The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There always have been a few, more than played football IIRC. Almost made me want to wrestle.
Could not get a date otherwise?

Quote:
And don't worry, all middle sons shame their families. It's just part of the deal.
I've been saying that for years.

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
WI is allowing 16 minute halves for varsity non-conference if both coaches agree.

I hope this is one step from changing it for all games. 2 less last second shots and 2 less timeouts, what's not to like?
I believe this is exactly what the Iowa Girls are doing as well. Non-conference games, both coaches need to agree to it. I would be willing to bet that not one single varsity game I officiate this year will be played with the 16 minute halves option. Personally, I would prefer two halves instead of four quarters. Seems to work well for the college game and I think eliminating two breaks in the action would be a positive thing.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
I believe this is exactly what the Iowa Girls are doing as well. Non-conference games, both coaches need to agree to it. I would be willing to bet that not one single varsity game I officiate this year will be played with the 16 minute halves option. Personally, I would prefer two halves instead of four quarters. Seems to work well for the college game and I think eliminating two breaks in the action would be a positive thing.
I think you may see it in conference games where the competition is uneven (aka blow outs). Some teams might want to get the pain over with quicker. I am interested in seeing what conferences vote to use it (requiring it for conference varsity games).

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Can anyone else confirm/admit that I was not the only one who read the OP topic's first three words and got a bit too excited about this thread?

I mean, I figured somebody would have made an absolute lay up of a joke by page 3, but here I am!
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Negative Ghost Rider.
Had to look up 'ghost rider'. Which sense did you mean?
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 07:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Had to look up 'ghost rider'. Which sense did you mean?
None of the above.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

half-full

A parent friend tells me that Mass. went from halves back to quarters last year, mostly based on eligibility for players to "swing" between JV and V -- with halves, if the JV kid came up and would play only garbage time, they'd be ineligible if they had seen action in both halves of the JV game which means the kid is penalized for being promising enough to get a taste of V action

The effect is positive for the big girls whose stamina takes a beating...with a judicious substitution, a good coach can get them two-plus minutes of rest with little impact on the court at the end of Q1 going into Q2 and at the end of Q3 going intno Q4
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 08:32am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
A parent friend tells me that Mass. went from halves back to quarters last year, mostly based on eligibility for players to "swing" between JV and V -- with halves, if the JV kid came up and would play only garbage time, they'd be ineligible if they had seen action in both halves of the JV game which means the kid is penalized for being promising enough to get a taste of V action

The effect is positive for the big girls whose stamina takes a beating...with a judicious substitution, a good coach can get them two-plus minutes of rest with little impact on the court at the end of Q1 going into Q2 and at the end of Q3 going intno Q4
Hmmmm, now that you bring that up, I think I'll have to see how the halves impact such eligibility because how many games a girl plays in has been determined by how many quarters of a game they played in. Could make for some interesting messes in the JV/V doubleheaders.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ah, you omitted the comma. Makes more sense now.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Hmmmm, now that you bring that up, I think I'll have to see how the halves impact such eligibility because how many games a girl plays in has been determined by how many quarters of a game they played in. Could make for some interesting messes in the JV/V doubleheaders.
States permitting the option of halves instead of quarters need to rewrite their participation rules so that players may participate in 3 halves in a day instead of 5 or 6 quarters.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
States permitting the option of halves instead of quarters need to rewrite their participation rules so that players may participate in 3 halves in a day instead of 5 or 6 quarters.
Don't quote me but I believe that's exactly what MN did. That's the only logical way to handle it really.

Last edited by bbcof83; Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 10:34am.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 11:17am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
The only problem with that in Iowa is the halves can only be used in Varsity play. That's why I brought up the interesting scenario for JV/V doubleheaders. I'm still looking for an explanation of how that's handled.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 11:19am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
A reminder that each individual player has a 21-game season limitation. A student who plays 0-2 quarters in a day is charged with 0 games against this limitation. A student who plays in 3-6 quarters in a day is charged with 1 game against this limitation. A student who plays in 7-8 quarters in a day is charged with two games against this limitation. For implementation of this experimental rule, a player who plays in either the first half or the second half will be charged with 2 quarters. A player who plays in both halves will be charged with four quarters.
Found my answer on the Iowa girls association website. This was the paragraph below the OP quoted paragraph in their announcement of the experiment.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
The only problem with that in Iowa is the halves can only be used in Varsity play. That's why I brought up the interesting scenario for JV/V doubleheaders. I'm still looking for an explanation of how that's handled.
Not a problem. A half is still defined in sub-varsity ball, even if the clock runs quarters.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 12:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I believe Washington has separate governing organizations, but I'm not positive about that. I was told back in the early 90's that Iowa was the only state that did so, but a friend in WA said were similarly divided.
Nope...just one. The good old WIAA runs boys and girls stuff.