The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Home team scorer

Whats the penalty when either team doesn't have a scorer at the table for start of game? By the way, later noticed scorer was sitting on bench as game started. Penalty?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

There's no penalty for not having a scorer - just don't start the game and let game management deal with it. You're not there to try and recruit volunteers.

For perception's sake we need to have a neutral scorer, at least by ability and position. Have them sit equidistant from and between the benches. If they don't like that, politely remind them why this is required. If they still don't like that, let game management know along with the opposing coach.

They can fight it out if a score keeper doesn't wish to sit in the proper place. You could always assign a new person to be the official scorer who will sit in the proper place.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
Whats the penalty when either team doesn't have a scorer at the table for start of game? By the way, later noticed scorer was sitting on bench as game started. Penalty?
Official book is home team book at the table. The solution to this is easy he sits at the table or the visiting team sitting at the scoreres table now has the official book
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's the "penalty" for not having a scorer at the table to start the game. You start the clock and just stand there until a scorer appears.

Believe me - it works every time.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The R in my varsity girls game last Saturday morning appointed the visitor as the official scorer since the home scorer wasn't there yet.

I was R for the boys game, and home scorer was laughing about it. "I'm here." Went over rule changes, and she said the game before that was the first time she'd heard about it.

Nice, I know it's early in the season, but some official should have told her about it before that.