The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of misc. questions

When reporting a hack, or "illegal use of hands", what do you say to the table?

Re: a 5 second call. I have always understood the rule as a player cannot, while closely guarded, hold the ball for 5 seconds or dribble for 5 seconds....but they could do both. For ex: A1 is closely guarded and is dribbling. The count gets to 4 and then he picks up his dribble. At this point, a new 5 second count would start. My partner last night said that they have 5 seconds to either get past the defender or pass the ball. I think he was wrong, I even looked at the rule book again last night. What do you guys think?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbofficial

Re: a 5 second call. I have always understood the rule as a player cannot, while closely guarded, hold the ball for 5 seconds or dribble for 5 seconds....but they could do both. For ex: A1 is closely guarded and is dribbling. The count gets to 4 and then he picks up his dribble. At this point, a new 5 second count would start. My partner last night said that they have 5 seconds to either get past the defender or pass the ball. I think he was wrong, I even looked at the rule book again last night. What do you guys think?
1) "hit"

2) actually, while continuously closely guarded, a player can hold for 4 seconds, dribble for 4 seconds, then hold for 4 more seconds
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:39pm
M.A.S.H.

1) I say "Boom!"

2) Your partner is incorrect. You are correct.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:41pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbofficial

Why say anything about the nature of the foul to the table...Color, #, foul signal, and the # of free throws - if any...just show the "illegal use of hands" signal and don't say anything...
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Why say anything about the nature of the foul to the table...Color, #, foul signal, and the # of free throws - if any...just show the "illegal use of hands" signal and don't say anything...
Thanks for the responses, fellas.

I feel weird because I always accompany my other signals (push, hold, charge, block, illegal screen, hand check, as well as violations) with a verbal cue.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
1) "hit"

2) actually, while continuously closely guarded, a player can hold for 4 seconds, dribble for 4 seconds, then hold for 4 more seconds
1) I've never heard "hit" used, though it comes across to me better than "hack".

2) Or more precisely, hold or dribble for anything less than a full 5 count (i.e. 4.9 seconds). That's the scientist in me. The reality is that in these situations most of us start the count too late, and end too quickly. Take a look at how far 6ft really is, and see if that's when you see officials (or yourself) start the closely guarded count. We could count most all game going "by the book".
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 05:05pm

Other things that I have said for #1.) that has bought out a smile or two from the table, coaches, fans, etc.

Hit!

Hack in the act!

Hammer Time!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hit!

Hack in the act!

Hammer Time!
sounds like a great self-assessment.

sorry it was too easy
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

A couple years ago I quit saying anything with my signals at all. I'll verbalize the color and number, only show the signal, then verbalize the disposition. I consider it one thing fewer a coach can take exception to. If the coach wants to know more about the contact, he'll ask. Nobody else cares.

As for part 2: ART. 1 . . . A player shall not while closely guarded:

a. In his/her frontcourt, hold the ball for five seconds or dribble the ball for five seconds.

As was stated with such scientific precision earlier: 4.9 seconds to hold, 4.9 seconds to dribble, 4.9 seconds to hold. Which yields a massive 14.7 seconds total that a clever and daring ball handler can have the ball, all the while being closely guarded. Of course the entire home crowd will be going ape, screaming "five seconds!" and questioning your geneology, but that's all part of the fun of really knowing the rules

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 06:09pm.