The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 03:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yeah, I had it coming. Especially in this thread.

Now shut up.
I'm offended. I thought this was the kinder, gentler forum? Is the Jurassic period resurfacing?
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 03:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
But if the lead is bouncing the ball at that moment, it is not yet at the disposal of the shooter/thrower. It only becomes at the disposal when it reaches the shooter/thrower (or when the ball is placed on the floor at the spot).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
If it hasn't reached the thrower, and therefore is not at the thrower's disposal, then the ball is dead and the TO may be granted.
Good grief, you're both right. BNR's point was that I focused on player control when that is not necessarily required. However, my original point, that team control is not relevant, stands.

OK, new rule: During a live ball, only the player holding or dribbling the ball may request a timeout. My head will spin less that way.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 03:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm offended. I thought this was the kinder, gentler forum? Is the Jurassic period resurfacing?
It was getting too touchy-feely for a moment and I was getting dizzy.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 04:00pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Good grief, you're both right. BNR's point was that I focused on player control when that is not necessarily required. However, my original point, that team control is not relevant, stands.

OK, new rule: During a live ball, only the player holding or dribbling the ball, his/her teammates or their coach may request a timeout. My head will spin less that way.
Fixed it for ya
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Fixed it for ya
Nope, mine was my dream for the new rule. You just ruined it and now I'm going to cry.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 04:11pm
Ch1town

My badd
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's not what I said. I said it's possible to have team control without player control. Player control is required for a timeout. Team control is not relevant because it's not sufficient.

Even though it is not sufficient, I wouldn't say it is not relevant. Team control is implied by player control.

Not relevant would be like saying that the ability to be granted a timeout depends on the number of team fouls.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even though it is not sufficient, I wouldn't say it is not relevant. Team control is implied by player control.

Not relevant would be like saying that the ability to be granted a timeout depends on the number of team fouls.
When the question is, "what's sufficient to call a time out," the fact that player control implies team control is irrelevant. Team control is not sufficient. Player control is.

I won't quibble with the idea that team fouls are "more irrelevant."
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 04:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I would say it's not relevant because having team control has nothing to do with the ability to request a timeout.

Not only is it not sufficient, it's not even required (at disposal). Team control never matters. The fact that it's always present during player control means nothing with regard to timeouts.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would say it's not relevant because having team control has nothing to do with the ability to request a timeout.

Not only is it not sufficient, it's not even required (at disposal). Team control never matters. The fact that it's always present during player control means nothing with regard to timeouts.
Agreed. Team control is neither required, nor sufficient for a legal time out request. At best it is casually related. Sometimes.

Just a whacky analogy: A player who is holding the ball most likely has a pivot foot. But, like team control, there are cases where a time out may be granted without an established pivot foot. However, unlike team control, having a pivot foot is sufficient for a legal time out request (assuming the request comes from the holder, a player teammate or his/her head coach). So...as relevancy goes, having a pivot foot, which we would agree is completely irrelevant to time out requests, may be less irrelevant than having team control.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 05:27pm.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

I am glad we are so "anal" for words used in an example. Perhaps we should apply this "anality (does such a word exist?) to the rules

shame on me; especially when i am so pushy about the rules
I did say my example was incorrectly thought out...
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But, team control by the other team (among other things) does preclude being granted a timeout. And that is what I read the original post to be talking about...verifying that one team has control vs the other team having control. And, the fact that the other team does have team control directly means that a team can't have a timeout.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jul 08, 2009 at 08:31pm.