The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 25, 2000, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I don't know if any of you remember my post about using a double foul to bail yourself out. Well, the officials just used it in this game with about 4 min. left, and both coaches went nuts. I think at this stage of the tourney, the pressure is getting to the refs and they aren't performing up to normal standards. Any thoughts?
Old Sat Mar 25, 2000, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Man, I can't beleive that officals at that level in that big of a game can let that happen. Thats one of the last things that you go over in your pregame. Can you believe that Eustachy blew up like that with only 9.9 secs. left in the game. Man I thought that showed no class and I was even rooting for Iowa St.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

This is just what AlaskaRef was talking about in his post of yesterday--what are these officials thinking. I was in my car so I only heard it on the radio, but Kevin Grevey was shocked that this had happened not once, but twice within two weeks. And I do not think it has anything to do with egos, but a problem that is inherant within the 3-person system i.e. unlike two person where the lead will take any call coming toward him. In 3-person it is whose primary zone is it and this get officials into all kinds of problems.
And finally, I believe that these officials knowing that a similiar situation occurred just last week, felt that they had to follow the lead of their fellow officials and try to remain consistant on this double whistle. I do not agree with this thinking, but can understand why they did it. I am pretty sure that this was discussed in their pre-game conference.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2000, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I am really discusted with officials who are so inconsistent with their calling. Shirley is let's say 7 feet and was receiving a pass in the air with a slight lead to it, Bell new he couldn't get the ball and just threw his body in there without making an attempt on intercepting the ball. Isn't it true that the person receiving the ball should be given a chance to receive it disallowing defenders from undercutting them or blocking their rightful path to landing on 2 feet. So how could they dick that up? How could shirley be charged with a foul when he was attempting to catch the ball without given proper room to land? I think pressure is an understatement and integrity to correct oneself is 100% lacking. Selling the call he did but for what. Who gained the advantage on that one? MSU. ISU chance to reach the final 4 hinged on that mistake. I'm an official myself (3 years) and don't rely on games to feed my family so I would've bent for the proper call. Can anyone petition officials to be reprimanded for moments like that?
quote:
Originally posted by Matt S.:
Well, I don't know if any of you remember my post about using a double foul to bail yourself out. Well, the officials just used it in this game with about 4 min. left, and both coaches went nuts. I think at this stage of the tourney, the pressure is getting to the refs and they aren't performing up to normal standards. Any thoughts?