The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Clock correction?

At the start of OT, A4 catches the jump ball and drives for a quick lay up. The official notices the clock is at 2:55.

The clock:
a. Should be corrected to 4:00.
b. Should be corrected to 5:00.
c. Should be corrected to 3:55.
d. Should be corrected to 4:55.
e. Cannot be corrected.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

f. Shoot the R because they didn't notice the incorrect time before the OT started.

Well, after choosing (f), and assuming it's a varsity game with 8:00 minute quarters, reset the clock to 3:55 (because the OT should've started with 4:00, and you have definite knowledge 5 seconds elapsed), and work the rest of the game with one less partner...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 10:59pm
M.A.S.H.

What M&M said...

Also, check out 5.7.3
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 12:03am
certified Hot Mom tester

Before the OT started, the clock should have been set to 0:00.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 01:26am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
At the start of OT, A4 catches the jump ball and drives for a quick lay up. The official notices the clock is at 2:55.

The clock:
e. Cannot be corrected.
-----------------------------------------
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The clock:
e. Cannot be corrected.

A different official saw the error first and blew his whistle the second before A4 hits the layup.
Inadvertant whistle.
Put 3:56 on the clock.
A's ball OOB.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 06:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Idea tjones1, Let's Check It Out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Check out 5.7.3.
LENGTH OF EXTRA PERIOD INCORRECT
5.7.3 SITUATION: Following a violation in the first extra period, the timer beckons the referee to the table. The timer informs the referee that by mistake the period started with: (a) more; or (b) less than four minutes on the clock. RULING: In (a), if the mistake is discovered before the clock reaches four minutes, the clock shall be set at four minutes and play resumes. If discovered after reaching four minutes, no correction is allowed. In (b), the appropriate amount of time shall be added to reflect a four-minute period. (2-5-5)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
5.7.3 SITUATION: Following a violation in the first extra period, the timer beckons the referee to the table. The timer informs the referee that by mistake the period started with: (a) more; or (b) less than four minutes on the clock. RULING: In (a), if the mistake is discovered before the clock reaches four minutes, the clock shall be set at four minutes and play resumes. If discovered after reaching four minutes, no correction is allowed. In (b), the appropriate amount of time shall be added to reflect a four-minute period. (2-5-5)

I know that's the case. But, why is the procedure different in (a) than in (b)? In both cases, you (presumably) know how much time was on the clock at the start, so you can make the correct adjustment when the error was discovered.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
A different official saw the error first and blew his whistle the second before A4 hits the layup.
Inadvertant whistle.
Put 3:56 on the clock.
A's ball OOB.
Troublemaker.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I know that's the case. But, why is the procedure different in (a) than in (b)? In both cases, you (presumably) know how much time was on the clock at the start, so you can make the correct adjustment when the error was discovered.
If they were the same, what should happen if the time that had elapsed was longer than the number minutes that should have been in OT? Do you go back and figure out who was ahead the time it should have ended? Do you just declare the game over when discovered? Neither of those are likely to be the "right" way to fix this error.

Each team should have the benefit/burden of strategically playing from 4:00 on the clock, not starting with 8:00 (most likely of errors) and suddenly jumping to 0:30 after 3:30 had elapsed and someone realized this OT was taking a long time...changing their entire stragegy.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Sep 23, 2009 at 04:22pm.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If they were the same, what should happen if the time that had elapsed was longer than the number minutes that should have been in OT? Do you go back and figure out who was ahead the time it should have ended? Do you just declare the game over when discovered? Neither of those are likely to be the "right" way to fix this error.

Each team should have the benefit/burden strategically playing from 4:00 on the clock, not starting with 8:00 (most likely of errors) and suddenly jumping to 0:30 after 3:30 had elapsed and someone realized this OT was taking a long time...changing their entire stragegy.
The same (or maybe it's the opposite) happens if the clock is set at less than 4:00 and a team sets up for and makes (or misses) a "winning" shot at which time the error is discovered. The clock error affected play.

There are potential problems with any solution. I just think that it should consistently be "play on" or "fix it" or "do over."
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I find it very interesting that even with definite knowledge we are unable to correct this. I could understand if the correction would result in the end of the game however, if for some reason the clock is reset stay to 8 minutes, and it is discovered at the 6:55 mark (just some arbitrary time) that we would be required to set the clock to 4:00 rather than take of the 1:05 that elapsed.

I guess its one of these, lets just not let it happen. Lets both (or all three of us) make sure the clock is set correctly before the OT tip.
Yes Mark, I know that you are having a cow. How could vets let this game go into overtime.

Last edited by SAK; Wed Sep 23, 2009 at 12:01pm.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The same (or maybe it's the opposite) happens if the clock is set at less than 4:00 and a team sets up for and makes (or misses) a "winning" shot at which time the error is discovered. The clock error affected play.

There are potential problems with any solution. I just think that it should consistently be "play on" or "fix it" or "do over."
By the same token, if at the start of OT the clock was inadvertently set to 3:00 and not discovered until just right after time ran out, would we resume the game with 1:00 minute left?
That would be a can of worms.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 01:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
By the same token, if at the start of OT the clock was inadvertently set to 3:00 and not discovered until just right after time ran out, would we resume the game with 1:00 minute left?
That would be a can of worms.
You are right in both cases.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seems Odd ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
I find it very interesting that even with definite knowledge we are unable to correct this. I could understand if the correction would result in the end of the game however, if for some reason the clock is reset stay to 8 minutes, and it is discovered at the 6:55 mark that we would be required to set the clock to 4:00 rather than take of the 1:05 that elapsed.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)