The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

For Clarification and/or Correction...

Replaying a couple things from last night that I'm just in a funk on...

Team A is inbounding on the endline.....
As A2 has the ball at his disposal and we are administering the 5 second count B2 fouls A2....It's the 7th team foul....Partner said since it was a dead ball we were don't shoot FTs even though it was bounus time? Was that correct?

If A2 had fouled B2 would we be shooting (7+ fouls) or is it OOB for team B, spot closest to the foul? Just not something I get a lot of and when I do it's far and few between....

Second thing I'm fuzzy on today...Team control foul....shooting FTs or no?....Screener pushes the defender....I called it and thought from my reading on this board that no FTs. I signaled with the punch, then reported with the push.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs

As A2 has the ball at his disposal and we are administering the 5 second count B2 fouls A2....It's the 7th team foul....Partner said since it was a dead ball we were don't shoot FTs even though it was bounus time? Was that correct?

If A2 had fouled B2 would we be shooting (7+ fouls) or is it OOB for team B, spot closest to the foul? Just not something I get a lot of and when I do it's far and few between....

Second thing I'm fuzzy on today...Team control foul....shooting FTs or no?....Screener pushes the defender....I called it and thought from my reading on this board that no FTs. I signaled with the punch, then reported with the push.
Wait B2 fould A2? Was A2 the one inbounding or A1? B/C if B2 reached through and fouled the inbounder you have an intentional foul which yes you would obviously shoot...I'm assuming that you meant that A1 is the inbounder...in this case you still should have shot them since there is no team control during a throw-in for NF, this is just a common foul..if either team fouls you would shoot if you are in the bonus...

Second point, no you don't shoot on TC fouls...correct signal and reporting...
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Fuzzy on the first one...gut says no ft's...don't have time to look it up.

There are no FT's shot on Team control fouls...
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you actually saying that A1 had the ball at his disposal? From the context I'm not entirely sure. But...

Once the ball is at A's disposal it is live. If B fouls, and you're in the bonus, there will be free throws.

However, if B2 fouls A2 while A2 is OOB holding the ball for the throw-in (thus the source of my confusion), then you've got an intentional on B2. A2 would shoot 2 with the lane cleared. Then you'd come back to the spot of the foul for an A throw-in.

Quote:
Yes. You'd be shooting. The ball is live, but there is no team control (again, assuming that A1 is actually the player with the ball at his disposal).

Quote:
No free throws on a team control foul.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I am going to suggest that you learn definitions---

1) Ball is live when at the disposal of the thrower
2) If you have contact ( intentional or flagarnt) during a dead ball it is a T (
3) Team control fouls are called on team in control- There is no control on a throw-in
4) A common foul is a personal foul that is not flagrant or intentional

that all being said...

Partner was dead wrong- Ball was live- B commits common foul while you are over the limit -this is 1+1 or 2.

If A2 fouls it is not team control, it is a common foul that if in bonus is shot

Team control fouls never shoot shots

See Ruke 10-6 for summary of penalties (page 65 of book)
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
I am going to suggest that you learn definitions---

1) Ball is live when at the disposal of the thrower
2) If you have contact ( intentional or flagarnt) during a dead ball it is a T (
3) Team control fouls are called on team in control- There is no control on a throw-in
4) A common foul is a personal foul that is not flagrant or intentional

that all being said...

Partner was dead wrong- Ball was live- B commits common foul while you are over the limit -this is 1+1 or 2.

If A2 fouls it is not team control, it is a common foul that if in bonus is shot

Team control fouls never shoot shots

See Ruke 10-6 for summary of penalties (page 65 of book)

Good breakdown of particulars.........
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Wait B2 fould A2? Was A2 the one inbounding or A1? B/C if B2 reached through and fouled the inbounder you have an intentional foul which yes you would obviously shoot...I'm assuming that you meant that A1 is the inbounder...in this case you still should have shot them since there is no team control during a throw-in for NF, this is just a common foul..if either team fouls you would shoot if you are in the bonus...

Second point, no you don't shoot on TC fouls...correct signal and reporting...
A1 inbounding, we just gave him the ball, he's now looking for an open player to throw in to......B2 fouls A2 as they are running the inbound play...

We kicked that one, reading the responses...

Kelvin...my bad...the TC was another play...I didn't make that clear...sorry!
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
See Ruke 10-6 for summary of penalties
That's in the Ruke Bool??
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 inbounding, we just gave him the ball, he's now looking for an open player to throw in to......B2 fouls A2 as they are running the inbound play...

We kicked that one, reading the responses...
Remember the NFHS rule is different from the NCAA rule. In NFHS there is no team control during a throw-in, so one cannot have a team-control foul during this time and FTs for the bonus will be awarded if a foul occurs.
In NCAA this would be a team-control foul and thus no FTs.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 07:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
That's in the Ruke Bool??
To be precise, it would be the "Rukes Bool". Check the title on yours.