The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 11:45am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
With power and control comes the irresistible urge to change things. Besides, if the two sides ever really converged completely, one bureaucracy would be redundant. And that is a situation too frightening to contemplate.
Yeah, yeah, but the girls union would always have bowling, volleyball, and softball.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 11:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
With power and control comes the irresistible urge to change things. Besides, if the two sides ever really converged completely, one bureaucracy would be redundant. And that is a situation too frightening to contemplate.
There were a lot of rules for a few years that were hold-overs from the six-player era. A few years ago, they started drifting towards conformity; even going as far as removing the coaching box adaptation and moving the girls back down on the free throw lane (funny in hind sight).

Since there are other sports involved, I doubt they'll ever consolidate the state level organizations. I'm not sure how many other states have separate governing bodies for girls verses boys, either.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There were a lot of rules for a few years that were hold-overs from the six-player era. A few years ago, they started drifting towards conformity; even going as far as removing the coaching box adaptation and moving the girls back down on the free throw lane (funny in hind sight).

Since there are other sports involved, I doubt they'll ever consolidate the state level organizations. I'm not sure how many other states have separate governing bodies for girls verses boys, either.
I am not aware of any other states that operate this way. The only thing remotely similar I've heard of was when Michigan (Minnesota?) ran boys and girls basketball seasons separately. If there are other states that operate with separate boys and girls organizations, I think we'd have heard about it here. And for all the same reasons we've heard about Iowa.

Speaking of the Michigan controversy, I'm surprised nobody in Iowa has gone berserk over having separate organizations for boys and girls sports. Surely somebody trouble maker is going to argue that it's some kind of Title IX violation, and that "separate but equal" is not only illegal but unconstitutional. I'm not arguing for that to happen, just surprised that it hasn't.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I believe Washington has separate governing organizations, but I'm not positive about that. I was told back in the early 90's that Iowa was the only state that did so, but a friend in WA said were similarly divided.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Yeah, yeah, but the girls union would always have bowling, volleyball, and softball.
Boys have bowling still

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

It would be very nice for all the officials to have one association. It's a pain in the butt to remember to register with both associations/unions because the dates you can register are different (or at least have been in the past). I've heard of officials going through the entire basketball season, doing both girls and boys games, then getting to the end of the season and not getting a tourney game. After investigating the issue, they come to find out that they were never registered for the girls' union Opps!

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:37pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Boys have bowling still

-Josh
I didn't realize that till you mentioned it. Went on the IHSAA website and saw that. Interesting...so the only girls sports that doesn't have a "counterpart" at the boys association are softball and volleyball, right? Looking at both websites gives me a headache sometimes.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
All the girls in your state are in a union! So.....they have shop stewards observe what happens in the back seat at a drive-in to make sure there's no union violations?
To give a serious answer to an obviously unserious question, the governing bodies for Iowa high school athletics are the Iowa High School Athletic Association (boys) and the Iowa High School Girls Athletic Union (girls).
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:57pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
To give a serious answer to an obviously unserious question, the governing bodies for Iowa high school athletics are the Iowa High School Athletic Association (boys) and the Iowa High School Girls Athletic Union (girls).
Have you ever known Padgett to be serious?
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Have you ever known Padgett to be serious?
Negative Ghost Rider.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't realize that till you mentioned it. Went on the IHSAA website and saw that. Interesting...so the only girls sports that doesn't have a "counterpart" at the boys association are softball and volleyball, right? Looking at both websites gives me a headache sometimes.
I remembered that 9 years ago they did when I was still in high school. I didn't participate but I could probably tell some stories about a classmate who was known to bowl a heck of a lot better while inebriated. The bowling state tourney was a fun time for him from what I hear. Of course, I would have never participate in such high jinx as a youth (my parents would have whipped my butt). Anyways I digressed from the topic. That's why I checked to see if they still have bowling.

I believe the only non-equivalent sport is volleyball/football. Everything else is paired with an "equivalent sport" (baseball/softball, basketball/basketball, bowling/bowling, etc). Don't quote me on that though

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 03:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I remembered that 9 years ago they did when I was still in high school. I didn't participate but I could probably tell some stories about a classmate who was known to bowl a heck of a lot better while inebriated. The bowling state tourney was a fun time for him from what I hear. Of course, I would have never participate in such high jinx as a youth (my parents would have whipped my butt). Anyways I digressed from the topic. That's why I checked to see if they still have bowling.

I believe the only non-equivalent sport is volleyball/football. Everything else is paired with an "equivalent sport" (baseball/softball, basketball/basketball, bowling/bowling, etc). Don't quote me on that though

-Josh
You forget wrestling. You can't possibly have grown up in Iowa if you forgot wrestling.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You forget wrestling. You can't possibly have grown up in Iowa if you forgot wrestling.
Forgive me, for I have REALLY sinned. Wow, I think I'm going to go grab a 6 foot length of rope from the store after a mistake like that. My family has been shamed by their middle son.

(However, there are a few girls that do wrestle in HS (or so I've heard). I'm not talking about in the backseat of the caviler either)

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Forgive me, for I have REALLY sinned. Wow, I think I'm going to go grab a 6 foot length of rope from the store after a mistake like that. My family has been shamed by their middle son.

(However, there are a few girls that do wrestle in HS (or so I've heard). I'm not talking about in the backseat of the caviler either)

-Josh
There always have been a few, more than played football IIRC. Almost made me want to wrestle.

And don't worry, all middle sons shame their families. It's just part of the deal.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 05:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Girls basketball certainly has evolved

From my HS in 1961.