The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have to make a retraction of sorts...........Lauren's team did NOT come in 5th at the State tournament of 67 teams. They came in 6th with a field of 70 teams.......NEVER trust daughters to give good information.......

I spoke with one of her coaches last night and he said before he left the TD gave them the 6th place slot because they lost about 10 minutes ahead of the other team that dropped at the same time in their bracket.......

Question??

At every tournament I have ever coached at, umpired at, been a spectator at, etc.......... It is known that in double elimination, you can quantify 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.....5th is a tie, as is 7th on down the line.......

I have never seen a TD decide places based on the time of day one team finished over another........

I know that if a tie has implications that make a difference for advancement........sometimes a coinflip or some other system is implemented to decide that......but the top 8 (I think) qualified for Regionals.......just a question........

Joel

Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Joel,

6th out of 70 is not too shabby either.

As for your question on the time element
thing, were they having the scorekeepers
write down the finish time. Did where
she played have the clocks on the score
boards? All watches synced???

Just wondering how they determined who
lost first because with that many fields
they are usually not starting same time
because of ITBs, wrong team being ahead
and home having to bat, etc.

To answer your question I thought the same
as you, on the placement of teams, ties, etc.

So, is the team going to the Regionals?
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Glen.......

I have no idea as to the reasoning behind the finishes......the coach told me that the TD told him what they finished.......I was not there.......I was here Umpiring and tending to Broken-Arm-Girl.........

As to Regionals...........that is undecided at this time..........there is some indecision.......defenitely not everyone can go............but may be able to..........HAVE to have both pitchers though.

Joel

Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Joel,
Seems to me that they will take the order of finish and use that at the next level - regionals in this case. They usually already have the brackets made out - and label each team as "Texas 1", "Lousianna 3", "A Qualifier 7", and so on. They know the maximum number of teams that they will have and this saves the bulk of the paperwork the week before the tournament - this way, the organizers only have to plug the right team name into their qualifying slot. And I have heard of them using the time the final score was reported as a tie-breaker - it's actually kinda common. This is how I think they set up the tournaments - I've never been a part of it and don't really want to be. But, if I were setting up a regional, this is likely how I'd do it.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmmm.........that makes sense

Now that makes sense to me.........

It just seems funny that both teams start a 10:00 a.m. game and one finishes at 11:30 and the other at 11:35.......but the way you explained it does seem right.......

I think it is the top 8 qualify.......and you can quantify that because there would be two tied for 5th (5th and 6th) and two for 7th (7th and 8th).

Thanks for the reasonable explanation on that Steve.....

One last thing........this is the 6th top 10 finish for one of the girls at State........always seem to be one win away from the trophies...........sigh

Oh well........the girls have always had fun........but just ONE win would be nice..........

Joel