The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 02:55pm
In Time Out

few misc questions

kind of in responses to some of the other posts I've been reading. And also because I just had a few cups of green tea and my mind is a bit fuzzy right now.

One, on those trick plays you see or maybe just one on accident. player catches a pass and before dribbling tosses the ball to the side or over the defenders head and gets the ball again. Is the player allowed to dribble or grab the ball? How do you tell what is dribble or a pass in this situation

2. If shot goes through the rim from underneath is that a violation right away and is play stopped. If the ball goes underneath and hits the net and rim but goes not go through is that the same? If it isn't a violation I assume the shot clock would continue and a player would be allowed to get the ball and dribble again. edit--------------
3. What is your favorite color and who is Biggles.

Last edited by mutantducky; Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 02:58pm.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 03:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
My favorite color is burple and Biggles is a fictional pilot character and also a Monty Python character that was a take-off (no pun intended) on the original Biggles character.

Oh yeah - I had a pet weasel named Biggles once. Or, maybe his name was Steve. I can't remember.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 04:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
kind of in responses to some of the other posts I've been reading. And also because I just had a few cups of green tea and my mind is a bit fuzzy right now.

One, on those trick plays you see or maybe just one on accident. player catches a pass and before dribbling tosses the ball to the side or over the defenders head and gets the ball again. Is the player allowed to dribble or grab the ball? How do you tell what is dribble or a pass in this situation

2. If shot goes through the rim from underneath is that a violation right away and is play stopped. If the ball goes underneath and hits the net and rim but goes not go through is that the same? If it isn't a violation I assume the shot clock would continue and a player would be allowed to get the ball and dribble again. edit--------------
1. As long as the ball bounces before he grabs it, it's legal. He can either hold it or dribble it at this point. If, however, he holds it then dribbles again, it's an illegal dribble violation.

2. As soon as the ball goes up through the rim, it's a violation.

2a. It's not a violation until and unless it goes up through the rim from the bottom.

2b. No clue on the shot clock, but the player should be allowed to retrieve the ball and start a new dribble. My guess is the shot clock would reset if it was even remotely resembling a shot attempt.

3. 7
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules require the it to be a try for goal in order for a reset of the shot clock. A pass or loose ball striking the ring wouldn't warrant a reset.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 05:20pm
In Time Out

is that the same in high school? can't really remember reading about that. NCAA rule sounds good to me
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 05:21pm
In Time Out

can a try for a call be shot that hits the ground first if it is on purpose. more of a H-O-R-S-E shot but I suppose it could be done.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 07:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
is that the same in high school? can't really remember reading about that. NCAA rule sounds good to me
Yes, same in high school, but without the shot clock (in most states).

Quote:
can a try for a call be shot that hits the ground first if it is on purpose. more of a H-O-R-S-E shot but I suppose it could be done.
A try ends when it hits the floor. This would affect scoring (2 or 3 points) or shot clock resets (college).
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 10:06pm
In Time Out

so if the ball is bounced off the floor, horn to end game and then the ball goes in, disallow the basket? ha, that would be a wacky ending.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 01:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
so if the ball is bounced off the floor, horn to end game and then the ball goes in, disallow the basket? ha, that would be a wacky ending.
That is correct. You will most likely want to make a bee-line for the exit at this point.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 03:40pm
In Time Out

bzzzz. uno mas which is related to the last.

accidental baskets are counted like a player tipping the ball in for the wrong team or in the rare case a pass being deflected and into the basket. If something like that happened and say a pass goes off someone's head and there clearly isn't a try for a goal and the buzzer goes off while the ball is in the air then would the shot not count? I'm thinking yes it would count.

kind of thinking why the ball bouncing off the floor wouldn't count and if those would. If the buzzer goes off before the ball hits the floor then sure I see that but if it is in the air then the buzzer goes off. Anyways, it would be really cool to see that. (maybe to ref it not so much)
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

accidental baskets are counted like a player tipping the ball in for the wrong team or in the rare case a pass being deflected and into the basket. If something like that happened and say a pass goes off someone's head and there clearly isn't a try for a goal and the buzzer goes off while the ball is in the air then would the shot not count? I'm thinking yes it would count.

kind of thinking why the ball bouncing off the floor wouldn't count and if those would. If the buzzer goes off before the ball hits the floor then sure I see that but if it is in the air then the buzzer goes off. Anyways, it would be really cool to see that. (maybe to ref it not so much)
I hope that you don't think that you are having original thoughts.

Such plays have been discussed before and play rulings issued for them.

4.41.4 SITUATION B: A1’s three-point try is short and below ring level when it
hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through
the basket. RULING: The three-point try ended when it was obviously short and
below the ring. However, since a live ball went through the basket, two points are
scored in both (a) and (b). (5-1)

FROM FLOOR TO BASKET
5.1.1 SITUATION: A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 comes down several
feet in front of the basket. The ball strikes the floor without touching any player
and bounces into the basket. Are two points counted for A: (a) if not complicated
by expiration of time for a quarter or extra period or by a foul occurring
while the ball is in flight; or (b) if time expires while the ball is in flight or a foul
occurs while the ball is in flight? RULING: In (a), two points are scored. The tap
or the try for field goal by A1 ends when the ball touches the floor but a field goal
is sometimes scored when it is not the result of a tap or a try. In the case cited,
credit the two points to A1. In (b), since a pass is not a try, the ball becomes dead
immediately. However, a try or tap by A1 towards A’s basket does not become dead
until the try or tap ends, which it does when it touches the floor. (4-41-2, 4, 5)

NOT A TRY OR TAP FOR GOAL
5.2.1 SITUATION D: Following the free throws for a technical foul, A1 makes a
throw-in from out of bounds at the division line opposite the table. The throw-in
pass is deflected at A’s free-throw line by: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and it then goes directly
through A’s basket. RULING: Score two points for Team A in both (a) and (b).
The throw-in ended when the ball was touched by an inbounds player and the live
ball subsequently passed through the basket. The fact it was not a tap or a try for
goal does not affect the scoring of two points. (4-41-4)
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 06:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Your premise is incorrect. The key is that a basket is scored when a live ball passes through the ring. Normally, the horn means the ball is dead. The only real exception is on a try for goal. Since, in your plays, there either is no try or the try was over, there is no basket scored (just like when it bounces off the floor).

It does not matter whether the horn goes off before the ball bounces or after the ball bounces. If both things happen before the ball goes through the ring, no basket.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NCAA rules require the it to be a try for goal in order for a reset of the shot clock. A pass or loose ball striking the ring wouldn't warrant a reset.
New York State HS rules do not have this requirement. The ball striking the ring results in a reset of the shot clock.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 02:07pm
In Time Out

on this, just want to make sure.
5.2.1 SITUATION D: Following the free throws for a technical foul, A1 makes a
throw-in from out of bounds at the division line opposite the table. The throw-in
pass is deflected at A’s free-throw line by: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and it then goes directly
through A’s basket. RULING: Score two points for Team A in both (a) and (b).
The throw-in ended when the ball was touched by an inbounds player and the live
ball subsequently passed through the basket. The fact it was not a tap or a try for
goal does not affect the scoring of two points. (4-41-4)
---------------------------------------------------

So in the first if there is no shot for goal even if it goes off A, say off the head, time expires and then the ball goes in that would mean NO Basket?
2. Can the team on Defense have a try for a goal at the wrong basket. B1 shoots, time off, basket in goes in.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So in the first if there is no shot for goal even if it goes off A, say off the head, time expires and then the ball goes in that would mean NO Basket?
2. Can the team on Defense have a try for a goal at the wrong basket. B1 shoots, time off, basket in goes in.

1) That's correct.

2) A try, by definition, is at your own basket. If you "attempt to throw the ball through your opponent's basket" it's not a try, and so the ball becomes dead when time expires.