The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Please dont beat me up for asking these questions:

1) runner on 2nd - pitcher spins toward 2nd for a pick off attempt. prior to throwing the ball the runner takes off for 3rd. pitcher stops his motion then throws to 3rd for the out. legal?

2) runner on 2nd. no outs. fly ball to f7 who catches the ball cleanly then "carries" it into dead ball territory due to his momentem (unintentional). is the ball dead automatically and award base(s)? or can f7 come back in live ball territory and play resumes and whatever happens - happens? is the rule different for obr?

3)runner rounding third slips and falls. 3rd base coach helps runner up and back to 3rd. is this an immediate dead ball? which means that runner is out and all other runners return to their base at TOP? (br awarded 1st?)

please just give the Fed Rule unless for #2 OBR is different.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

1) Yes

2)The ball is not dead, the batter is out, and to my knowledge he would have to come back to the playing territory if he wanted to throw the ball for a play.

3)The runner on third is out and all runners return to bases. BR is awarded 1st.

I cannot quote the OBR or FED rules on these, but to my knowledge they are the correct calls. If not, then somebody please let me know.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

MDSooner,

1. Most likely legal, but it's at least possible that the pitcher could balk while doing this. For example...

a. If the pitcher stopped his motion prior to landing the step (not the throw, since he's not making a move to 1B) to a base ("hesitation balk" - failure to meet the "continuous motion" requirement on a move from the rubber).

b. If the pitcher's free foot had crossed the back plane of the rubber and then landed his step more towards 3B then 2B.

If he completed the step to 2B "smoothly" and then stopped & threw to 3B, he's fine.

FED: Batter is out. If both of the player's feet entered DBT or he fell into DBT, ball is dead, any runners are awarded one base from their TOP base. Any runners who had left their TOP base prior to the first touch by the fielder would be required to retouch or be subject to an appeal by the defense.

OBR: If the player remains standing and does not enter a "spectator area" ball remains live and in play. Otherwise, same as FED.

FED: The assisted runner is out and the ball is "delayed dead" - any outs obtained by the defense on the play stand. Any other runners return to the last base legally occupied at TOI. BR is out if the coach's interference occurs on a play where the batter became a runner and is put out by the defense on the continuous action of the play. If not, he is "awarded" 1B - even if he had reached an advance base on the action of the play.

OBR: The assisted runner is out, but the ball remains live and in play. Any outs or advances by other runners stand. Reading the rulebook Penalty for 7.09 would lead one to the logical conclusion that the ball is dead on a coach's interference in assisting a runner, but it's not.

JM
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Dude - as always, you need to crack open that rule book.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I promise . . .

Coach JM wrote:

"1. Most likely legal, but it's at least possible that the pitcher could balk while doing this. For example...

a. If the pitcher stopped his motion prior to landing the step (not the throw, since he's not making a move to 1B) to a base ("hesitation balk" - failure to meet the "continuous motion" requirement on a move from the rubber).

b. If the pitcher's free foot had crossed the back plane of the rubber and then landed his step more towards 3B then 2B."
---------------------

I will be nice, I will be nice, I will be nice, I will be nice, I will be nice,I will be nice.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Tim C.,

Please note that nowhere in my response did I use the phrase "balked to 2B".

JM
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Tim:

See what being "nice" gets you?
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

you're right crowder. I'll start doing that more often. It could probably be helpful in most situations huh? :-)