visitors when the game was called.

I took this assignment as a favor to an assignor from another association who needed someone to fill in on Friday night, so I'm not sure what will happen to the coach. My association just does Georgia High School Association ball, but this game was under the authority of the Georgia Independent School Association.