View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There were a lot of rules for a few years that were hold-overs from the six-player era. A few years ago, they started drifting towards conformity; even going as far as removing the coaching box adaptation and moving the girls back down on the free throw lane (funny in hind sight).

Since there are other sports involved, I doubt they'll ever consolidate the state level organizations. I'm not sure how many other states have separate governing bodies for girls verses boys, either.
I am not aware of any other states that operate this way. The only thing remotely similar I've heard of was when Michigan (Minnesota?) ran boys and girls basketball seasons separately. If there are other states that operate with separate boys and girls organizations, I think we'd have heard about it here. And for all the same reasons we've heard about Iowa.

Speaking of the Michigan controversy, I'm surprised nobody in Iowa has gone berserk over having separate organizations for boys and girls sports. Surely somebody trouble maker is going to argue that it's some kind of Title IX violation, and that "separate but equal" is not only illegal but unconstitutional. I'm not arguing for that to happen, just surprised that it hasn't.