The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

You can tell it's tournament time. Is anybody else on the floor of this game besides Ted Valentine carrying a whistle? After watching Big 10 basketball for years he still continues to amaze me how he takes over a game from an officiating position.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

It continues to amaze me how many officials are filled with jealousy and envy.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

I was at the game. I (without knowing who the officials were until I checked after the game) thought, "Boy, that same official seems to be making most of the calls and really drawing attention to himself." I won't speculate about the calls (from where I was, it was hard enough to see the ball), just my observation that he drew the attention of a neutral party sitting in the third-to-the-top row.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Hell, I was at the game too. I saw a lot of calls coming from each official. Donny Gray called a lot. So did the other guy (I am sorry I do not know his name). There were just a lot of calls in the game. The game was not very well played and every time a possession was had, the dribbler goes to the hoop regardless of how many defenders are near the basket.

Valentine was not the only official making calls. Not sure what game you were watching.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I think we can all agree that Ted Valentine is a very confident official. Some would say his confidence borders on cockiness. This is basically because he comes out so strong on so many calls and mechanics.

I believe Valentine used to be in the Marine Corps. This may be why he seems a little "stiff" with some things, because of years of doing things just so.

I'll say this. It must be working, because he sure does seem to get scheduled to work alot of big games. I'd trade places with him anytime.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 10:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have a question for those watching the ending of that game last night. With a little over a second left, Iowa's Brownlee got fouled and was going to the line for two shots. The officials hung around the table for a solid minute or minute and a half discussing something; presumably with Izzo. How was Izzo able to pull off the trick of icing Iowa's shooter without using a TO? Rut, could you tell from the stands?
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 11:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I have a question for those watching the ending of that game last night. With a little over a second left, Iowa's Brownlee got fouled and was going to the line for two shots. The officials hung around the table for a solid minute or minute and a half discussing something; presumably with Izzo. How was Izzo able to pull off the trick of icing Iowa's shooter without using a TO? Rut, could you tell from the stands?
I did not know what they were talking about. Not sure this was Izzo's doing for the delay. There have been a couple of times when there was some kind of delay at the table for some reason. This has happened at more than just that game.

And if players were getting "iced" for that, not sure how they handle any FT during the game. They changed the rule this year on when they take the TV timeouts. All FTs are shot after the TV timeouts now. That is a much longer break than what Izzo could have pulled. If that was a problem, then any game on TV could be a problem.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
I think we can all agree that Ted Valentine is a very confident official. Some would say his confidence borders on cockiness. This is basically because he comes out so strong on so many calls and mechanics.

I believe Valentine used to be in the Marine Corps. This may be why he seems a little "stiff" with some things, because of years of doing things just so.

I'll say this. It must be working, because he sure does seem to get scheduled to work alot of big games. I'd trade places with him anytime.
I didn't realize he had made up with the Big 10.

BTW, I met Teddy last summer at AAU Nationals. I was very surprised in that it was pretty quiet, laid back and kept to himself. he's not the monster people make him out to be.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 11:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I didn't realize he had made up with the Big 10.

BTW, I met Teddy last summer at AAU Nationals. I was very surprised in that it was pretty quiet, laid back and kept to himself. he's not the monster people make him out to be.
Teddy was only suspended for one year from the Big Ten. He has worked the Big Ten Tournament at least that last 4 years including 2005. He did not work it the years that Rucker was still officiating (at least from my memory).

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
You can tell it's tournament time. Is anybody else on the floor of this game besides Ted Valentine carrying a whistle? After watching Big 10 basketball for years he still continues to amaze me how he takes over a game from an officiating position.
You've held the delusion for 10 years that you know more than the assignors of major conferences who continue to use him in critical, high-profile games? Might I suggest some therapy sessions?

Z
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Assignors ?

"Zebraman" from the number of posts I see you have made I can conclude that you have been around long enough not to make out assignors as the smartest group of people you have ever known. I 've know some pretty smart people that have become assignors and they still assign games to people that have no business leaving their drive ways to officiate anything. And I far as needing some therapy sessions I cannot deny the consideration hasn't crossed my mind. Thanks
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: Assignors ?

Quote:
"Zebraman" from the number of posts I see you have made I can conclude that you have been around long enough not to make out assignors as the smartest group of people you have ever known. I 've know some pretty smart people that have become assignors and they still assign games to people that have no business leaving their drive ways to officiate anything. And I far as needing some therapy sessions I cannot deny the consideration hasn't crossed my mind. Thanks
There may be some college assignors who hire an official now and then who doesn't belong. However, college assignors are judged on their ability to hire and retain quality officials and they will get replaced if enough coaches and A.D.'s don't think they are doing a good job. College officiating contracts are year-to-year and it's pretty easy to drop an official that isn't doing the job. The fact that Valentine continues to get hired by several conference and continues to get tons of high-profile games every year means that a lot of knowledgable people think that he's in the top echelon.

Z
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Assignors ?

Quote:
If college officials do not do their job, they will not be around. This is not high school where you need people willing to go to a particular school. These guys get paid thousands of dollars a year to work games. They can make in a couple games what most of us make in a season working games. Millions of dollars are at stake if these individuals screw up. Better yet if the evaluators do not do their job, they will not be around. This is not small potatoes man. This is the big time. Valentine works 4 of the biggest conferences you can work (Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and Big East). He is on TV often. You do not get to that point with people thinking you cannot work games.

Peace