The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

New time out mechanic

I was wondering what anyone who has used the new time out mechanic thinks about it. Any thoughts?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Do you mean the horn at 15 seconds of a 30 instead of 20, or are you talking about the positioning of the officials during any time-out in 2-man?
BTW the positioning is not really new. It is actually a return to the old way. There has already been a thread on the forum about it.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 12:35am
Do not give a damn!!

The change of the horn is not a "mechanic." The changing of the positioning is a change in the mechanic. Whether it was new or not, I am sure not everyone is familiar with what was once used.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

I have no issue with the change. There were questions posted regarding the change on how officials would address the benches at the warning horn, depending on where the ball would be inbounded, etc. In Texas I am told we are not changing. We will continue to use Top of the Key and lower blocks for our postions.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
I was wondering what anyone who has used the new time out mechanic thinks about it. Any thoughts?
I think the return to the "old" mechanic is a good change. I never liked the mechanic of having both officials on the block or the top of the key.

That said, this falls at about number 1000 on the list of concerns.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I love it!!!
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:15pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Horn change is great, mechanic of standing at center circle and at the location of the inbounds (2-man only) is great.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:17pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I have no issue with the change. There were questions posted regarding the change on how officials would address the benches at the warning horn, depending on where the ball would be inbounded, etc. In Texas I am told we are not changing. We will continue to use Top of the Key and lower blocks for our postions.
I think TX is missing a good thing. Under the new mechanic, coaches now know where the ball will be put in play and the ONE ref can control both benches easily, rather than having both refs bringing them out with different force. Also let's you start the RPP easier.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
I think TX is missing a good thing. Under the new mechanic, coaches now know where the ball will be put in play and the ONE ref can control both benches easily, rather than having both refs bringing them out with different force. Also let's you start the RPP easier.
I agree that I thought it was a good thing in most cases. I was looking forward to the change. There will still be occasions when common sense should be used as with any mechanic.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Actually I think this mechanic is kind of silly. For one why would you want to put the ball on the floor? I can see it now, some cheerleader is going to fall over the ball or some kid or player and it will be our fault. Secondly, even in 3 person when we would stand exactly with the spot, coaches would still not know where the ball was coming in at. I even had a couple times where it was a debate as to where the ball should be put in. This is not going to do more than cause more problems if you ask me.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:50pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Actually I think this mechanic is kind of silly. For one why would you want to put the ball on the floor? I can see it now, some cheerleader is going to fall over the ball or some kid or player and it will be our fault. Secondly, even in 3 person when we would stand exactly with the spot, coaches would still not know where the ball was coming in at. I even had a couple times where it was a debate as to where the ball should be put in. This is not going to do more than cause more problems if you ask me.

Peace
You DON'T put the ball on the floor (unless you need to leave the spot to confer with the other ref, etc., which should be rare). You hold the ball at the spot of the throw in (preferable on the hip in the direction of the team throwing it in).
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You DON'T put the ball on the floor (unless you need to leave the spot to confer with the other ref, etc., which should be rare). You hold the ball at the spot of the throw in (preferable on the hip in the direction of the team throwing it in).
Why you put the ball on the floor is not a good reason anytime if you ask me. So if a coach cannot ask and you cannot tell them, there is a larger problem at work. Before that was not encouraged and I can tell you that I am not personally not going to be doing this. I also see the potential for spectators to also mess with the basketball. You do not have to agree, it is just my personal opinion. Just like some people do not see a need to use the “not closely guarded” signal, they do not have to use this mechanic either in my opinion.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:06pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Why you put the ball on the floor is not a good reason anytime if you ask me. So if a coach cannot ask and you cannot tell them, there is a larger problem at work. Before that was not encouraged and I can tell you that I am not personally not going to be doing this. I also see the potential for spectators to also mess with the basketball. You do not have to agree, it is just my personal opinion. Just like some people do not see a need to use the “not closely guarded” signal, they do not have to use this mechanic either in my opinion.

Peace
I agree I would not put the ball down on the floor. However, if you have schedulers that want you to look professional and you go stand at the old spot while your partner is with the ball/spot or at center court, you will look silly and not be scheduled for HS games. The coaches go to the same rules/mechanics meetings so they know where you are supposed to stand as well. Imagine you are at the low block (incorrectly), and your partner is at the center line (correctly), and the coach believes the throw in from the sideline when it's really at the endline in a tie game. He just spent a minute devising a play for the sideline. Guess who will call your state association and NOT recommend you for advancement?

You stand at the throw in spot for a visual / time saver.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 02:08pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
I don't like it because of its singular flaw.
Preceding a throw-in at the division line, the administering official cannot see the table through the the free official's backside.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree I would not put the ball down on the floor. However, if you have schedulers that want you to look professional and you go stand at the old spot while your partner is with the ball/spot or at center court, you will look silly and not be scheduled for HS games. The coaches go to the same rules/mechanics meetings so they know where you are supposed to stand as well. Imagine you are at the low block (incorrectly), and your partner is at the center line (correctly), and the coach believes the throw in from the sideline when it's really at the endline in a tie game. He just spent a minute devising a play for the sideline. Guess who will call your state association and NOT recommend you for advancement?

You stand at the throw in spot for a visual / time saver.
In my state, most coaches never attend a single rules meeting. Coaches know very little about mechanics in detail. I bet most coaches have no idea there has been a change. It is only required for a school to be represented each year from each school. That usually means the first year freshman B coach that has never coached before at the HS level attends these meetings. And they do not do a very good job passing along the information because most varsity coaches are surprised by many rules that are implemented. Secondly my state pretty much does 3 Person the entire season in most games (I am not working a single 2 Man varsity game this season and I work in multiple areas). Also all coaches can do is rate us, they have no recommendation opportunities. And I seriously doubt that any coach is going to care more about a silly mechanic used as compared to someone not being able to call a game properly.

So the last thing I am going to worry about is if I do not use this mechanic how it will directly affect me in my advancement. I am sure there are more things to it than this single mechanic.

Peace