The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Iowa Girls Experimentation with two halves (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55010-iowa-girls-experimentation-two-halves.html)

buckrog64 Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:06am

Iowa Girls Experimentation with two halves

Thought this was interesting.......Adopted by the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union.

During the 2009-10 varsity basketball season, varsity teams may play two 16-minute halves during non-conference games with mutual agreement by both schools. Conferences may also agree to play two 16-minute halves in all conference games if the conference adopts the policy for the season. Please note that this experimental rule applies only to VARSITY contests and is NOT mandatory. However, if a conference votes to adopt the rule for its conference games, ALL conference schools must participate.

Raymond Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:07am

Just 2 less times-out per game.

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:11am

This will make for some screwy girls/boys doubleheaders.

tw1ns Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:14am

and two change of possessions.
I am not sure why they are trying this ....speed up the games?
Not giving us old guys one more break.

Adam Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 630820)

Not nearly as screwy as they used to be.

tw1ns Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 630820)

How will screw up the double header? Because the clock would be different? That is easy. Set it and go....
what was screwy was when the lane assignments on a free throw were different between girls and boys.....

Adam Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw1ns (Post 630824)
How will screw up the double header? Because the clock would be different? That is easy. Set it and go....
what was screwy was when the lane assignments on a free throw were different between girls and boys.....

Ask someone who has been officiating basketball in Iowa for roughly 20 years or so how a screwy double header looks.

jdmara Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckrog64 (Post 630815)
Thought this was interesting.......Adopted by the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union.

During the 2009-10 varsity basketball season, varsity teams may play two 16-minute halves during non-conference games with mutual agreement by both schools. Conferences may also agree to play two 16-minute halves in all conference games if the conference adopts the policy for the season. Please note that this experimental rule applies only to VARSITY contests and is NOT mandatory. However, if a conference votes to adopt the rule for its conference games, ALL conference schools must participate.

Yeah, I got that e-mail last night and just wondered when they made this decision. Seems like this is something that should have been included on the Girls' Rule Adaptation list. It should make some interesting situations I'm sure. I know that I will not remember which conferences adopt the policy so therefore I'll have to write it down. That's what I get for working multiple conferences. I have trouble remembering which teams are in which conferences :D I love it when the other officials are talking about conference standings and they ask me if I know about such-and-such's record. I typically look at them and say, "What class are they in?" I'm not a big stats guy. It just doesn't interest me, I'm there to officiate the game not recite stats.

-Josh

bbcof83 Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:41am

Minnesota moved away from quarters to two halves a couple years ago. I like it a lot. The flow of the game isn't interrupted those two extra times. However, for some God awful reason they added 2 minutes per half... so it's two 18 minute halves. I haven't yet heard a good explanation for this.

Rich Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02am

WI is allowing 16 minute halves for varsity non-conference if both coaches agree.

I hope this is one step from changing it for all games. 2 less last second shots and 2 less timeouts, what's not to like?

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw1ns (Post 630824)

Because there's ucking fidiot parents who will be screaming "why did you allow the girls to do that???" or "why didn't you let the girls do that?" The parents forget the fact there's two different associations and sometimes the girls' association likes to do something much different.

Adam Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 630860)
Because there's ucking fidiot parents who will be screaming "why did you allow the girls to do that???" or "why didn't you let the girls do that?" The parents forget the fact there's two different associations and sometimes the girls' association likes to do something much different.

Which makes this change funny, in my view, because I know the Girls Union had been moving in recent years towards fewer adaptations and more conformity with the Fed.

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 630861)
I know the Girls Union...............

All the girls in your state are in a union! :eek: So.....they have shop stewards observe what happens in the back seat at a drive-in to make sure there's no union violations?

Back In The Saddle Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:41am

Quote:

Which makes this change funny, in my view, because I know the Girls Union had been moving in recent years towards fewer adaptations and more conformity with the Fed.

With power and control comes the irresistible urge to change things. Besides, if the two sides ever really converged completely, one bureaucracy would be redundant. And that is a situation too frightening to contemplate. ;)

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:44am

Quote:

Yeah, and just when I thought they were getting closer...they pull the rug out from under me harder than my ex-wife did in court. :cool: