The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Question

Local YMCA legaue decided to use four 10 minute quarters rather than two 20 minute halves to let more kids play without having to use lots of substituions during play. I'm officiating a few games and overseeing and evaluating the kids on all the fields. I've never used this system before. How do you resume play in the 2nd and 4th periods? KO, GK, DB, Throw In from midfield? What's the procedure? Thanks for the information. RR
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Our local rec program uses quarters. The 2nd and 4th period of play is restarted by the proper restart resulting from however play was stopped "near" the "determined" time.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 01:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Local YMCA legaue decided to use four 10 minute quarters rather than two 20 minute halves to let more kids play without having to use lots of substituions during play. I'm officiating a few games and overseeing and evaluating the kids on all the fields. I've never used this system before. How do you resume play in the 2nd and 4th periods? KO, GK, DB, Throw In from midfield? What's the procedure? Thanks for the information. RR

If the YMCA league is using NFHS rules, the teams would change goals and the restart would be a kick off by the team would did not kick off to start the previous period.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Actually they use FIFA rules with exceptions to fit the ages age and local situation. They have been doing it the way that Ref2 was talking about, but I was looking to see how others did it. I probably wouldn't mind that way of doing it if the guy who implemented the system wasn't such a pompous and pouty jerk. He acts like such an idiot and has no people skills. He's the reason I had to give the new kids instructions on how to be polite and patient while listening to a fool.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Our Over-30, 40, and 50 leagues use quarters. The teams only switch ends at halftime, and the same team kicks off twice in the same half.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Some of our local junior high schools have used four quarters and I have reffed a few games. In the first few, they changed halves after each quarter and had same team KO for first two quarters and other team KO for second two quarters. I found it very confusing to officiate the game when they changed halves after each quarter, so I requested they only change at half time and they didn't have any issue with it. Made my life a bit easier.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCurrie
Our Over-30, 40, and 50 leagues use quarters. The teams only switch ends at halftime, and the same team kicks off twice in the same half.
Our local "Intructional" & "PreInstructional" [U8, near as I can tell] divisions use quarters: restarts are KO: AA/BB; switch goals at the half.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

This seems to be the norm. The leauges I've been working at the new compex nearby all use that format. Thanks for the info.